The Elder Scrolls Lore Thread

• 53 results
#51 Edited by mdnthrvst (263 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: Yeah, while it's a rather old discussion now, I have to agree that the Civil War is probably the most nuanced conflict ever portrayed in a video game. Assholes on both sides, charismatic good guys on both sides, and arguments to be made for and against either side. On a philosophical level I've alternately supported both over the months, though I think in terms of gameplay the Rebels are more fun.

Ugh, but sometimes I miss that level of specificity. Going back to the History of Creation I posted earlier, some of the details are maddeningly opaque - were there REALLY a group of lesser et'Ada that became the first Ehlnofey, or were there only the ones who would become Aedra and Daedra, and if that were the case, did mortals just spring up from the earth?

If lesser et'Ada DID become mortals, the Elves are correct.

If mortals were created whole cloth, the Men are correct.

The games never really address the issue of "other" et'Ada head on, aside from obscure Aedra such as Xen, Y'ffrie, Oghma, and Xarxes, though they hint towards the first. We DO know for a fact that despite their differences men and Mer share a base biological lineage, as it's been much-quoted that the first creatures of Nirn were "the Ehlnofey and the Hist," and that Lorkhan's Wanderers went to war with the Old Ehlnofey who would become Mer.

Or perhaps with my question above BOTH are correct, and Lorkhan DID create the Wanderers while the Old Ehlnofey were descended et'Ada. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

#52 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@mdnthrvst said:

@HistoryInRust: Yeah, while it's a rather old discussion now, I have to agree that the Civil War is probably the most nuanced conflict ever portrayed in a video game. Assholes on both sides, charismatic good guys on both sides, and arguments to be made for and against either side. On a philosophical level I've alternately supported both over the months, though I think in terms of gameplay the Rebels are more fun.

Ugh, but sometimes I miss that level of specificity. Going back to the History of Creation I posted earlier, some of the details are maddeningly opaque - were there REALLY a group of lesser et'Ada that became the first Ehlnofey, or were there only the ones who would become Aedra and Daedra, and if that were the case, did mortals just spring up from the earth?

If lesser et'Ada DID become mortals, the Elves are correct.

If mortals were created whole cloth, the Men are correct.

The games never really address the issue of "other" et'Ada head on, aside from obscure Aedra such as Xen, Y'ffrie, Oghma, and Xarxes, though they hint towards the first. We DO know for a fact that despite their differences men and Mer share a base biological lineage, as it's been much-quoted that the first creatures of Nirn were "the Ehlnofey and the Hist," and that Lorkhan's Wanderers went to war with the Old Ehlnofey who would become Mer.

Or perhaps with my question above BOTH are correct, and Lorkhan DID create the Wanderers while the Old Ehlnofey were descended et'Ada. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Personally I think that Men and Mer sprung to existence in different places. Both creation myths are probably true to a degree. But that's the beauty of the lore, we'll probably never know, or at least get told outright. I love discussing the lore in TES. It's so much deeper than most people give it credit for.

#53 Posted by mdnthrvst (263 posts) -

@Legion_: Mhm.

Still, I think this discussion is a bit too esoteric for its own good. Especially considering it's just three people talking back at each other.

#54 Posted by Bollard (5248 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

• Your boy Jiub? The dude who wakes up the Nerevarine on the ship? Yeah, he ran off all the Cliff Racers and was made a saint for it.

Made a saint, fantastic haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.