Elder Scrolls V a "direct sequel to Oblivion"

• 91 results
#51 Posted by Willin (1282 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Oblivion was a chronological sequel as well, just hundreds of years later.  It would be disappointing to follow up on Oblivion's characters and setting, as it's probably the least original in that series. This was like a typical fantasy, but in other regions the setting is much more interesting.   I'd love a game set in Skyrim. The snowy sections and Bruma were my favorite places in Oblivion. "
Actually the character from Morrowind is mentioned in Oblivion as active so it can not be hundreds of years.
#52 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I and others have explained it before, but idtech 5 may not be practical for a huge open world game like Elder Scrolls because the storage medium would be a severe limitation, at least on Xbox 360 (and you can't drop support for that yet, and I doubt MS will allow 50GB required installs).  It's because the whole purpose of idtech5 is to have every environment texture in the game be unique.  There's even some question if you could fit a world the size of Oblivion into 50GB using idtech 5.

#53 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
" As long as it doesn't use Gamebryo I'm happy. "
Someone in the comments said that they are STILL using that engine but it's heavily modified... Only time will tell. "
It was heavily modified in New Vegas.
#54 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" I can see the title now...  Elder Scrolls V - Oblivion II  And does this mean I will have to close more Oblivion gates??? This sucks. "
Hope not. Those gates I absolutely hated.

Any news is good news though. Playing again recently has made me realize just how much I want more Elder Scrolls.
#55 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3222 posts) -

I hope it has a better engine with mo-cap, varied voice actors, dynamic shadows, dynamic day/night cycles, and more fluid combat.

#56 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Maybe I should actually play the main story line at some point. Although, honestly, I'd be more excited if they said it was a direct sequel to the Shivering Isles.

#57 Posted by VirtualAthlete (90 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Someone in the comments said that they are STILL using that engine but it's heavily modified... Only time will tell. "
It was heavily modified in New Vegas. "
Why hate on the engine. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are some of the best games I ever played.
#58 Posted by AnAmericanPatriot (141 posts) -
@ZombiePie:  

MORROWIND definitely had IT'S PROBLEMS, AND I'D agree that it GETS REMEMBERED a little too FONDLY. HOWEVER, WHAT I really fuckin MISSED FROM Morrowind to OBLIVION WAS mostly in location. I loved HOW IN MORROWIND, I COULD just go OFF EXPLORING and the landscape and TERRAIN WOULD constantly change. I LOVED the variety of ecosystems AND ENVIRONMENTS (though, I did HAVE AN ISSUE with certain enemies JUST BEING everywhere). In Oblivion, IT JUST kinda felt all TOO TRADITIONAL-FANTASY woodsy. I CAN see the CRITICISM going both WAYS though: Morrowind FELT LIKE a world (interesting, but PROBABLY NOT geographically realistic) whereas Cyrodiil felt MORE LIKE a specific region (not AS INTERESTING BUT more realistic). Morrowind FELT LIKE A melting POT, physically AND SOCIALLY. 

I THINK I just liked Morrowind MORE though because IT'S THE FIRST game like that I HAD EVER played. I was JUST FUCKIN FLOORED AND overwhelmed the FIRST TIME I PLAYED it. It was LIKE LITERALLY NOTHING I'D ever played BEFORE AND BECAUSE of that no amount OF TECHNICAL absurdity can EVER DETHRONE it for ME.
#59 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -

It's not because of the "great story" the first one had, it's because everyonme refer to The Elder Scrolls 4 as Oblivion so they don't want to call it TES 5.

#60 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Why hate on the engine. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are some of the best games I ever played. "
Because it's a buggy, piece of shit engine.  It always has been and no one has seemingly ever put any effort into fixing the glitches in it.  Every time a new Gamebryo engine game is released, it's buggy as hell.
#61 Posted by VirtualAthlete (90 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" @VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Why hate on the engine. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are some of the best games I ever played. "
Because it's a buggy, piece of shit engine.  It always has been and no one has seemingly ever put any effort into fixing the glitches in it.  Every time a new Gamebryo engine game is released, it's buggy as hell. "
yes, but as you said thats probably because nobody is fixing glitches before the games come out. they do seem to get patched to a totally playable game over time    
#62 Posted by Turambar (6810 posts) -

I'm just interested in whether the events of Shivering Isles will be included in the new game.  "Dragon Lord" and "The Blades" seems to hint at plot points revolving around the now completely dead bloodline of Patrick Stewart, but having a mortal as a Daedria Lord gives room for far more interesting plot points and settings.

#63 Posted by Potter9156 (942 posts) -

Eh. I'm interested to see what they do with the setting. But couldn't care less about the game itself.

#64 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -
@VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Why hate on the engine. "
Because it sucks. 

@VirtualAthlete said:
" Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are some of the best games I ever played. "
Think of it this way: if those are some of the best games you've ever played despite running on one of this generation's worse engines, just imagine how awesome they would've been if they were running on a good one. Or even better: imagine how awesome they would've been if they were running on id's newest -- supposedly one of the very best.
#65 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Although it's obvious why Gamebryo is shitty and needs fixing or replacement, does anyone know if the Rage (or any other) engine is capable of handling the ridiculous number of objects, NPCs, and interactions required by Bethesda's overly large worlds? That's the only reason they keep using Gamebryo I assume.

#66 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:
" Although it's obvious why Gamebryo is shitty and needs fixing or replacement, does anyone know if the Rage (or any other) engine is capable of handling the ridiculous number of objects, NPCs, and interactions required by Bethesda's overly large worlds? That's the only reason they keep using Gamebryo I assume. "
that and making a game with id tech 5 would probably take a lot longer then they want to spend.
#67 Posted by VirtualAthlete (90 posts) -
@Icemael said:

" @VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Why hate on the engine. "
Because it sucks. 

@VirtualAthlete said:
" Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are some of the best games I ever played. "
Think of it this way: if those are some of the best games you've ever played despite running on one of this generation's worse engines, just imagine how awesome they would've been if they were running on a good one. Or even better: imagine how awesome they would've been if they were running on id's newest -- supposedly one of the very best. "
I don't think it's one of this generation's worst engines. I loved it when i played Oblivion, but Bethesta should have done better with updating it to make animations look better and stuff like that. if they do use another better engine thats great, but right now i still love the current one and dont think a change is necessary for my enjoyment with the game.    
#68 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

I'm all for it.  

Sorry to all the Morrowind fans, but Morrowind is very much a "you had to be there at the time" kind of thing.Trying to go back to it now (for the first time) feels downright impossible, at least to me.
#69 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Because it's a buggy, piece of shit engine.  It always has been and no one has seemingly ever put any effort into fixing the glitches in it.  Every time a new Gamebryo engine game is released, it's buggy as hell. "
yes, but as you said thats probably because nobody is fixing glitches before the games come out. they do seem to get patched to a totally playable game over time     "
Why should the patching even be necessary?  It's the repetition of same shit, different game that's aggravating.  And no one should have to put up with the number of bugs present in a game like New Vegas.  The engine is old, so why in the world hasn't it been fixed to iron out all of the issues that have plagued it since Oblivion?
#70 Posted by VirtualAthlete (90 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
yes, but as you said thats probably because nobody is fixing glitches before the games come out. they do seem to get patched to a totally playable game over time     "
Why should the patching even be necessary?  It's the repetition of same shit, different game that's aggravating.  And no one should have to put up with the number of bugs present in a game like New Vegas.  The engine is old, so why in the world hasn't it been fixed to iron out all of the issues that have plagued it since Oblivion? "  
Im just saying that i dont think the bugs is there because of the engine but rather the developer. and if that is the case, changing the engine wouldn't fix the problem.
#71 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:

" As someone who never played Morrowind, what is it that made that game better? "

No fast travel makes it more immersive. 
Kidding. I am however paraphrasing an actual person who exists and thinks that. The short answer is in fact Morrowind luddites are slightly crazy. But that aside, it did seem like a better game. More fleshed out, more TLC. Hard to articulate exactly what made it better. Oblivion felt more stock, if that makes sense. 
#72 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Why should the patching even be necessary?  It's the repetition of same shit, different game that's aggravating.  And no one should have to put up with the number of bugs present in a game like New Vegas.  The engine is old, so why in the world hasn't it been fixed to iron out all of the issues that have plagued it since Oblivion? "  
Im just saying that i dont think the bugs is there because of the engine but rather the developer. and if that is the case, changing the engine wouldn't fix the problem. "
How do you not understand the concept of less buggy engine = greater potential for a game that isn't busted out of the gate?
#73 Posted by VirtualAthlete (90 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
Im just saying that i dont think the bugs is there because of the engine but rather the developer. and if that is the case, changing the engine wouldn't fix the problem. "
How do you not understand the concept of less buggy engine = greater potential for a game that isn't busted out of the gate? "
why not use the time they would use to create a new engine to bugfixing. either way its bethesta and its gonna be awsome.
#74 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@VirtualAthlete:  Because if you're as dedicated to using a particular engine as Bethesda is with Gamebryo, then you should petition the engine's coders to fix the damn thing.  If they had any concern for the number of bugs that the engine produces, then Bethesda would have switched engines a long time ago.  That they still appear to be committed to using it is aggravating.

Not that this should be surprising, since Bethesda hasn't ever really given a shit about the quality in quality assurance.  This is the same studio that released Daggerfall.
#75 Edited by yakov456 (1917 posts) -

Excellent, loved Oblivion so this works for me. So sick of hearing about Morrowind, moving on.

#76 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

cool

#77 Posted by TheMaxMeister (78 posts) -

Like most people said, as long as this next game doesn't use the gamebryo engine, I'll be fine with giving it a try. That engine ruined both recent Fallouts, and Oblivion for me. Too many loadings, too many bugs, too ugly etc. The list goes on forever. 

I have very fond memories of Morrowind, but honestly, I have no faith in Bethesda whatsoever.

#78 Posted by dahapr44 (25 posts) -

Oblivion was an awesome game but far from a perfect one. Hopefully they have had enough time to digest the criticism and suggestions from their fans. I will be happy if they just get rid of the difficulty scaling with the enemies. Repopulate the dungeons with more challenging creatures instead!

#79 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" Oblivion was a chronological sequel as well, just hundreds of years later.  It would be disappointing to follow up on Oblivion's characters and setting, as it's probably the least original in that series. This was like a typical fantasy, but in other regions the setting is much more interesting.   I'd love a game set in Skyrim. The snowy sections and Bruma were my favorite places in Oblivion. "
Actually the character from Morrowind is mentioned in Oblivion as active so it can not be hundreds of years. "
Alright, probably was thinking of Fable 1 to 2, fantasy worlds all kinda mush together in my head. Maybe if more of them had settings like Morrowind did, they wouldn't! I admit, the gameplay in Oblivion was better, even if they simplified the stats a little too much, but the setting went from a totally alien bizarre fantasy world to a very standard one. Oblivion is kinda generic in it's setting. Creature filled forests and medieval architecture and whatnot. Morrowind had weird buildings, ash storms, a volcano, all sorts of madness. Oblivion as a location was really cool though.
#80 Edited by jakob187 (21691 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:

My guess would be id Tech 5, but that's only because they have id Software on their side now.  In all honesty, I'm expecting it'll be some new tech they made that's as broken as Gamebryo BUT MAN, WILL SHIT LOOK PRETTY!!! 

@MattyFTM: Looking at the list of games we have attached to the Gamebryo concept page, I'm not finding many games on there without a massive amount of graphical and technical engine hitches.  Civilization IV is maybe one of the few that wasn't terrible, and the Splatterhouse Quick Look made the Gamebryo engine look pretty good for once.  Other than that, I think both Gamebryo and UE3 are relatively poor engines for being offered as middleware.
#81 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @VirtualAthlete said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @VirtualAthlete said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @phrosnite said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
How do you not understand the concept of less buggy engine = greater potential for a game that isn't busted out of the gate? "
Gamebryo isn't a 'buggy' engine.  It's just an engine and it's used for a whole lot of games and training software.  You should take a look at the Emergent software client list sometime.  The issue is that BethSoft have been extremely lax in keeping it updated since Oblivion and they rely on a very old revision of the core product which they add their own customisations to.  It's at least three versions old and needs updating in many ways.  This would prevent a whole host of performance issues but wouldn't negate the need for frequent patches.  He's right, the developer is at fault here.   

It's a complex, AI heavy, script heavy and physics reliant product and thus, like many complex  engines, it's rather easily broken due to not being able to predict whatever random context players might provide.  People are often trying to exploit games and the engines that drive them.  BethSoft have made noises that they will be updating GameBryo for ES V and thank god for that.  Still, it's BethSoft, all of their products have been buggy and almost all of them are caretaken by the PC community post release.  They have a good rep for supporting modders but a lot of those mods fix bugs and imbalance issues. 
#82 Posted by DriveupLife (918 posts) -
@Deception52: 
lol @ u
#83 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -
@Deception52 said:
"Fuck Oblivion! That was game was an overrated piece of crap for RPG n00bs. Why can't we have a sequel for Morrowind Bethesda? I know why. Because they want to get money from casual gamers. Screw them, they're ruining the industry. That's why we get a dumb downed sequel to one of the greatest RPGs (It's practically one of my favorites) of all time, known as Morrowind. "

Care to elaborate what made Morrowing so much better, and why Oblivion is a "dumb downed sequel for RPG N00bs"? I didn't take your comment personal, even if I really enjoyed both games, I'm just curious to your statement. 

Either way I can't wait for more news regarding ESV.
#84 Posted by Gargantuan (1883 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:

" @Deception52 said:

"Fuck Oblivion! That was game was an overrated piece of crap for RPG n00bs. Why can't we have a sequel for Morrowind Bethesda? I know why. Because they want to get money from casual gamers. Screw them, they're ruining the industry. That's why we get a dumb downed sequel to one of the greatest RPGs (It's practically one of my favorites) of all time, known as Morrowind. "

Care to elaborate what made Morrowing so much better, and why Oblivion is a "dumb downed sequel for RPG N00bs"? I didn't take your comment personal, even if I really enjoyed both games, I'm just curious to your statement.  Either way I can't wait for more news regarding ESV. "
 You can't deny that Oblivion is dumbed down.
1: Level scaling made the all areas available from the start since you had nothing to fear, lowered the difficulty a lot and removed all OH SHIT moments. 
2: Morrowind had 27 skills and your character could specialize in 5 major and 5 minor skills. Oblivion has 21 skills and you specialize in 7. Mastery levels are nice though.
3: The various modes of transport in Morrowind have been replaced by a fast travel system, which is just lazy.
4: You can be the leader of the mages guild without knowing magic. Without good magic skills in Morrowinf, you are prevented from achieving the higher ranks in the Mages Guild. 
5: Quest compass!!
6: Magicka regenerates
7: + A lot of other minor things.
#85 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -
@Gargantuan:
Fair enough, but to go out of your way (not something you did, but the previous poster) to insult anyone who enjoyed Oblivion just seems tacky in my book. You didn't like it? Fine, but don't be a douche and insult anyone who did. 

And just because they mentioned the game to be a "direct sequel" (and mind, we still haven't gotten any official word from Bethesda themselves) doesn't mean it'll be a "dumbed downed sequel for RPG n00bs". I for one am just glad they're even making a fifth game, and hopefully we'll see something within the near future that live up to all of our expectations. :)
#86 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

Oblivion had a story?

#87 Posted by Gargantuan (1883 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" @Gargantuan: Fair enough, but to go out of your way (not something you did, but the previous poster) to insult anyone who enjoyed Oblivion just seems tacky in my book. You didn't like it? Fine, but don't be a douche and insult anyone who did.  And just because they mentioned the game to be a "direct sequel" (and mind, we still haven't gotten any official word from Bethesda themselves) doesn't mean it'll be a "dumbed downed sequel for RPG n00bs". I for one am just glad they're even making a fifth game, and hopefully we'll see something within the near future that live up to all of our expectations. :) "
I enjoyed playing Oblivion but I prefer Morrowind (mostly because of the more interesting world and much better story). I can definitely understand why people prefer Oblivion (Morrowinds combat system wasn't exactly great) and I don't understand why people insult each other so much. Bethesda really surprised me with Fallout 3 since I thought it would just be "Oblivion with guns" but it was much more so I have high hopes for TES V. If they just get some better writers (and animators :P ) then I think TES V will be awesome
#88 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Not to mention that Oblivion has NO local variety. The whole game takes place in one f-ing meadow! :) I tried Oblivion when it came out and I was very disappointed. I can't believe this game has 94% on metacritic and is considered as one of the best RPGs ever made. DID I miss something? Can someone list the great things in the game?

#89 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
"Not to mention that Oblivion has NO local variety. The whole game takes place in one f-ing meadow! :) I tried Oblivion when it came out and I was very disappointed. I can't believe this game has 94% on metacritic and is considered as one of the best RPGs ever made. DID I miss something? Can someone list the great things in the game?
"

Try telling Bethesda that their game that sold well over 5.5 million units (on 360 and PS3 alone, PC sales not included in that number) and has 94% on Metacritic (I don't know who claimed it was the best RPG ever made, those were your words) was a disaster and they should not continue on that formula. I know we all have our personal opinion, but you have to realize how this looks to the Developer. I have no idea how well Morrowind did, and frankly it was too many years since I played that one to "compare" it to Oblivion. I agree that the never-ending closing of gates in Oblivion was fucking boring, but between that I had an awesome time especially doing the various guild quests.  

My biggest wish is that they just use a better engine (such as idTech 5, even if some have said it won't work with an open-world such as Elder Scrolls).
#90 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@CrazyChris: my words were, "... one of the best RPGs ever made." not the best.-> see in quote :) The best RPG ever made is Baldur's Gate 2. Personally I didn't like any of the Elder Scrolls games that's why I haven't tried Fallout 3 yet but I will definitely buy it during the christmas sale :)
 Finally, as I have said many, many, many, times, "Nowadays something doesn't need to be good to sell boat loads of copies."
#91 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" As someone who never played Morrowind, what is it that made that game better? "
The game was text based, which meant you had to do a lot of reading but it also meant there was a lot more backstory and lore.  I found it much easier to get involved and interested in the world, and there was a lot more quests, guilds and story.  Obviously that's something they're never going to go back to and I can understand that, but I still think it's at least worth pointing out.  The world itself was also a lot more interesting, set on a volcanic island, rather than being in generic forests.  Although the map itself was smaller, the world felt far, far bigger and much more alive.

Many of the gameplay mechanics in Oblivion also pretty much ruined what the Elder Scrolls was supposed to be about:  freedom and exploration.  It's all been said in this topic already but..  level and enemy scaling meant that you never really felt like you were growing, as even random bandits would become as strong as you were and even wear the most powerful armour sets in the game.  Part of what I loved about Morrowind was the feeling of power you had at the higher levels, to the point where you could eventually take out Gods.  The loot scaling meant you would find random loot where ever you went, meaning there was no point to explore random caves as opposed to doing the quest line.  In Morrowind many of the caves, ruins or even random towns would contain unique artifacts.  Some of them powerful, some of them just silly.  But it gave you reason to explore, mess around and do things beside the main quest..  again, making you feel more immersed in the world, rather than going through the main quest and throwing it in your "done" pile of games.  The compass and fast travel system also contributed to this, always pointing you to where you should be going..  In Morrowind it was easy to get lost, but when that happened you'd often come across new quests or some unique item that made it worth it.

The enchanting and spell casting system was also completely nerfed unnecessarily.  In Morrowind you could essentially make any kind of spell or enchantment you wanted, assuming you had the money and the soul charge to do so.  In Oblivion they restricted this for some reason..  not allowing you to make necklaces and so forth that could permanently heal you..  But you could make items to make you 100% invisible, essentially making you invincible anyway.  The plot was also very straight forward and very bland.  Morrowind literally pushed you off a boat into a small town and told you to figure your way from there.

Oblivion was by no means a bad game and definitely improved in a few areas.  But it really lost a lot of the charm and fun of the series.  I have a hard time believing that anyone that's played both could call Oblivion the better game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.