Morrowind vs Oblivion

#1 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
#2 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

In the age of chaos two factions battle for dominance!

#3 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

Morrowind - TRIBUNAL I voted for.  I was not as big a fan of bloodmoon. Once I played tribunal it was hard to go back to the original world, the Tribunal quests and items were just so cool

#4 Edited by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

Morrowind, Hands down, that was a way more open game to me, and the music was just epic!

The technology isn't as good of course, and going back to it now is somewhat difficult, but Morrowind!

Oblivion just had too many janky game design changes, plus that game felt so buggy, i love Oblivion, but i love Morrowind that much more.

#5 Posted by KiddSushi (95 posts) -

Call me a noob, but Oblivion was just a lot easier for me to get into. Morrowind always felt so daunting.

#6 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
KiddSushi said:
"Call me a noob, but Oblivion was just a lot easier for me to get into. Morrowind always felt so daunting."
That is a very fair assessment.  However if 80% of the "good features" in Oblivion were actually first tried out in Tribunal.    Tribunal was such a huge hit w/ fans they almost made Oblivion too tribunal like.
#7 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I personally think Morrowind is the better game and Oblivion was a bit disappointing. Morrowind felt bigger and more varied and I loved it for that...Oblivion is still a great game, but not as good as Morrowind in my eyes.

#8 Edited by KillerZ (41 posts) -

Also voted for Morrowind, although the island should be smaller area than Cyrodill, it always felt bigger to me. Plus I liked the beast chars legs there, despite that they couldn't wear boots.

#9 Posted by Drebin_893 (2911 posts) -

Oblivion, but arguing which one is better is absurd. They are both two of my favourite games of all time, with Oblivion being my favourite game of all time.

#10 Posted by Rumour (95 posts) -

Voted Oblivion. Call me a lazy RPGer, but I felt my distaste for reading large sections of text hurt my experience in Morrowind.  Still enjoyed it though.

#11 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1593 posts) -

oblivion
but i found a copy of morrowind in eb so ive been playing that
i still enjoy oblivion more though, probably coz i played it first

#12 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

Morrowind,

you become more god like the further you level up. think giant fireballs plus levitation = nuclear holocaust. I literally made DBZ characters in morrowind, brawlers with the "Final Flash" and "Spirit Bomb" like magic attacks.

#13 Posted by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

Couldn't get in to Morrowind, so I voted Oblivion... and I'm currently playing that again.

#14 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Morrowind...it's just overall better and more challenging.

#15 Posted by Ransom (105 posts) -

morrowind is a great game, don't get me wrong. it has an amazing story, endearing music, memorable characters, and a gigantic world.

i had to vote oblivion, however. oblivion looks better (not a major issue, but morrowind was painfully ugly), had even better music imo, played better, and had creative objectives beyond morrowind's damning fetch quests

#16 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Morrowind had worse combat and AI.

It was much better as an RPG and the setting is right up there with Arcanum as my videogame favourites.

#17 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

Oblivion. I couldn't stand Morrowind for some reason.

#18 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I came to the elder scrolls series through oblivion . The graphics of Morrowind really took my out of the game and the gameplay is not as fun . But the world is much bigger which is what i probably liked most about Moorowind . However Oblivion wins.

#19 Posted by TheTerrifyer (163 posts) -

Morrowind by far. I would have picked Daggerfall, but no option. :(

#20 Posted by viklanderviking (198 posts) -

Definitely Morrowind, the world just felt a hell of alot more immersive then oblivions.

#21 Posted by Cartridge_Eater (6 posts) -

Oblivion
It contains all I expect from RPG
It doesn't mean I don't like Morrowind though

#22 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

I vote morrowind simply because it wasn't your generic medieval fantasy. It had a style, a tone of its own. Almost sci fi at times. Oblivion felt quite generic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.