Bethesda have 'no plans' for more Elder Scrolls games

• 76 results
#51 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

But I'm not overly disappointed that they aren't working on a 5th game, Oblivion did end the series quite nicely, and although they could obviously go back and revisit the universe, I'd prefer to see them working on something else.  Why is Halo the only series that gets bashed when it's announced they're releasing an expansion for one of the most popular games of all time, yet a 5th Elder Scrolls game, not counting spin-offs and expansions is what everyone wants?

I say give the series a rest.

Good point but considering the likes of FF, Street Fighter, Mega Man etc. and even dynasty/samurai warriors are all well into double digits (screwed up chronology/numbering aside) ES run is not so bad.

Also, am I the only one who liked Oblivion more than morrowind? :(  Yeh it was dumbed down but for some reason I found it way more enjoyable.
#52 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Thank god.
#53 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@MatthewMeadows said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @tekmojo said:
" Morrowind > Oblivion "
x100
I don't want to say Oblivion was "dumbed down" but they definitely simplified it massively to appeal to a wider audiance, and it lost a lot of what made the past Elder Scrolls games so great.

But I'm not overly disappointed that they aren't working on a 5th game, Oblivion did end the series quite nicely, and although they could obviously go back and revisit the universe, I'd prefer to see them working on something else.  Why is Halo the only series that gets bashed when it's announced they're releasing an expansion for one of the most popular games of all time, yet a 5th Elder Scrolls game, not counting spin-offs and expansions is what everyone wants?

I say give the series a rest.

@MatthewMeadows said:
" You misquoted the guy. They have not plans for THE ELDER SCROLLS 5. Could be a Morrowind/Oblivion sequal or an MMO. "
That makes no sense.  I sequel to Morrowind or Oblivion would be the Elder Scrolls 5, even if they decided to go back and set the game in Vvardenfell again, it would still be the 5th game.  Are you suggesting they make an Elder Scrolls V:  Morrowind II?    And an high fantasy MMO is the last thing we need, even set in the Elder Scrolls universe, is it really necessary?  The Elder Scrolls was always supposed to be a single player experience, which is why they refused to include any form of multiplayer/co-op in Morrowind and Oblivion..  I have a hard time believing they'd go against everything the series was supposed to stand for, for the sake of making a few quick bucks. "
Is that why they registered like 100 URLs relating to an Elder Scrolls MMO? "
Never said it wouldn't happen..  Just that they'd be selling out.
#54 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I'm sure there will be one. But the fact that they don't have current plans means it will be a while.

That makes me sad.

#55 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

This is misleading, they say they have no current plans for an Elder Scrolls game. So it's quite likely that we'll see another game from Bethesda in the Elder Scrolls saga, just not quite as soon as we'd like too.

#56 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" @Druminator said:
" That sucks, I fucking love Morrowind. "
There you go. "
No my friend. I have never played Morrowind and believe me, I am ashamed to not have discovered Elder Scrolls before Oblivion.
#57 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

I really hope this isnt true, elder scrolls is one of my favourite game series of all time and would love to explore more of that world.

#58 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
@Crixaliz said:
" @HandsomeDead:   They outsourced Fallout to Bioware I believe "
Obsidian, actually.
#59 Edited by Potter9156 (940 posts) -

Pete Hines just posted on the Bethesda Blog, clarifying Howards comment at QuakeCon:

That was not a direct quote from him. That was someone's interpretation of what he said. I know, I was there. At his QuakeCon talk he was asked when TESV is coming out and Todd replied, "Don't look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future." He also went on to say how much the franchise means to us and that it definitely will continue. He just wasn't going to provide any timeframe on "when." This should not be news to anyone that has been paying attention. Both Todd and I have said repeatedly that, of course, we're going to do another Elder Scrolls game. The last one was enormously popular. So was the one before that. You get the idea. So do we.  

#60 Posted by Cloneslayer (1624 posts) -

destuctiod just ran a story saying they misquoted him and that there may be a Elder Scrolls 5, just not soon. This is in line with the post above me.

#61 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Game|Life on Wired.com think they just may be working on Elderscrollsonline......

• By Tracey John
  • August 17, 2009  | 
  • 11:58 am  | 

There are no current plans to make Elder Scrolls V, said Bethesda Softworks’ Todd Howard.

Speaking at id Software’s QuakeCon 2009 last week, the game director said, “We are working on our next big game, but we are not talking about it.”

The follow-up to 2006’s blockbuster role-playing game Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion isn’t coming anytime soon (even though we were supposed to get it in 2010), but perhaps the “big game” he’s talking about is a massively multiplayer online experience of the Elder Scrolls franchise instead. Speaking about the rumored Elder Scrolls MMO, he added, jokingly, “There’s always a chance.”

But it may just be more than that. The super sleuth at Tumblr blog superannuation (the same one who discovered Blizzard’s trademarking of “cataclysm”), discovered several web domains with the nameserver of Bethesda parent company Zenimax as their host. Web domains such as elderscrollsmmo.com and elderscrollsonline.com, for instance.

This doesn’t confirm the game’s existence, but time will tell whether these domains will ever come to use.

Do you prefer Elder Scrolls as a single-player experience, or a massively multiplayer one?

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Image courtesy Elderscrolls.com

#62 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

Noes you nwah

#63 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Stop lying?  Why do you lie!  I dont fucking believe it!  The next Elder Scrolls has to come out in 2010, it has to, ESIV came out in 2006, its too long.  Fuck! Nooooooo! 
Elder Scrolls V: Empires 
Elder Scrolls V: Enterprise
#64 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

wha!? This makes no sense! They start to make $ on another game franchise and drop their #1 game franchise out of the blue? Is bethesda retarded! Is someone paying them $ under the table or holding a gun to their head? I'm sorry but this blows my mind.

#65 Posted by Cloneslayer (1624 posts) -
@Metroid545 said:
" wha!? This makes no sense! They start to make $ on another game franchise and drop their #1 game franchise out of the blue? Is bethesda retarded! Is someone paying them $ under the table or holding a gun to their head? I'm sorry but this blows my mind. "
they still making it, its just going to be a while. I'm guessing an early 2011 release
#66 Posted by BlackIrish05 (348 posts) -
#67 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

So Xbox 720 on idtech 6, or something. Gives them time to teach their artists how to properly draw and render faces that aren't hideous.

#68 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" So Xbox 720 on idtech 6, or something. Gives them time to teach their artists how to properly draw and render faces that aren't hideous. "
And hopefully hire some better animators.  I seriously know college students that would do a better job.
#69 Posted by MythDarK (535 posts) -

Ever heard of "The boy who cried wolf "?

#70 Posted by Pinkshley1 (453 posts) -

I hope they arent going to make the Fallout their main series. Elder Scrolls has so much more potential. And no V.A.T.S.

#71 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -
#72 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

For people who are too lazy to click on links here's an exerpt from Pete Hines' clarification, "At his QuakeCon talk he was asked when TESV is coming out and Todd replied,  'Don't look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future.' He also went on to say how much the franchise means to us and that it definitely will continue. He just wasn't going to provide any timeframe on 'when.'"

#73 Posted by Mokes (36 posts) -

Unless they're making a new RPG, what's the RPG dev team to do? TES V NAO DEMN IT!

I don't give a crap about Brink, about anymore Fallout 3 DLC, Fallout 4 or Fallout: New Vegas. I want more Elder Scrolls.

#74 Posted by Cartridge_Eater (6 posts) -

No plans for TES V ?
How is it possible - Oblivion is one of the most popular game on current-gen

#75 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

That's weird considering it's thier flagship franchise as opposed to the other games that they've made (which, let's be honest, aren't great).

#76 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

I like how people only read the title, and a few lines of the original post, and nothing else, before posting. Because if you did read the other post, you'd know the original post is false and misquoted, like many mentionned afterwards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.