Worth repurchasing on PC?

#1 Posted by Kiri90 (256 posts) -

So I've owned Skyrim on my 360 since last year, but I haven't played it in quite some time. I've been itching to go back to the game for a long time, but haven't committed to it since I've been busy with the current releases. Complicating the situation, Greenmangaming has Skyrim for $22.50 (after the 25% off voucher) right now, and I'm wondering if I could get some duders' thoughts on the PC version. Do you think that mods and better graphics (possibly faster load times?) make Skyrim worth repurchasing for PC at the $23 price point?

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

If you want to play more Skyrim then PC is the right place for it. You can also move your 360 save file over to PC because that's what I did when switching. Just google it, it's pretty easy to do with a USB stick.

#3 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

I would say yes, absolutely, especially if you have a computer that can run it well (and if that's the case then why didn't you just buy it on the PC in the first place?). Right now I'm torn on whether or not I should grab Dishonored on GMG for $23. Too many good deals!

#4 Edited by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

Yes. The Mod scene for it is amazing and Steam workshop makes modding easy, also grab the DLC's if you haven't since they are uber cheap. I have a copy for my 360 also but I never touched it after playing on pc

@Jrinswand: DO it! Dishonored is really good stuff. I think 23 is a great deal for the game

#5 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. And now that I know that you can transfer your saves I'm feeling even more tempted... dammit...

#6 Posted by WasabiCurry (419 posts) -

If you enjoy the game on 360, you will love the PC version better! One word, mods. Do it man, you know you want it~

#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1944 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

Yes. The Mod scene for it is amazing and Steam workshop makes modding easy, also grab the DLC's if you haven't since they are uber cheap. I have a copy for my 360 also but I never touched it after playing on pc

This! (But in my case I repurchased Oblivion after playing 360 and always bought PC since)

@Kiri90: And if you really want to go hardcore, look up the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) and use the Nexus Mod Manager (look up the Skyrim Nexus since it's the biggest mod database and with the SKSE there's a bunch of game-changing mods that add a whole bunch of great gameplay additions.)

Even if going all the way with that isn't your cup of tea there's a lot of mods that add quests/lands/characters/items/etc. that basically compare to the scale of a DLC and mods are always free!

Ever since I played TES IV: Oblivion on the 360, I've always played PC (spent so many more hours on Oblivion after repurchasing it on PC), the PC has always been the only platform I'll purchase Bethesda games on.

#8 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

Yes, a thousand times yes. I did the same thing and it's awesome; I get to play the DLC earlier with my 360 copy and still have access to all the  PC mods and enhancements.

#9 Posted by Iron_Tool (215 posts) -

Hell the F yeah!

#10 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

I think if you have any interest in getting back into Skyrim and have a capable PC, I have to give my full endorsement. My enjoyment of Bethesda's games went up exponentially when I switched to PC. I love Bethesda, but there's something about completely customizing your game to your wants and needs with mods that makes their games that much more enjoyable.

#11 Posted by trickology101 (29 posts) -

I think the PC version and its mods add a whole different experience that you would never be able to experience on the 360. Plus with the Black Friday Sale on steam, why not?

#12 Posted by Slaegar (686 posts) -

I would say yes.

Picture from NeoGAF. Now if only I could get an ENB working.
#13 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

I'm glad you asked this question, this is something I've been wanting to know, too. While I may put off purchasing the PC version a bit more (since I'll try to get games I haven't played before first), the comments here convinced me to eventually get the PC version (although I was leaning that direction already, haha).

#14 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

Yes, it's far superior on PC, especially with mods the game looks and plays way better.

#15 Posted by Camosid (110 posts) -

It's really nice and the mods are great, but sometimes I wish I didn't have access to them. I say "Imma get back into Skyrim" Then I spend 3 hours getting a ton of mods and then I get bored and never start playing. If I had it on a console I wonder if that would happen to me. Either way it's way more fun to play on a PC and if you have a good one it will run super nicely.

#16 Posted by Deathshroud (338 posts) -

@Jrinswand: I Just purchased that myself for the same amount . GMG is a pretty awesome place to find sales.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11562 posts) -

Most definitely. I did and the game is much better with some mods and SkyUI, and that's from someone who loved that game a lot on Xbox.

#18 Posted by Kiri90 (256 posts) -

Thanks a lot for the great feedback guys! I now own Skyrim on the PC. Looking forward to all the great modding action you guys have been talking about. Any great mods you guys recommend?

@Jrinswand said:

I would say yes, absolutely, especially if you have a computer that can run it well (and if that's the case then why didn't you just buy it on the PC in the first place?). Right now I'm torn on whether or not I should grab Dishonored on GMG for $23. Too many good deals!

The reason I didn't buy it on PC the first time is because I built my PC in February of this year, meaning I didn't have a capable PC at the time of its release. I think you should get Dishonored for $23. I am currently playing through it, and I am having a very enjoyable time with it. I'm trying to be stealthy, but when something goes wrong, I "amend" the plan. ;)

#19 Edited by Ben_H (3294 posts) -
@Slaegar  said: 

I would say yes. 

It's way easier than it seems to get ENBs running. You literally download it, extract, copy/paste the content into your Skyrim folder in SteamApps/common while merging any folders that require it, and then enable a couple of things in Skyrim.ini and the other .ini file along with the .esb (or is it something else) files, which you can do from Nexus Mod Manager.  It took me all of 5 minutes. It's the bajillion texture mods that take hours to get.  

Here's a couple of mine I just randomly took a day or so ago. I only have about 20 visual mods installed and it still is a fair amount of space taken up. I'm not even close to done yet.     Unfortunately I just have access to the cloud versions so they're crappy jpegs. I have proper screenshots on my desktop but that's turned off right now.   

The rocks are the craziest part of all this stuff. They actually look 3D in game. I think that was the parallax mod I installed.

I have better than this for nature images, but I didn't upload them yet.
Even with all that extra grass there is absolutely no performance hits. The ENB I used had some crazy FXAA built in so everything looks crazy smooth. I used to force AA through the video card drivers but this looks significantly better and works better with the crazy amount of grass. My trees are still a work in progress. So are most of the character models. I have high res clothing and armour but the skin on the characters, and the faces, leave a bit to be desired.
#20 Posted by Grillbar (1792 posts) -

its on sale on steam for 50% off dont know if thats cheaper since mine is in euro, and prices vary on different countries steam account but it might be more expensive then what you can get at greenman and if you have a good rip i would say get it

#21 Posted by Kiri90 (256 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@Slaegar said:

I would say yes.

It's way easier than it seems to get ENBs running. You literally download it, extract, copy/paste the content into your Skyrim folder in SteamApps/common while merging any folders that require it, and then enable a couple of things in Skyrim.ini and the other .ini file along with the .esb (or is it something else) files, which you can do from Nexus Mod Manager. It took me all of 5 minutes. It's the bajillion texture mods that take hours to get.

Here's a couple of mine I just randomly took a day or so ago. I only have about 20 visual mods installed and it still is a fair amount of space taken up. I'm not even close to done yet. Unfortunately I just have access to the cloud versions so they're crappy jpegs. I have proper screenshots on my desktop but that's turned off right now.

The rocks are the craziest part of all this stuff. They actually look 3D in game. I think that was the parallax mod I installed.

I have better than this for nature images, but I didn't upload them yet.
Even with all that extra grass there is absolutely no performance hits. The ENB I used had some crazy FXAA built in so everything looks crazy smooth. I used to force AA through the video card drivers but this looks significantly better and works better with the crazy amount of grass. My trees are still a work in progress. So are most of the character models. I have high res clothing and armour but the skin on the characters, and the faces, leave a bit to be desired.

Those screenshots look amazing! I'm looking forward to booting it up. Will probably work on importing my 360 save file tomorrow.

#22 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2954 posts) -

@Kiri90 said:

So I've owned Skyrim on my 360 since last year, but I haven't played it in quite some time. I've been itching to go back to the game for a long time, but haven't committed to it since I've been busy with the current releases. Complicating the situation, Greenmangaming has Skyrim for $22.50 (after the 25% off voucher) right now, and I'm wondering if I could get some duders' thoughts on the PC version. Do you think that mods and better graphics (possibly faster load times?) make Skyrim worth repurchasing for PC at the $23 price point?

I'd say no man. Kind of redundant buying a game for that much when there are other games out there you may not have played that are about the same price. Only reason I'd probably suggest getting it if you love skyrim, you have a good rig that'll play it well, and your intending to get into the mods for the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.