Elder Scrolls V a "direct sequel to Oblivion"

• 91 results
#1 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Eurogamer Denmark just posted the news, via Kotaku. <- Link to news-article.

According to a report on Eurogamer Denmark, Elder Scrolls developers Bethesda are already hard at work on a fifth episode in the storied role-playing series.

"[Our] source not only confirmed that the game is in current production, but also spoke briefly about the content — with fantasy-sounding phrases like Dragon Lord, something with The Blades — and that voice acting for the characters in the game is currently happening in the weeks to follow", Eurogamer Denmark's boss Kristian West says.

"The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16-years-old Elder Scrolls saga and by itself one of the better RPGs for PC and consoles."

#2 Posted by LlamaLlama (174 posts) -

I hope not. Oblivion had the worst story out of the Elder Scroll games. If they want to make a direct sequel, do a sequel to Morrowind.
#3 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I'll be happy if a new Elder Scrolls comes out at all.

#4 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Hope it isn't all true.  Awesome that another one is coming.  Not awesome that it is in Cyrodil.  Morrowind was much more of an interesting place, honestly.

#5 Edited by coryrx8 (175 posts) -

Let's not be too alarmed, all that they said is that it's a "chronological sequel"... that doesn't tell us anything about location or story. Oblivion's story was pretty well wrapped up and had a nice little bow on it, so I really can't see them dragging that out any further. All that this article really says is that the new game takes place after Oblivion, nothing more.  

That said, I'd put money on it actually taking place in Cyrodil and being about the founding of a new government since the Septim line has ended. Who knows though.

#6 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

As long as it doesn't use Gamebryo I'm happy.

#7 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Again, I'd very much hope this news isn't true.  Oblivion had the worst story of any of the games, the least interesting location and some really bad gameplay mechanics.  I'd rather see a brand new location with a new story and gameplay that's more on par with Morrowind.

Streamlining and updating is one thing.  Dumbing down for mass appeal is another.

#8 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

If by "direct sequel" they mean "still built on an 'improved' (sarcasm quotes) Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas engine," then you can count me the fuck out. But if they mean "re-written entirely from the ground up," then I'm back on board. Seriously, that engine must die.

#9 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -
@FiestaUnicorn said:
"I'll be happy if a new Elder Scrolls comes out at all. "

This is like worrying that there won't be another Halo, Uncharted or Pokemon game.. 
It's definitely going to happen.  I just hope they do it right. 

And yes, the gamebryo engine needs to die in a fire.
#10 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:
" As long as it doesn't use Gamebryo I'm happy. "
Someone in the comments said that they are STILL using that engine but it's heavily modified... Only time will tell.
#11 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
"

Again, I'd very much hope this news isn't true.  Oblivion had the worst story of any of the games, the least interesting location and some really bad gameplay mechanics.  I'd rather see a brand new location with a new story and gameplay that's more on par with Morrowind.

Streamlining and updating is one thing.  Dumbing down for mass appeal is another.

"
I agree with this.
#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Fuck Morrowind. I loved Oblivion. Bring me more of that! 

(That was to everyone complaining about it being a sequel)

#13 Edited by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

Gamebryo itself isn't a bad engine. There have been some good, well made games made using the engine. It's just Bethesda's implementation of the engine is absolutely terrible. They either need to fix up their modified version of the engine or dump it and start afresh with a new engine (perhaps id tech 5 since zeminax now owns id, but that opens up a load of issues with file sizes, especially in a big open world like an Elder Scrolls game).

#14 Posted by septim (774 posts) -
@takua108 said:
" If by "direct sequel" they mean "still built on an 'improved' (sarcasm quotes) Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas engine," then you can count me the fuck out. But if they mean "re-written entirely from the ground up," then I'm back on board. Seriously, that engine must die. "
Yeah I love me some Bethesda games but that engine is a liability. It was acceptable 5 years ago when it looked amazing. Now it's average looking at best and runs like shit.
#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Oblivion was a chronological sequel as well, just hundreds of years later. 

It would be disappointing to follow up on Oblivion's characters and setting, as it's probably the least original in that series. This was like a typical fantasy, but in other regions the setting is much more interesting.  

I'd love a game set in Skyrim. The snowy sections and Bruma were my favorite places in Oblivion.

#16 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Ok well if they do a new engine and a new game i say 5 years or more before it comes.

#17 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I'd have assumed, based on how deep the Elder Scrolls lore is, that direct sequel means that the game takes place in the time frame of right after the Oblivion main story, not necessarily just a continuance of that story. Consider that both Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean are dead and the council were going through a large period of upheaval, it makes for an interesting political climate, something I hope they explore.

#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
"Gamebryo itself isn't a bad engine. There have been some good, well made games made using the engine. It's just Bethesda's implementation of the engine is absolutely terrible. They either need to fix up their modified version of the engine or dump it and start afresh with a new engine (perhaps id tech 5 since zeminax now owns id, but that opens up a load of issues with file sizes, especially in a big open world like an Elder Scrolls game). "

I suppose if it is a heavily modified version it could be okay.  And it would certainly help if they hire decent animators and more than four voice actors.
#19 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

A game set in Elsweyr would be awesome. The bits of the ES Novel that were they seemed cool, granted that is probably because of the bad-ass dunmer character it's following.

#20 Posted by onarum (2066 posts) -

Nice, let's hope they streamlined it some more, like coding a win button directly to the gamepad that when you press it it takes you directly to the end of the game.

#21 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Fuck Morrowind. I loved Oblivion. Bring me more of that!  (That was to everyone complaining about it being a sequel) "
So you speak for the people who never played Morrowind. Cute.
#22 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" Fuck Morrowind. I loved Oblivion. Bring me more of that!  (That was to everyone complaining about it being a sequel) "
So you speak for the people who never played Morrowind. Cute. "
Ha! lol-zorz-roni! 

...I've played Morrowind.  :|
#23 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

I just hope it's a different setting. I never payed much attention to the story.

#24 Posted by pweidman (2325 posts) -

I loved Oblivion so that's great news.  I figured they had already started when Obsidian took Fallout New Vegas.  But like others have mentioned itt, they need to step up their technology, starting with the engine.  And no more zooming into muddy ass facial models, lolzzy. 
#25 Edited by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

I just creme fraiched in the my pants.

#26 Posted by Tennmuerti (8072 posts) -

If they follow their usual trend then ES:V will be a dumbed down version of Oblivion.
Which would be kind of lulzy :)

#27 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

Oblivion is great screw you haters! And chronological order means nothing. It just means the time period would have changed...chill people.

#28 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" If they follow their usual trend then ES:V will be a dumbed down version of Oblivion.Which would be kind of lulzy :) "
Arcania: Elder Scrolls 5.
#29 Posted by Tebbit (4460 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
" As long as it doesn't use Gamebryo I'm happy. "
Someone in the comments said that they are STILL using that engine but it's heavily modified... Only time will tell. "
Christ... no! Bethesda, listen to me! The Gamebryo engine is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE!
#30 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

(Augh, finally I can login again) 

I'm truly excited about these news, especially since it seems Bethesda have been working hard on the title for some time now. 2011 release? Who knows. 

Also I must agree that I really really hope that they ditch that old engine. Since their owner ZeniMax Media also owns iD, maybe we'll see ES:V using iDtech 5, same as in Rage? One can dream...

#31 Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
"Fuck Morrowind. I loved Oblivion. Bring me more of that!"
I agree. I think people are being overly nostalgic about Morrowwind. That game was just as broken, buggy, and busted at launch as Oblivion.
Moderator Online
#32 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" If they follow their usual trend then ES:V will be a dumbed down version of Oblivion.Which would be kind of lulzy :) "
What is needed is a middle ground. Some of Oblivion's streamlined mechanics make it far more playable. Fewer skills, weapons, etc. are some of the less valuable 'additions', but the last thing I want back is Morrowind's dice rolls and running fatigue. No thanks.

And if you want complexity, forget Morrowind, why not play Daggerfall? (Answer: Because it was impenetrably vague and mostly broken.) Sometimes complexity goes too far.
#33 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11621 posts) -

That's... great? I kind of figured that it would be a direct sequel. As long as they fix some of the problems (including the oft mentioned gamebryo engine finally getting the axe), maybe make some of the skills more viable and interesting, it will be a good game. If they screw up though... It's going to be a massive disappointment and I wouldn't want to be them.

#34 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -

Makes sense by the end of Oblivion the Empire was near its breaking point.

#35 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

The only thing I have been hoping for since Oblivion is that the next game takes place in a different part of Tamriel. I wanna see where the Wood Elves live, or the Argonians. Too many game settings look like LOTR to have another Elder Scrolls game set in Cyrodil.

#36 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -

I hope they use whatever engine id Software are using for Rage. They own that studio, for Christ's sake. It'd be insane to keep using Gamebryo when they have access to what's being touted as the crème de la crème.

#37 Posted by Jayzz (592 posts) -

oblivion was so fucking good. cannot wait. 

dont hate.

#38 Posted by NTM (7337 posts) -
@takua108 said:
"If by "direct sequel" they mean "still built on an 'improved' (sarcasm quotes) Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas engine," then you can count me the fuck out. But if they mean "re-written entirely from the ground up," then I'm back on board. Seriously, that engine must die.

"
#39 Edited by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

All that I ask is that they use a new engine and get rid of those damned psychic guards.

#40 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I hope it will be a following of the book, which I believe is canon, meaning it will take place decades after the oblivion crisis, but will still be affected by it, like the emperor dying

#41 Posted by President_Barackbar (3454 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
"Fuck Morrowind. I loved Oblivion. Bring me more of that!"
I agree. I think people are being overly nostalgic about Morrowwind. That game was just as broken, buggy, and busted at launch as Oblivion. "
FINALLY we have someone sensible! I hate how every time we have an ES thread here it degrades into 50 people telling me how inferior Oblivion was to Morrowind and how much of an idiot I am for liking Oblivion.
#42 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

As someone who never played Morrowind, what is it that made that game better?

#43 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I can see the title now... 

Elder Scrolls V - Oblivion II 

And does this mean I will have to close more Oblivion gates??? This sucks.

#44 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@HandsomeDead: Generally, most people agree that Morrowinds plot and setting were more interesting than Oblivion's. I prefer to think that when it came to game mechanics, Oblivion was more streamlined, and more fun.
#45 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1136343p1.html

"direct sequel to Oblivion"
 It doesn't get much more plain than that. 
I, for one, am excited.

#46 Edited by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -
@President_Barackbar:  Maybe I just don't have the fond memories some fans of Morrowind have, but I have zero nostalgia for that game. What I remember was that you could kill merchants and then loot their corpses and get all of their goods and sell them which pretty much broke the game economy. I remember being able to run so fast that you encountered a load screen every five seconds. Also I remember when fans of Morrowind got angry when they changed levitation in Oblivion...when they didn't realize that floating in Morrowind was the jankiest and ugliest thing ever and it just broke the game.

I will concede however that the villain in Morrowind was a better villain than the guy who you had to stab in the foot for Oblivion.
Moderator Online
#47 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -

As long as they don't do Cyrodil again. What an unimaginative location to set a game. Especially with a universe as rich as the Elder Scrolls.

#48 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@Icemael said:
"I hope they use whatever engine id Software are using for Rage. They own that studio, for Christ's sake. It'd be insane to keep using Gamebryo when they have access to what's being touted as the crème de la crème. "

Couldn't agree more. Elder Scrolls using idtech 5? Yes please.
#49 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I just hope I actually like the sequel. I tried so hard to enjoy Oblivion, but only had a few spurts of fun accompanied by endless hours of UGGGHHHHHH.

#50 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Gamebryo itself isn't a bad engine. There have been some good, well made games made using the engine. It's just Bethesda's implementation of the engine is absolutely terrible. They either need to fix up their modified version of the engine or dump it and start afresh with a new engine (perhaps id tech 5 since zeminax now owns id, but that opens up a load of issues with file sizes, especially in a big open world like an Elder Scrolls game). "
Is id tech 5 the engine R.A.G.E is going to be using? If so I'd be way into that.

Like others have said, if it's the Gamebryo engine again then I'm out. The main story of Oblivion was weak as hell so I'm not instantly sold on any sort of continuation of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.