Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

Leaked gameplay footage! Includes prologue!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Straight from Quakecon! There's admittedly not an awful lot here, but it's good to see a little more of the game in motion. Hopefully they'll release the entirety of what I would imagine are longer clips to the public.

Anywhoo, clip one!

Look familiar? You can't get a grasp of what the entire environment is like, but it's hard to deny from that clip that it bears an awfully strong resemblance to the awesome part in RE4, where Leon and Luis barricade themselves in a small house with Ganados smashing through the windows. With so many parallels to RE4, it makes me wonder if Mikami is going to attempt some sort of meta-commentary MGS2 style; perhaps about RE4 if not the entire Resident Evil series itself. Either that or... Mikami has simply ran out of ideas =/

Also, Sebastian is now officially confirmed to have the ability to move and shoot. Shame there's no lasersight, though.

Clip two!

Showing off the need for stealth here, though Sebastians movements do look a little stiff. He's injured, from what I can tell, but the animations in general haven't looked all that slick even in other stuff, like the gameplay portion they released during E3. Another showing of Mikami's latest chainsaw guy, and player decapitations are in full effect. Take that, Resident Evil 5! The amount of blood was pretty ridiculous, but it fits in with The Evil Within's very grungy, almost grindhouse aesthetic.

Clip three!

Not as much on show here since it's a small cutscene segment. Though it at least gives us a glimpse of Sebastian's neat jacket; shame he's inevitably going to lose it. Just like a certain other Mikami-lead protagonist. A brief look at one what'll probably be an enemy type, being a creature that is--or can at least turn--invisible.

So again, not much there. But considering how cagey they've been in showing off gameplay, I can't help but eat up every scrap they drop at my feet...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue Leak.

I was pretty reluctant to check this out at first, but I finally caved as I'm just so desperate. Atmosphere looks nice and thick anywhoo, though the animations, especially when Sebastian's starts jogging @4:15 looks really goofy. Hopefully they'll iron that out as time goes on, though I'd probably get used to it if that's really indicative of how Sebastian will animate in the full game.

Still, I wonder if it's because of stuff like that as to why they're not quite ready to start publicly showing off more of the game yet. It otherwise looks really attractive at least, and again I think the atmosphere is pretty striking.

EDIT: Ha, and as soon as I post it, it gets taken down... Oh well.

EDIT2: OK, here's another one, but gotta be quick as this'll also get snagged down pretty quickly, too.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

HOLY SHIT!! that looks amazing. Thanks for posting these aswome clips man. Got me excited that I'll play another epic survival-horror game, I can't wait.

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it oh no, I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jimmyfenix

Holy shit

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks really pretty ill give you that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Oh wow. Yep. Those clips sure do evoke the early parts of Resident Evil 4, but more blood I guess. What was the last game Mikami had a large hand in? Oh. Right. Shadows of the Damned. Which was a lot like Resident Evil 4.

I'll wait until this video is inevitably uploaded to the internet in its entirety before passing any more judgement.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

In response to no laser sight, it could be an option that can be turned on. Sort of like how Dead Space 2 and 3 turned off the laser sights by default, but they were still in the game.

Or not, I dunno!

Still, looking cool.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks pretty cool and I love how the first clip reminds me of the scene you mentioned from RE4. Chainsaw decapitation was pretty silly but if you say this is going for grindhouse gore then I guess it fits.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

shinji mikami's makin' another one of them resident evil 4's

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

It's looked interesting so far. I'll certainly be more interested closer to release.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is it weird that I immediately thought of this upon exposure to the title?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shinjin977

oooooo getting a serious RE4 vibe from this. I will take one to go please!!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is straight up RE4 looking. HYPED

Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Lazlow

Oh hell yes this looks freaking awesome. Getting some vibes from the old RE4 beta with more of a focus on horror but with what looks like a healthy blend of action (that said really hoping for more ghost like enemies!). And those sound effects just wow. Really looking forward to this.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By JBG4

That's an RE4 looking game if I've ever seen one. You can see the Mikami in all of those clips.

I am excited for this game. It looks great and hopefully will be a bit of a rebirth for console survivor horror games, that genre has all but faded away due to a lack of quality of the recently released games.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting!

Though, it always kinds of creeps me out when a crowd cheers for extreme violence, like his head being cut off. Like all the people cheering in that Last of Us demo when the guy got shot in the face. Just seems... weird.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM

This looks like my kind of game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game has the potential to be a spiritual-successor to RE4. It's probably going to be my most wanted next-gen title. Though I'm curious if this game is going to have that RE4 beta feel to it.

Loading Video...

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yup current gen RE4 I'm on board now!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@falserelic said:

This game has the potential to be a spiritual-successor to RE4. It's probably going to be my most wanted next-gen title. Though I'm curious if this game is going to have that RE4 beta feel to it.

Wow. That version looks all fucked up. That would of been so crazy-good.

And yea, TEW looks pretty good.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic said:

Wow. That version looks all fucked up. That would of been so crazy-good.

And yea, TEW looks pretty good.

The beta seemed to have more of a Silent Hill vibe about it. I really liked the creepy atmosphere of the beta, but at the sametime it didn't fit with the RE series. It seemed more paranormal and psychological. So I can understand why they felt the need to ditch it, and then again the devs wanted to take the series to a new direction.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looks cool. I will enjoy this game.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By darkvare

this is still current gen right?

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uhhhh, that first clip is like, exactly the same as that bit in RE4

the layout of that room is exactly the same

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting!

Though, it always kinds of creeps me out when a crowd cheers for extreme violence, like his head being cut off. Like all the people cheering in that Last of Us demo when the guy got shot in the face. Just seems... weird.

I don't think there's anything unusual or weird about it, especially when it comes to a game like this. The Last of Us was more pressing because it's a very serious game that's meant to put violence in a more ambigious light. Plus, the guy was begging for his life.

However, The Evil Within is a much more exploitative and relatively goofy sort of game, as evidenced by the fountain of blood that is Sebastian's neck. The crazy OTT violence is part of the appeal, just like it is in horror films like Reanimator and stuff.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvare said:

this is still current gen right?

It's cross-gen.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This looked pretty great at E3 but I don't know if the strong resemblance to RE4 is necessarily a good thing. I won't speak for others but personally I'm starved for innovation in gaming, to see something completely new. I'd love to see more studios take a hint from Dead Space and try their hand at making a horror game in the future, with some new form of enemy that isn't the lumbering zombie. That said this does look, at least initially, as an interesting addition to the rather starved horror genre.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TruthTellah

@yummylee said:
    @truthtellah said:

Looks interesting!

I don't think there's anything unusual or weird about it, especially when it comes to a game like this. The Last of Us was more pressing because it's a very serious game that's meant to put violence in a more ambigious light. Plus, the guy was begging for his life.

However, The Evil Within is a much more exploitative and relatively goofy sort of game, as evidenced by the fountain of blood that is Sebastian's neck. The crazy OTT violence is part of the appeal, just like it is in horror films like Reanimator and stuff.

I suppose. I guess I expect more surprised or like "ouch" reactions than kind of a "Woohoo!", you know? Isn't that the normal human reaction? Isn't that why over-the-top violence is supposed to add to tension and horror? The shock of such graphic imagery.

Wooting for it seems like the next progression in desensitization. Like moving from being shocked to not affected and then actually celebratory. I can understand these gamers' appreciation for the fact that the game will have over-the-top violence, but cheering for that sort of thing just seems odd to me. It's certainly less thorny than cheering for The Last of Us's violence, as you noted, but it still feels a bit creepy and unusual.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Castiel

@truthtellah said:

Looks interesting!

Yeah I kinda agree with that. Though with some games that are little more over the top and not realistic it can be okay to cheer and stuff, but I also feel a bit weird about when I see so called "professional" video game journalist scream and cheer like a bunch of teenagers when they see extreme violence.

The worst example of that was not with violence though, but with an early showing of Skyrim. They showed the game of at some event and the player talked to a female npc when all of a sudden some random dude in the crowd shouted "rape her!" and the crowd basically responded with "fuck yeah!". They started laughing and cheering and shit. I have never felt so bad about the video game industry. Some times I think video games deserve the bad reputation they have gotten, but not because of the games, but because of the gamers.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castiel said:

The worst example of that was not with violence though, but with an early showing of Skyrim. They showed the game of at some event and the player talked to a female npc when all of a sudden some random dude in the crowd shouted "rape her!" and the crowd basically responded with "fuck yeah!". They started laughing and cheering and shit. I have never felt so bad about the video game industry. Some times I think video games deserve the bad reputation they have gotten, but not because of the games, but because of the gamers.

...what.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TruthTellah

@castiel said:

@truthtellah said:

Looks interesting!

Yeah I kinda agree with that. Though with some games that are little more over the top and not realistic it can be okay to cheer and stuff, but I also feel a bit weird about when I see so called "professional" video game journalist scream and cheer like a bunch of teenagers when they see extreme violence.

There are definitely those moments. Though, gamers are just regular people who happen to like games. And when people feel like they're in a very like-minded environment, they tend to be more willing to express what they might otherwise be embarrassed to express. Unfortunately, I feel similarly as a gamer very connected with the online gaming community. Even though Giant Bomb is often better in many respects to other places online, it doesn't change that people here are still people, and so, on a regular basis, they say awful things. And people cheer on those awful things. Whole threads that make me a bit embarrassed to be a duder occasionally crop up, but then, they're still a subsection of what I see in Giant Bomb.

The whole is worth it even with the rougher moments. I've talked with some very decent gamers and simply good individuals in the gaming community, but that doesn't mean they don't at times express themselves in a repugnant manner or express views that frankly shock me. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality of humanity. And no matter what niche community we're in, the same issues of any community and the people within one exist.

My point here was more that this kind of response creeped me out. I don't think it's nearly as thorny and/or awful as The Last of Us example or your Skyrim example. I think they're relatively different in some respects. This is just somewhat unsettling, not necessarily "wrong".

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TruthTellah

@yummylee said:
    @castiel said:

...what.

Yeah, I believe he's referring to Quakecon 2011. A lot of the audience were young folk, but still. There was a 40 min leaked video from the con of them showing off Skyrim, and in a few spots, people laughed and cheered at some questionable things. As he mentioned, one guy could be heard shouting, "rape her!" when the demoer ran into a female NPC, and some in the crowd laughed and cheered. At another point, the demoer killed someone and a guy in the crowd shouted for him to teabag the dead body and people laughed. The leaked demo was cool, but some of the stuff from the crowd was rather juvenile and offensive.

It was a rather raucous crowd, shouting most of the time for the demoer to just kill everyone. "Kill the dog! Kill all the townspeople! Rape her! Kill them!" That's pretty much how it was. You can watch it here, along with the obnoxious crowd("Rape her!" is a little muffled, followed by some cheers at around 14min in):

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@truthtellah: a large part of that reaction is due to the fact that over the years we have been conditioned by videogames to react that way, but in context of games only. How often do you perceive NPC baddies as anything closely resembling a human being or a creature you might have reservations about killing. They are just rag dolls that often times flash with a big EXECUTE button over their heads. I don't think videogame violence is anything to be worried about. None of it looks remotely real. I'm more worried or weirded out by people that are excited to go watch movies like SAW where you have gore and suffering depicted as realistically as possible and people in the audience cheering.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and he still don't know how to work a camera,

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are you doing, dude? They die quicker when you shoot off their limbs.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TruthTellah

@humanity said:

@truthtellah: a large part of that reaction is due to the fact that over the years we have been conditioned by videogames to react that way, but in context of games only. How often do you perceive NPC baddies as anything closely resembling a human being or a creature you might have reservations about killing. They are just rag dolls that often times flash with a big EXECUTE button over their heads. I don't think videogame violence is anything to be worried about. None of it looks remotely real. I'm more worried or weirded out by people that are excited to go watch movies like SAW where you have gore and suffering depicted as realistically as possible and people in the audience cheering.

See, now that's a difference of degrees, and I'd say the interactive nature of videogames bridges that gap in its own way. Cheering at stuff like SAW kind of creeps me out, as well. Though, I think the graphical realism gap is less of an issue when you combine how a player is more likely to be an active participant in doing or receiving over-the-top violence. That additional level of investment makes a difference. I'd consider both to be relatively similar at this point.

As far as perceiving NPCs as anything close to resembling a human being or a creature I might have reservations about killing, well, I'd say I have more consideration of that than you might expect. Though, I'm an odd fellow; so, yes, I'd imagine many people have a more clear distinction. Or at least they believe they do. I do think you can invest meaning into NPCs though, and you can even feel for creatures in a game. It's like an even more detached version of caring about a pet. Obviously, you care more about human family members, but you still care about your pet in a particular way. Caring about virtual characters is somewhat similar to that, even if you obviously care more about your real pet.

While I would agree that there is little concern for most NPCs, I wouldn't go so far as to say people don't invest meaning into them. There can be both healthy and unhealthy investment in virtual characters and actions.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Fearbeard

Sweet. Looks like Resident Evil before it became complete shit.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It reminds me a lot of Resident Evil 4, which is great. RE4 is both my favorite Resident Evil game and one of my personal top 10 games of all time. Good to see idTech 5 getting put to good use too.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

That's cool. I've played Resident Evil 4 already, though. He's gonna have to give me something more than RE4 again in order for me to care.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically what im getting out of those few short videos is a better controlling, possible stealth sections, next gen and hopefully for more horror then action version of RE4? sign me up!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Yummylee
    @lego_my_eggo said:

Basically what im getting out of those few short videos is a better controlling, possible stealth sections, next gen and hopefully for more horror then action version of RE4?

That's the idea, yeah. There's also going to be a lot of supernatural/psychological stuff in there ala Silent Hill, with the environments shifting around and stuff.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @lego_my_eggo said:

Basically what im getting out of those few short videos is a better controlling, possible stealth sections, next gen and hopefully for more horror then action version of RE4?

That's the idea, yeah. There's also going to be a lot of supernatural/psychological stuff in there ala Silent Hill, with the environments shifting around and stuff.

Yeah, never really thought about that. Now they don't have to be tied back with the fiction of Resident Evil being being about a "realistic" zombie and mutant outbreak brought about by science, they can go as crazy and supernatural as they want.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: Ironically enough that's exactly the reason why the Hookman build of RE4 never went through, because they thought it was too 'paranormal' for Resident Evil.

Because apparently Leon hallucinating ghostly enemies after being injected with the progenitor virus--still in line with the horrible science theme of Resident Evil--is so much more 'out there' than a bunch of ancient zombifying parasites being dug up. Still, I'd like to hope this is Mikami's attempt to fall back on some of the ideas he had in mind for the Hookman build.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looks really neat. Surprisingly so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my fav ever re4 so I'm on board.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my fav ever re4 so I'm on board.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumpin' this for the sake of the new prologue leak! Though again, gotta get through it quick before this too will inevitably get taken down.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That ghost entity sliced their shit up real good. I hope the storyline doesn't end to where it turnsout you killed that ghost entity. That would be pretty cliche if that happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.