Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls

Franchise »

The Elder Scrolls is a long-running franchise of role-playing games made by Bethesda Softworks. The series is known for offering much freedom to the player and many choices of how to play.

Elder Scrolls novel to release this fall

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Potter9156
    "Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, and Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, are pleased to announce that Del Rey Books will publish two novels based on Bethesda Softworks' award-winning, high-fantasy video game series, The Elder Scrolls®. The best-selling game series is known for giving the player the ability to choose how their story will play out and unfold, and for the incredible amount of lore and depth found in these rich game worlds. Penned by New York Times bestselling author Greg Keyes, the novels will be all-new, original stories based in The Elder Scrolls universe. The first novel – The Infernal City – is set to be published in Fall 2009. Among Keyes' prior works are the Age of Unreason tetrology (for which he won the prestigious "Le Grand Prix de l'Imaginaire" award), and three New York Times bestselling Star Wars novels in the New Jedi Order series.

"We've been big fans of Greg's work for a long time, and we're thrilled he agreed to bring his talents to
    The Elder Scrolls," said Pete Hines, vice president of public relations and marketing for Bethesda Softworks. "We see these books as a natural extension of the franchise and think fans will love the stories and characters Greg has created."

The Infernal City is set after the events of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, the latest game in the video game series, and finds the citizens of Tamriel once again facing an uncertain future. Floating high above the land is a strange and mysterious city that is casting a horrifying shadow – wherever it falls, people die and rise again as undead. It is up to an unlikely duo – a seventeen-year-old girl named Annaig and the Emperor's young son, Prince Attrebus – to rescue the kingdom from doom. Annaig and Attrebus' quest will take them through the Elder Scrolls universe and their adventure is sure to add to the series' already magnificent mythology." 

Come on! A flying city with a shadow that turns people into zombies? A teenage protagonist? Is this a JRPG?

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shrig32

The plot sounds terrible. =(

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Oy

How many kids did the emperor have anyways? jeez.  I'll buy it anyways I guess.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shrig32
    Oy said:
    "How many kids did the emperor have anyways? jeez.  I'll buy it anyways I guess."
    It'll be one of Martain's kids, I assume =)
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Potter9156

It just said "the Emperor's young son", there is most likely a new emperor.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Goody Gumdrops!

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By atejas

If they try making a Fallout novel the frothing neckbeard rage will be nothing short of delicious.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Pazy
    shrig32 said:
    "The plot sounds terrible. =("

I thought the same about Oblivions plot, the emperor dies in front of you just as gates to "hell" spawn everywhere and its up to you to (essentially) single-handedly find lots of artifacts and take down what amounts to the devil. It plays better in the game than it sounds on paper, though I played it for the side quests.
    shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shrig32

it's hard to avoid the main quest in a novel =(

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond
    a seventeen-year-old girl named Annaig and the Emperor's young son, Prince Attrebus

So it's a sequel to lusty argonian maid?
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Gmanall

I am still waiting on the PSP game Humph

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By inkeiren

Why can Bethesda write 100 sidequests that have great stories but not create one good one for the main storyline or for a book?

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shrig32
    Gmanall said:
    "I am still waiting on the PSP game Humph"
    It was cancelled =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.