Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Will you buy Skyrim for the PC or a console?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By LiquidPrince

Neither.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#152  Edited By Cirdain

Pc = win

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By MrKlorox
    @skrutop said:
    " These games are so much better on the PC.  But I play my games on the couch, in front of my TV. "
    They're not mutually exclusive.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#154  Edited By Cincaid

Both most likely.

PC version to fuck around with and toy around with mods.
    360 version to S-Rank and play serious with.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By NickL

i will wait to decide that until i actually see someone of the game besides the name and am able to find out which one the controls are more geared towards

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#156  Edited By butano

Both.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By sjupp

A little part of me wants to buy it for consoles, but with a good pc, I find PC-gaming superior. I also have a gamepad for those games where a mouse and keyboard just doesnt work. (Racing games, super meat boy, etc.)

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By sumbog

If my PC can run it then that.... if not well Im still gonna buy it off steam and then upgrade

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By fullmetal5550

I pre-ordered Skyrim for the PC. I will most likely rent it for my 360 though just to get the achievements.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Without the console version, I can't get achievements...

On the PC, I can't get mods, pay for a cheap price tag, better graphics, HD resolution, and better controls...

Hmmm...

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By predator
    @Tru3_Blu3: Well, Fallout 3 and New Vegas had GFWL achievements, so I'm sure the PC version of Skyrim will have them too. 
     EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot New Vegas was on Steam, so scratch that.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#162  Edited By FesteringNeon

Once I get a new laptop, i'll buy it for PC.. but as such, I gotta stick with console for now..  but, tbh really doesn't bother me, as i want a pure playthrough the first run anyway, and by the time I buy it for PC it should only cost $20-30 or so. Morrowind and Oblivion wern't too bad of an experience for me on xbox/ps3.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#163  Edited By Skald

Console 

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By defaulttag
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @skrutop said:
    " These games are so much better on the PC.  But I play my games on the couch, in front of my TV. "
    They're not mutually exclusive. "
    Correct! This argument people use to justify their console preference is invalid. I can understand the argument for price of hardware (console vs PC) as well as the simple menus of consoles (get in and start gaming) and even boot times of consoles vs PCs (unless you have SSD) along with not fumbling with a mouse to get to steam and start the game (which was never a big deal anyway from my experience). PCs in fact can hook up to HDTVs via DVI to HDMI cables. Even audio goes through those cables if you use an SPDIF cable from your sound card to your graphics card. With a wireless 360 controller and receiver for PC, the experience on a high end gaming rig is better compared to playing the same game on console due to the higher resolution and increased graphical settings. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By ryanwho

People who don't know much of anything about PC games like to get a spotlight shined on them sometimes by suggesting PC games don't use controllers and can't be played on big ass TVs. Its always very cute but then they get angry and start trolling. No need to press their buttons.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By defaulttag
    @ryanwho: well said sir, well said. let them enjoy their consoles. i'll go enjoy my PC. 
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#167  Edited By skrutop
    @defaulttag said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @skrutop said:
    Correct! This argument people use to justify their console preference is invalid. I can understand the argument for price of hardware (console vs PC) as well as the simple menus of consoles (get in and start gaming) and even boot times of consoles vs PCs (unless you have SSD) along with not fumbling with a mouse to get to steam and start the game (which was never a big deal anyway from my experience). PCs in fact can hook up to HDTVs via DVI to HDMI cables. Even audio goes through those cables if you use an SPDIF cable from your sound card to your graphics card. With a wireless 360 controller and receiver for PC, the experience on a high end gaming rig is better compared to playing the same game on console due to the higher resolution and increased graphical settings.  "
    Ok, so what you're suggesting is that I unhook my PC, pull all of my cables, which are zip tied and run just how I like them so they're not flopping all over the place, and buying a SPDIF cable, then lugging it downstairs and hooking it up to my TV, making my living room look like crap.  Then I get to tell my wife that she can't use the PC if I want to watch TV (or I have to carry it back upstairs).  Then you want me to go buy a wireless receiver and play it with a 360 controller anyway? 

Yes, I know you can hook up a PC to an HDTV, but it's not exactly logistically that simple, bud.  This is why you're argument is invalid in my personal context.  Instead, I'll spend $60, pop it in the 360, and enjoy it anyway despite knowing that the PC version offers mods and better graphics.  I'm not making that much of a sacrifice anyway; it's not like I'm playing it on a Wii.
    udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By udabenshen

I don't understand the whole "It was designed for consoles" thing.  Plug in a controller if its that big of a deal.  Also, better graphics, mods, better load times, mods, and oh yeah, MODS.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By ryanwho
    @skrutop said:
    " @defaulttag said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @skrutop said:
    Correct! This argument people use to justify their console preference is invalid. I can understand the argument for price of hardware (console vs PC) as well as the simple menus of consoles (get in and start gaming) and even boot times of consoles vs PCs (unless you have SSD) along with not fumbling with a mouse to get to steam and start the game (which was never a big deal anyway from my experience). PCs in fact can hook up to HDTVs via DVI to HDMI cables. Even audio goes through those cables if you use an SPDIF cable from your sound card to your graphics card. With a wireless 360 controller and receiver for PC, the experience on a high end gaming rig is better compared to playing the same game on console due to the higher resolution and increased graphical settings.  "
    Ok, so what you're suggesting is that I unhook my PC, pull all of my cables, which are zip tied and run just how I like them so they're not flopping all over the place, and buying a SPDIF cable, then lugging it downstairs and hooking it up to my TV, making my living room look like crap.  Then I get to tell my wife that she can't use the PC if I want to watch TV (or I have to carry it back upstairs).  Then you want me to go buy a wireless receiver and play it with a 360 controller anyway?   "
    Just existing in the world must be a chore for you if you can manage to make something pretty easy to do sound so perplexing and belabored.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @skrutop:   Don't make it sound like the impossible, because it's really simple.  One PC case, one HDMI cable, (optionally) one SPDIF cable, One Wireless XBOX 360 receiver and one wireless receiver for keyboard and mouse.  That's one or two cables and two dongles on the PC case.  It's not that complicated or messy at all.  Unlike your vagina.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#171  Edited By skrutop
    @SeriouslyNow:   Yup, ok.  I don't want to be inconvenienced, so I'll use my console.  But apparently that's the wrong answer, so I'm wrong. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By ryanwho
    @skrutop said:
    " @SeriouslyNow:   Yup, ok.  I don't want to be inconvenienced, so I'll use my console.  But apparently that's the wrong answer, so I'm wrong.  "
    You wanna handle this like a big boy or are you comfortable putting yourself on the cross over something pretty small. You don't have to be an expert in all things. You didn't know shit about this and now you know. Take this learning experience and become a better person.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Arker101

If I had a computer that could run it, and I was an experienced PC gamer? Sure, but since my computer can barely handle Halo:CE, I'll stick to consoles. 

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#175  Edited By shivermetimbers

The only thing that made Oblivion fun for me was to download mods and see what crazy crap people came up with. Since my PC isn't upgraded, however, I'll likely pass up the game and never play it.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#176  Edited By TobbRobb

Mods and mods and mods also mods. When i get a buggy-ass game i like to be able to fix it. I also prefer the PC for a bunch of other reasons, but that's the main one.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Rattle618
    @Gargantuan said:
    " PC because of the better graphics, lower price and mods. "
    This of course, this kind of game is not for console pussies :P
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#178  Edited By natetodamax

Console, mostly because I don't have a gaming PC, but also because I don't need mods to enjoy games.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By yorick

I would like to buy it on PC but mine won't be able to run it. So I'll play it on a console.
    Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Rebirth1337

I'm going to build a PC just for this game. I NEED MODS.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By defaulttag
    @skrutop: 

No, moving the PC to the living room is not what I'm saying. Heck, I don't even do that. (Brad Shoemaker was crazy enough to do that though and made his gf annoyed). I'm just giving info on ways to enjoy PC gaming without being tied down to a small PC monitor. When your PC monitor warrants a replacement for any reason, perhaps a few dead pixels, or if you're just due for an upgrade, replacing it with an HDTV is certainly an option (if you've got money of course). I have an HDTV as my PC monitor, but of course it's in my bedroom. The living room has a different HDTV. Also, SPDIF cables are only about 4 $USD and the holes they attach to in the sound board and graphics card are obvious if you look at the shape of the cable. Personally, I use a wired 360 controller which is plug and play on PCs. The receiver is separate, but it works with any wireless 360 controller you may already have. Playing consoles at an entertainment center in your living room is a great way to play games, especially if you have an awesome sound system. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If that is the experience you enjoy, go on ahead and continue to enjoy it. Console games do look decent. And that's right, the HD consoles look better than the Wii.   

However, those same games have more graphical potential when running on a gaming PC. No console game RENDERS at 1080p. They are only UPSCALED. For example, Black Ops is actually rendered in 640p, then upscaled to 720p or 1080p. Most games usually do render at 720p, however. That's why your TV reads the input as 1080p or 720p even though the game is actually rendered at something lower. Upscaling is essentially taking a lower resolution image, then stretching it proportionately to a higher resolution. Same thing happens when you upscale DVDs. DVDs are only 480p, but your TV will show a 1080p upscaled image. But that doesn't mean they are Blu-rays now, are they? Blu-rays produce 1080p images on their own, and have no upscaling done. That's why all the data stored in the blu-ray can actually be seen on screen as sharp details. Comparing it to the DVD version is like night and day. PCs, on the other hand, actually render video games at those higher resolutions. Also, depending on your screen, let's say you have a projector that goes beyond 1080p, such as 1600p, the high end PC can render that too. Unstretched, true, native, HD resolutions in full detail.  

Now if graphics is not what you're after, but the ability to just play the game using an awesome organized entertainment center, console is the way to go. It's convenient, pop the disc in and start. Again, console games look decent.  Some even look phenomenal like Uncharted 2 or God of War III. However, they are still only 720p and often have jagged polygons.  I own a PS3, myself. However, I limit my PS3 to exclusives, since my multiplatform games, I use the PC because those games really do look so much better.  But if you do develop a desire for sharper graphics, smoother polygons, and more detail for your games, the PC route is full of possibilities. If only they created user Geno's PC-console hybrid, where parts can be upgraded for better graphics, but the menus are stream-lined for console controllers. That would be awesome.   

In the end, your gaming preference is yours and yours alone. Mine is mine as well. However, there is nothing wrong with sharing info about gaming options and their pros and cons. 
    triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#182  Edited By triple07

If I had a PC I would buy it for PC but since I don't I'll be buying it for my 360. The only reason I would want the PC version is for mods though. Don't care about any of the other stuff. I think Bethesda games play fine on consoles.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Agent47

Well seeing as how there are a lot of PC gamers on GB I am not surprised.Though I am not rich myself and will just buy the console version as it is waaay less cheaper.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Agent47
    @Gargantuan: Lower price.........what? It is the exact opposite.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Gargantuan
    @Agent47 said:
    " @Gargantuan: Lower price.........what? It is the exact opposite. "
    New PC games = 40-50 euro
    New console games = 60-70 euro
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By ryanwho
    @natetodamax said:
    " Console, mostly because I don't have a gaming PC, but also because I don't need mods to enjoy games. "
    lol sour grapes 
    You can't miss what you never experience. People normally play the game without mods the first time, and the game continues to be relevant for years to come because of the mods. If you want to enjoy the 5th playthrough of this game 3 years from now, you kind of do need mods. You need mods like you need official patches and DLC. You can technically do without them but they only serve to make the game better. So enjoy your limited experience.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By sjosz

I played Oblivion without mods on PC, and then I tried the mods and they didn't really make the game any better/enjoyable for me, so this time around I'm picking up a TES game for console, because I like sitting on my couch more than I like sitting at a desk.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Vanilla Oblivion was awesome in itself, but mods can definitely take that game and expand it even further and make the replay value even higher. Morrowind & Oblivion have one of the biggest mod communities out there, really excited to see what they can do with Skyrim. Im not putting vanilla Skyrim down or anything like that, i know that Bethesda will deliver yet another great Elder Scrolls game for all to enjoy regardless of mods.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Vaile

Console. While the PC mods will undoubtedly be awesome, I'm a terrible PC gamer. 

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#190  Edited By DriveupLife
    @Sjosz: My thoughts exactly. Played morrowind with mods and it was still a very old xbox game at heart. Played Vanilla Oblivion on consoles and it was fantastic. (Oblivion was my first bethesda game, played morrowind after.) Getting skyrim on console because I don't mind playing my bethesda games without lady parts and loli mods.
    Nijntje1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#191  Edited By Nijntje1971

I hope they have a decent user interface this time. Not the copied one from the console version.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By monetarydread

I'm not going to waste my money on the console port. The version of Morrowind / Oblivion / Fallout 3 / New Vegas on console is complete and absolute shit in comparison to the PC version.

jayperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By jayperr

Changed my choice to PC. Since i will be getting a new rig for this and Battlefield 3 among other games. So PC my old friend, its nice to see you again! :)

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By A Likely Story
    @marcelloz said:

" I hope they have a decent user interface this time. Not the copied one from the console version. "

I believe I read somewhere that the PC UI will differ from the console version, but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Probably from one of the many magazine articles out there somewhere, so I ain't going to go digging for it. 

If it isn't more accommodating to a keyboard/mouse then there's going to be an uproar, especially after reading the UI article from Game Informer, which makes it sound the UI is even more console oriented this time around.
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By SlashDance

Even if the interface is the same on both platforms, modders will fix it in the first week so I'm not too worried by that. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#196  Edited By Griddler

PC, the superior version

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Lab392

Console, unfortunately. I don't think my laptop can run it.

Shagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Shagger

PC. Obviously. Better graphics, higher resolution, mods, etc.

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#199  Edited By iGaboru

PS3, my PC (Mac actually) won't be able to run it, I'm sure. And that's what I bought my console in the 1st place.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#200  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I like crazy stupid mods so PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.