Elder Scrolls V?

• 59 results
#1 Edited by Amorfati (221 posts) -
 Thieved from: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.151698 
  EDIT:

"

Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

A UK Bookseller's website let slip that the next Elder Scrolls game mightbe set two centuries after the massively successful Oblivion.

The slip came in the form of some sales blurb for the upcoming Elder Scrolls novel Infernal City by Greg Keyes on the UK bookseller Waterstones website. The text has since been edited away, but read:

"A novel that takes places forty-five years after the Oblivion Crisis, which is the story of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion game and the expansion pack Shivering Isles. It partly bridges the gap for the next game, which is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis."

If this is true, not only does it confirm that an Elder Scrolls V is in the works - not that that will really come as much of a surprise - but also gives Bethesda plenty of scope to do something interesting with the game; Vvardenfell with renaissance level technology, maybe even hunting Cliff Racers (to extinction) with a musket? That sounds pretty cool to me!

Source: VG247

"

#2 Posted by teh_destroyer (3561 posts) -

Yes please!

#3 Edited by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
#4 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -

It makes me wonder though, will it be fun without guns? We've all been used to Fallout 3, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to go back to sword fighting and shields. And I don't think there is any way they could put guns in that isn't contrived. I guess there could be muskets and that sort, but would that be fun? As jeff says: modern guns > old guns.

#5 Posted by maxvandenderen (22 posts) -

Sounds awesome, wonder how the world wil change over 200 years.

#6 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -
@pirate_republic said:
" It makes me wonder though, will it be fun without guns? We've all been used to Fallout 3, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to go back to sword fighting and shields. And I don't think there is any way they could put guns in that isn't contrived. I guess there could be muskets and that sort, but would that be fun? As jeff says: modern guns > old guns. "
They could put guns like they have in Warhammer (fantasy versio btw), some of the races have wooden machine guns and electric cannons and shit, that would work imo
#7 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

Guns? Yes please. The combat in Oblivion was shite, so I'd love to see guns in TES V(even if they're primitive).

#8 Posted by macandcheese (223 posts) -
@addictedtopinescent: I recently went and played Oblivion for the first time after I had played Fallout 3 and Obilivion was supposed to be this great game. I just played a charecter who used magic and I ended up playing the game as if I had a invisible gun that shot fire from my arms. The sword and shield stuff was somewhat tiresome but I think if they balence it well enough it will work
#9 Edited by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

hell yeah! I was under the impression they had dropped elder scrolls so this is good to hear! 

hope its the same combat with swords and magic and no guns F3 was ok but the shooting wasn't fun

#10 Posted by Drebin_893 (2899 posts) -

Elder Scrolls is set on the planet Nirn, so the timeline is completely separate to Earth's. This gun speculation is entirely on the wrong track.

#11 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Muskets? I hope so!

#12 Posted by Jwkokosmakroon (158 posts) -

Forget muskets, Cannon ftw! ^^
#13 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

No guns please, that would suck.

#14 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -
@addictedtopinescent said:
" @pirate_republic said:
" It makes me wonder though, will it be fun without guns? We've all been used to Fallout 3, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to go back to sword fighting and shields. And I don't think there is any way they could put guns in that isn't contrived. I guess there could be muskets and that sort, but would that be fun? As jeff says: modern guns > old guns. "
They could put guns like they have in Warhammer (fantasy versio btw), some of the races have wooden machine guns and electric cannons and shit, that would work imo "
Or they could just stick with melee weapons and bows. Combat with said weapons is way more awesome then shooting lasers. Fuck lasers and bullets.
#15 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I want spells and weapons to be combined, like in Oblivion you would shoot fireballs with one hand and slash a sword with the other, Why can't you put your "magic" hand over your sword and embed it with fire so you have a flaming sword?

#16 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -

Anyone wishing for guns in this game probably doesn't understand the themes and influences surrounding The Elder Scrolls.  Do you really want the series to turn into an FPS?

#17 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

Nice, I love a good rumor. I hope some more information gets out as Elder Scrolls 5 would be awesome.  No guns though, I'll play Fallout for that.

#18 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

It would be sweet if it was like the 18th century, with pirates a stuff.

#19 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" It would be sweet if it was like the 18th century, with pirates a stuff. "
No, Vikings.
#20 Posted by Dethlaser (8 posts) -
@Amorfati said:
"
 Thieved from: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.151698 
  EDIT:

"

Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

A UK Bookseller's website let slip that the next Elder Scrolls game mightbe set two centuries after the massively successful Oblivion.

The slip came in the form of some sales blurb for the upcoming Elder Scrolls novel Infernal City by Greg Keyes on the UK bookseller Waterstones website. The text has since been edited away, but read:

"A novel that takes places forty-five years after the Oblivion Crisis, which is the story of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion game and the expansion pack Shivering Isles. It partly bridges the gap for the next game, which is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis."

If this is true, not only does it confirm that an Elder Scrolls V is in the works - not that that will really come as much of a surprise - but also gives Bethesda plenty of scope to do something interesting with the game; Vvardenfell with renaissance level technology, maybe even hunting Cliff Racers (to extinction) with a musket? That sounds pretty cool to me!

Source: VG247

"

"
Yes it is coming,i heard it announced months ago.
#21 Posted by pallorwag (87 posts) -

They just need to improve the combat. Guns wouldn't fix a thing.

#22 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
"Anyone wishing for guns in this game probably doesn't understand the themes and influences surrounding The Elder Scrolls.  Do you really want the series to turn into an FPS? "

This.
#23 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

I'm excited to see how this will turn out if it's true.

#24 Posted by Rinkalicous (1339 posts) -

Maybe if they had super oldy fashiondy guns, sort of like fable, where they're super inaccurate and take ages to reload. I know what you're thinking- FPS' with old guns suck, but think about it, it's not an FPS. The guns could basically act as bow and arrows that only really work at closer ranges, and take longer to reload between shots. It'd basically give you some more combat options without turning it into an fps. 

I reckon it could work.

#25 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -
@Rinkalicous: The game takes place on Nirn, where anything is possible. In 200 years people could be flying vehicles.
#26 Posted by Ghostiet (5223 posts) -

Guys, there won't be no guns. They're already doing a TES game with guns - Fallout: New Vegas.

#27 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

No guns please. I loved the combat in Oblivion and it would just be plain weird if they suddenly threw guns into it. I mean, I would still play it, but it wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game to me.

#28 Edited by Potter9156 (940 posts) -
@Rinkalicous said:

" Maybe if they had super oldy fashiondy guns, sort of like fable, where they're super inaccurate and take ages to reload. I know what you're thinking- FPS' with old guns suck, but think about it, it's not an FPS. The guns could basically act as bow and arrows that only really work at closer ranges, and take longer to reload between shots. It'd basically give you some more combat options without turning it into an fps.  I reckon it could work. "

I get what you're saying, but old fashioned guns that take forever to reload and dice rolls on top of that would suck. Shooting in F3 was terrible, even with modern weapons. Guns in CRPGs suck. Unless you're Arcanum.

@natetodamax

said:

" @Rinkalicous: The game takes place on Nirn, where anything is possible. In 200 years people could be flying vehicles. "

True, but I imagine going through the Oblivion crisis, and then going through whatever happens in IC would set technology back, or at least slow things down a bit. And this is Nirn, where everyone is capable of flinging fireballs from their hands. So I can't see why they would need guns.
#29 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@Gargantuan said:
" No guns please, that would suck. "
This.
#30 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

Yknow, this whole "200 years after" timeline might not have any impact on the world at all.  I can't even count how many fantasy world's with a medieval setting in books/games/movies I've seen where were huge time gaps came with no advancements at all.  The next game could very well be more of the same.
#31 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -

This entire thread of conversation just becomes more ridiculous when the old complaints regarding Fallout 3 being Oblivion with guns are factored in.

#32 Posted by Rinkalicous (1339 posts) -
@Potter9156: Weren't dice rolls basically removed in Oblivion, where you could never miss? 

@Brendan said:
" Yknow, this whole "200 years after" timeline might not have any impact on the world at all.  I can't even count how many fantasy world's with a medieval setting in books/games/movies I've seen where were huge time gaps came with no advancements at all.  The next game could very well be more of the same. "
This. If you read the fiction, there are like, no notable technological advances in the last 3 or so eras. that's at least a 1000 years, possibly more depending on how long the first few eras were (Which I have no idea)
#33 Posted by Potter9156 (940 posts) -
@Rinkalicous said:
" @Potter9156: Weren't dice rolls basically removed in Oblivion, where you could never miss? 

Yeah. I was just assuming that Elder Scrolls V would return to the Morrowind/Daggerfall style dice rolls.
#34 Posted by monquin (19 posts) -

personally, the way the world is in my opinion magic would be advanced more than projectile weapons in anything. correct me if i'm wrong but it just seems that in a world with magic more advancements would be made towards magic than something as primitive (compared to magic) as guns.  

#35 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

YES YES AND MORE YES !!!!!

#36 Posted by ZmillA (2260 posts) -

yes please, yes please, yes please

#37 Posted by Najaf (295 posts) -
@pirate_republic said:
You can always craft a rapid recovery elemental projectile. Thats what I did in Oblivion. I had a custom rapid recovery fire ball and frost. You can really get creative. I played through one run without melee and just as a makeshift FPS.
#38 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

How about a new race or two?

#39 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

*dorkgasms*   

Can't wait! 

#40 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

this sounds awesome. but i really hope they don't put in muskets and stuff.

#41 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
#42 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

So what they are really trying to say is that there are unconfirmed rumors that Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, and Assassin's Creed II got drunk as shit and went on a suck-and-fuck expedition, and there is a potential that these events are going to lead to Elder Scrolls V? 

As long as they FINALLY fix the stupid fucking leveling system and third-person viewpoint...I might actually give a shit.

#43 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
"Anyone wishing for guns in this game probably doesn't understand the themes and influences surrounding The Elder Scrolls.  Do you really want the series to turn into an FPS?"
The change would only affect the combat, and only for those who choose to specialize in guns. Look at Fable II. That game introduced guns while keeping the swords, the axes, the hammers and the bows(crossbows, yeah, but still bows). I don't see why The Elder Scrolls V couldn't do the same.
#44 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

man, i cant wait for it. I spent way over 200 hours in oblivion and I can still go back and enjoy it, fucking love that game
#45 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

the thing thats kept me from really playing bethesda games is the people in the games and how the world is. the people, get them to be a little more believable or.... less boring to talk to i guess. also be able to have more choices talking to them also more details on them.  for the world i would rather they make it smaller and better than big and feel like theres nothing really there same with towns. they sometimes felt to spaced out for no real reason. just make it a little bit more simple so you dont have to load a new area for everything.. 

anyways i'll still be intrested in elder scrolls V but i wont buy it... til a year later with there being a GOTY edition..

#46 Posted by blaiz123 (2 posts) -
@Dr_Feelgood38:
@pirate_republic:

I was just wondering, what could you possibly have loved about the oblivion combat system? You can barely feel that you're hitting your opponent; it feels like you're gently patting them on the back when you're really trying to kill them.... It's the same thing with the magic system. What I'm really asking is, how did you make the combat system work for you, because I really want to finish the game because of the amazing storyline, but the combat is just ridiculously boring and undeveloped (which is ironic since it's pretty much purely a combat game). 
#47 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@Potter9156 said:
" @Rinkalicous said:
" @Potter9156: Weren't dice rolls basically removed in Oblivion, where you could never miss? 

Yeah. I was just assuming that Elder Scrolls V would return to the Morrowind/Daggerfall style dice rolls. "
That's about the one thing from those games we don't need to see return.
We need a Morrowind/Daggerfall game, with Oblivion's combat.

Without trying to sound like an elitest fanboy..  I seriously have no interest in another game, if it's dumbed down to the level Oblivion was again.
Not all console players need to have their hand held for the entire thing, and a little arrow to constantly point us in the direction we should be going.  It destroyed any sense of freedom and explortation the series is supposed to be about!
#48 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

I like how this entire thread has speculated that 200 years = Guns. I would be fine with that if they A: Made the shooting fun and not totally clunky, unlike Fallout 3. And B: Still gave me a reason to use Melee Weapons. Unlike Fallout 3.

#49 Posted by Soap (3563 posts) -

If you put guns in Oblivion it's just more Fallout. I love Fallout but why not try to keep some distinctions between the two franchises?

#50 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

You sir, have made my day. Thanks for this. I always knew that their would be a new Elder Scrolls game, and now i am happy it is confirmed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.