Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls

Franchise »

The Elder Scrolls is a long-running franchise of role-playing games made by Bethesda Softworks. The series is known for offering much freedom to the player and many choices of how to play.

Elder Scrolls series

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bobcat1794

I never really liked Elder Scrolls until this last week when my friend let me borrow Oblivion and i ended up lovin it, so now im addicted to findin out if theyre makin a new Elder Scrolls, also i would like to get your opinion on the series and if they should and are makin a new one.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I personally enjoyed Morrowind a lot more than I did Oblivion.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Elder Scrolls is fuuuuun.
    Lots to do and see, hope they come out with a new one instead of the MMO rumors that we keep hearing.

Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Here's hoping
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bethesda has said specifically that you shouldn't expect a new one anytime soon, but they'll get to it eventually. I loved Oblivion when I had it on the 360, and fell in love with it all over again on the pc due to the sheer volume of excellent mods.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

No official news on the Elder Scrolls. Although there has been rumors on and off regarding the 5th game to be an MMO and/or a launch title for the next generation of systems.

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By silentghost227

Bethesda has been working on something for awhile now and they said that once they announce it, the game will come out shortly after that. It might be a new Elder Scrolls....heres hoping. 

If you started with Oblivion then I doubt that you will like Morrowind very much unless you really stick with it. 

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Berserker976

Morrowind is the better game if you're looking at it against Oblivion, can't speak to the quality of the earlier games as they were before my time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, the first two are legally free on the Elder Scrolls website, although you need DOSbox to run them. Arena is borderline unplayable in this day and age, and while Daggerfall is hilariously janky and most definitely a product of its time, it at least has some redeemable traits. As someone else who started with Oblivion, I find Morrowind much, much, much harder to get into, but even so it's still a good game and worth checking out.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

I really want to like Oblivion, but haven't been able to get into it much yet.  I'm annoyed at the leveling system in the game at the moment.  Maybe I'll work things out and be able to enjoy it.  I'll give it another go when I'm not worn out on it.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Jayzilla

I really hope they go with a Demon's Souls approach to combat in the next elder scrolls game. The combat and animation in that series has always been sub-par compared with the rest of the experience.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@DragonBloodthirsty:  If you play it on PC there are boatloads of mods that change the leveling.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

The most amazing thing in the world would be Bethesda showing up at PAX or E3 with a playable demo of the next Elder Scrolls game. Would be a total shocker for everyone.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @TheSeductiveMoose:  Same. Oblivion just isn't as exciting as Morrowind is.
    dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By dillonwerner

The lead designer for Oblivion was working on a different game project (I forget what it's called) but I don't know if that'll have any effect on the new EDS game.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Aronman789

TES series is awesome, though personally enjoyed Morrowind more then Oblivion, also, if you want mods, don't buy off steam, learned this the hard way

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By schizogony
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By mosdl
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " Bethesda has said specifically that you shouldn't expect a new one anytime soon, but they'll get to it eventually. I loved Oblivion when I had it on the 360, and fell in love with it all over again on the pc due to the sheer volume of excellent mods. "
    I always find GB to not have enough mods info in the wikis, which is a shame
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

i started playing it actually also. i am enjoying it also. i have it for the PC so i am also downloading mods for it. i want to see another one be made.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Driadon

I love them all, though they have really shrunk in scope ever iteration as well as became a bit more user friendly (some might call it dumbed down). 
    But, yeah, I do love me some Elder Scrolls.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Oblivion is amazing. It's the first 360 game that impressed me. I played it to death, and then decided to max out a character getting all +5 modifiers each level right after exiting the sewers. That way I can start a game anytime I feel like it, and experience everything Oblivion has without the tedium of leveling. That's basically the only problem I have with Oblivion. The game requires you to do specific repetitive tasks to maximize character leveling. The character leveling system needs to be replaced.  What they did with Fallout 3 was fine.  

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#22  Edited By Stefan
    @SpiralStairs: I am willing to jump on that train with you guys. Morrowind's story was just as uninteresting as that of Oblivion, maybe Oblivion was even better but the gameplay and the world felt way more open and involving. I didn't like the simple traveling system, the "happy" looking world, or that the cities were instances.  

If I remember correctly some time around Fallout 3 came out the guys from Bethesda said that 'people can guess what comes next', hinting towards the next TES installment.
    Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Matfei90

The Elder Scrolls is one of my absolute favourite series in gaming. I started late - with Morrowind, but I've been addicted ever since.

I've gotten vastly more value out of them than nearly any other game I've ever played.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.