You guys need to check out Falskaar

#1 Edited by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -

On one of the previous Bombcast episodes Vinny , Brad and Jeff were talking about Mods and Brad brought up Skyrim.

I have been checking out some mods for my self. weather it be the deadly mutilation mod(Fallout 3) or Skyrim Resort i was amazed at the mod called Falskaar

A 19 year old college student called Alexander J. Velicky who is looking for a job at Bethesda has created this amazing Expansion pack.

Here is what this expansion pack contains

• - An entirely new land independant of Tamriel, roughly the size of 2-3 Skyrim holds.
  • - 20-30+ hours of gameplay.
  • - 26 quests, including a 9 quest long main story, and 17 side quests! (Along with some unmarked content)
  • - New items including new books, recipes, weapons and armors. (A mix of brand new, and retextured)
  • - Two new spells and a new shout.
  • - A bard with several unique new songs.
  • - A soundtrack containing 14 brand new tracks composed by Adamm Khuevrr just for Falskaar, adding more than 40 minutes of new music!
  • - A fully voiced experience, featuring almost 30 semi-professional and professional voice actors and actresses.

Here are some screen shots of me messing with Falskaar

I cant get down now
WOOOOOOOOOO!

Here is a link of PC gamer`s interview with the creator http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/16/behind-falskaar-a-massive-new-skyrim-mod-and-the-19-year-old-who-spent-a-year-building-it/

Here is a link to the Mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37994/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D37994%26preview%3D&pUp=1

And finally here is the Trailer for Falskaar

The only downside is that this Expansion pack is going to drain another 20 Hours out of me.

#2 Posted by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

But see, if I acknowledge the presence of GOOD Skyrim mods, how can I continue to be dismissive and act like all Skyrim mods are clean faces and massive knockers?

#3 Edited by Zeik (2188 posts) -

Very impressive. Now if only I had a computer that could handle it.

Assuming that music in the trailer is part of the new soundtrack that may actually be one of the most impressive parts of the whole thing.

#4 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Interesting, but that trailer didn't win me over and I'm sure the quests and content aren't that amazing. I'll continue my Skyrim hiatus for now, but thanks for the heads-up.

#5 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Cool, I forgot the name of this when the GB guys were talking about it.

#6 Posted by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -
#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

But see, if I acknowledge the presence of GOOD Skyrim mods, how can I continue to be dismissive and act like all Skyrim mods are clean faces and massive knockers?

Those aren't the same-thing?

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

Worry not, comrade. There are still plenty of those to go around, all is well!

#9 Posted by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

@president_barackbar said:

Worry not, comrade. There are still plenty of those to go around, all is well!

Oh good, I was worried there for a second that I might actually have to refrain from my easy comedic low blows and actually recognize that people are making good mods.

#10 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@president_barackbar: you are only really deep into it if you download stuff like the fitness mod that gives your women abs in various levels XD

#11 Posted by natetodamax (19164 posts) -

This seems pretty amazing. I don't have the means to play it sadly, but it's still awesome that this exists.

#12 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

That armor you wear looks disgusting

#lightarmor

#13 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

I do not like the creator's attitude. He automatically assumed "well, I created a pretty good mod, Bethesda should hire me!"

Ugh. Stuff like that's happened before, but that was not JUST because they created a good mod. They got it because they were hired because of something specifically.

Wiz got hired at Paradox not because CK2+ was the most popular mod but because he was good at something that they needed (AI programmer)

#14 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

It all sounds awesome but judging from the screenshots and the trailer it looked exactly like Skyrim to me. Exactly.

I'm not talking about how he only used vanilla assets, which is understandable, but rather the placement of those assets... there just isn't much creative use of them. Look at Nehrim for Oblivion. Almost all vanilla assets but absolutely nothing feels similar because they were mixed and matched to create new combinations of buildings and landscapes. The terrain the mod showed looked like: I'll place the Throat of the world mesh but shrinked here. I'll place some Whiterun houses here. And then for all the empty land i'll put some trees to fill up the world.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong; I haven't got the time to play through games i wanted to play already.

#15 Posted by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -

@themangalist: I want someone to make a proper quest line about the daedra that would be awesome.

#16 Edited by Zeik (2188 posts) -

@animasta: I think you've got that backwards. As far as I understand it, this is basically his resume for Bethesda. He created it with the express purpose of trying to get Bethesda to hire him. He didn't make it and then tried to get Bethesda to hire him after realizing it was well received. And I don't get the impression that he actually thinks this should be a guaranteed hire, just a way for him to stand out.

#17 Posted by altairre (1113 posts) -

@zeik said:

@animasta: I think you've got that backwards. As far as I understand it, this is basically his resume for Bethesda. He created it with the express purpose of trying to get Bethesda to hire him. He didn't make it and then tried to get Bethesda to hire him after realizing it was well received. And I don't get the impression that he actually thinks this should be a guaranteed hire, just a way for him to stand out.

I agree with this. If his goal is to work at Bethesda and this is his way of showing how much he is willing to do for it then I can only applaud him. It must have taken a ton of time and dedication and of course he knows it's not a guaranteed hire. There is nothing wrong with it.

#18 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

@animasta said:

I do not like the creator's attitude. He automatically assumed "well, I created a pretty good mod, Bethesda should hire me!"

Ugh. Stuff like that's happened before, but that was not JUST because they created a good mod. They got it because they were hired because of something specifically.

Wiz got hired at Paradox not because CK2+ was the most popular mod but because he was good at something that they needed (AI programmer)

So he's not supposed to be proud of his work? He's not supposed to use a very well done mod on his resume to get hired for his dream job of working at bethesda?

Come on...You're just looking for reasons to hate on it.

#19 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2283 posts) -

Wait, I heard about this weeks ago. Has it really taken until now to get this on the forums?

Anyway, yeah that kid is crazy talented. Submitting a gigantic mod as an application is pretty classy.

#20 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@zeik: I know that. His comments on the subject just seemed a little presumptive is all.

@animasta said:

So he's not supposed to be proud of his work? He's not supposed to use a very well done mod on his resume to get hired for his dream job of working at bethesda?

Come on...You're just looking for reasons to hate on it.

I'm really not. being proud of your work is all well and good, but my point is that is there any one part of this mod that great that they need to hire him for it? I Haven't played it so I don't know, but just making a decent (or even pretty good) mod isn't enough, otherwise I bet those uh... oh god, that oblivion mod that people really liked that I cannot remember the name of (they were German) would've gotten them a job.

Is the story really good? is the art really good? If nothing stands out, then why should Bethesda care? I mean, my point is that no one gets hired as an idea guy; they need specific skills, whether that be writing (world building, side quests, main plot), art, programming, whatever.

#21 Posted by Zeik (2188 posts) -

@animasta: I haven't read too many of his comments, so maybe I missed something, but is he actually presuming this mod will get him hired on the spot, or just get his foot in the door? Most media based jobs require you to show the work you've done, and doing a big mod like this seems like a smart way to stand out. If he's assuming this would increase his likelihood of getting an interview I think that's perfectly fair. If he thinks this is all he needs to get hired then I agree it's presumptive.

#22 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

@animasta: I dunno. I've heard lots of good things about this mod, not just from this thread. But regardless, he's not JUST making a mod. He's doing it as an extra thing.

I mean you're speaking from a point of pure ignorance when it comes to this mod, you said yourself, you have no idea what the mod is like. So why start trashing his positive attitude?

If he comes in with a good resume AND has this to show for it, then I'm sure it'll put him over his competition because it shows his passion and creativity.

Him making an ambitious mod hoping it'll get bethesda's attention is a good thing for everyone. So why bitch about his attitude? Players benefit from big cool mods. The creator benefits from it making him stand out. Bethesda benefits from having their games get big mods like this one and for prospective employees trying to stand out against each other so they can get the best ones. So whats the damn problem?

#23 Posted by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -

@zeik said:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.