Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls

Franchise »

The Elder Scrolls is a long-running franchise of role-playing games made by Bethesda Softworks. The series is known for offering much freedom to the player and many choices of how to play.

When are we going to see a new elder scrolls game?

theditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By theditor

The title pretty much says it all. I'd really like one with a more orignial style such as that of Morrowind, rather than the mroe drab medival forest-and-castle setting of Oblivion. Don't get me wrong, the combat was incredibly improved and the levelling up system was a lot cooler in Oblivion, but Morrowind always stood out to me as something fresh in terms of the way it looked (and sounded). I want more giant mushroom trees and weird pyramid housing complexs in my next Elder Scrolls game, Bethesda. and maybe the people in it won't look like melted wax mannequins if you guys get ahold of the rage engine. Wouldn't that be great?
    theditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By theditor

The title pretty much says it all. I'd really like one with a more orignial style such as that of Morrowind, rather than the mroe drab medival forest-and-castle setting of Oblivion. Don't get me wrong, the combat was incredibly improved and the levelling up system was a lot cooler in Oblivion, but Morrowind always stood out to me as something fresh in terms of the way it looked (and sounded). I want more giant mushroom trees and weird pyramid housing complexs in my next Elder Scrolls game, Bethesda. and maybe the people in it won't look like melted wax mannequins if you guys get ahold of the rage engine. Wouldn't that be great?
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Rage engine? That engine ain't so great on big games. 

And before you say it, yes I know RDR was using it, but hey Fallout 3 looks better.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

soon. they're already working on V arent they ?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By landon
    @Baillie said:
    " Rage engine? That engine ain't so great on big games.  And before you say it, yes I know RDR was using it, but hey Fallout 3 looks better. "
    Did you just say Fallout 3 is a better looking game than Red Dead Redemption?
    theditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By theditor

I said Rage engine, I meant id tech 5. my mistake.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By RankRabbit

I wouldn't doubt that they are working on it now secretly in some dungeon somewhere.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I hope they're working on a new one.

sovereign13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sovereign13

I think it's a little unfair to call Oblivion's setting drab. It was meant to be a traditional fantasy setting, and where else would you expect the most uninteresting race to live?

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SSValis

man I wish they would, it would jump right up there with the next Half Life. Its sucks because New Vegas looks the same as 3

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By septim

I've heard rumblings for years about it. It's probably in development but they don't want to take the focus away from Rage / Fallout New Vegas.

theditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By theditor
    @Sovereign13: I guess. But thirty feet mushrooms and pterodactyl ridge racers are just plain cooler than oaks and boars.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB

I'd almost like to see them do a remake/update to Morrowind, or even a game in the same Ashland region. Morrowind with MGE to extend the view distance ultra far is freaking amazing, but the combat and skill systems are practically broken compared to those in Oblivion.

I'd obviously love to see a full-fledged sequel too, and I agree that I'd rather it have a creative direction more similar to that of Morrowind than Oblivion. Hopefull the game is indeed in development now. It will eventually get made, but I'd rather see it sooner than later and avoid the Half-Life effect.

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By jessej07

I can't put my finger on what it was about Morrowind, but for some reason it seemed like a much more culturally rich game.  When I play I get a sense that I'm really interacting with a diverse set of amazing species and characters.  It's possible that it is just me reading into the experience, not having a lot of voice acting or even fast travel (per se) to rely on, but Morrowind always felt like the more thought out and deep experience.  Anyone else feel this way?  Obviously Oblivion was great... I absolutely loved it, but every time I talk about Oblivion with someone I have to fall back on "but, did you ever play Morrowind?"  I think it's because Morrowind has such an enriching history to it that is interwoven into the adventuring in a way that Oblivion didn't.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @jessej07 said:
    " I can't put my finger on what it was about Morrowind, but for some reason it seemed like a much more culturally rich game.  When I play I get a sense that I'm really interacting with a diverse set of amazing species and characters.  It's possible that it is just me reading into the experience, not having a lot of voice acting or even fast travel (per se) to rely on, but Morrowind always felt like the more thought out and deep experience.  Anyone else feel this way?  Obviously Oblivion was great... I absolutely loved it, but every time I talk about Oblivion with someone I have to fall back on "but, did you ever play Morrowind?"  I think it's because Morrowind has such an enriching history to it that is interwoven into the adventuring in a way that Oblivion didn't. "
    Yeah, Oblivion was really just generic European fantasy. I like Morrowinds setting, it was a foreign land with it's own plants and wildlife, it really felt different. I'm not sure the main story was as strong, but Morrowind had great design.
    theditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By theditor

the funny thing is i've never finished the main quest in either game. though i probably have about 8 different playthroughs of each game.

lovecreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lovecreep

Probably next Gen saddly.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By voodooterror

never

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

There's a really good chance that they will make another Fallout game before they make another Elder Scrolls game, the reason being that they purchased the rights to Fallout to make more than one game with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.