Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

Project Zwei is "The Evil Within", set for release in 2014.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

Announcement and live-action trailer: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/19/shinji-mikamis-new-game-is-the-evil-within?abthid=517131fafa0570b54b000005

Bethesda has officially announced The Evil Within, the first game from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami’s studio Tango Gameworks. The Evil Within is a survival horror title due to arrive on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and next-generation consoles in 2014.

“We’re incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within,” said Mikami. “My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action.”

IGN will have exclusive first impressions of The Evil Within on Monday, April 22nd at 7:00 a.m. Pacific, so be sure to check back then for our thoughts on an early demo along with a behind-the-scenes look at Tango Gameworks.

The trailer is great, it certainly looks like they're serious about the horror theme. Very excited to see the game in action.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JZ

How can that trailer be great? It was live action and had nothing to do with the game.

All that trailer made me think is "oh you are makeing silent hill, complete with a pyramid head guy"

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

@jz: It's an enjoyable trailer that shows the look and tone they're going for, as well as some of the creature designs?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Found the live-action trailer a bit corny, can't wait to see more though.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would have preferred an in-engine trailer (I'm not one of those people who insist all things must be gameplay), but the monster designs are giving me a 13 Ghosts vibe. As corny as that movie is, the ghosts were all manners of fucked up looking. Tone on the other hand is giving me a kind of early 20th century european horror vibe*.

* I have no idea what that actually means.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@icemael said:

@jz: It's an enjoyable trailer that shows the look and tone they're going for, as well as some of the creature designs?

Star Wars the Old Republic. Aliens Coninal Marines. ALL CG TRAILERS/LIVE ACTION TRAILERS. No way to judge anything by that kinda crap.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Is it going to be an FMV game? I would totally play a Shinji Mikami directed FMV game!

It's not going to be an FMV game, is it?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Is it going to be an FMV game? I would totally play a Shinji Mikami directed FMV game!

I found some screen shots. Its got a super super SUPER Resident Evil 4 vibe.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@the_laughing_man said:

@mooseymcman said:

mind sharing with the rest of the class?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@mooseymcman said:

Now this game has my attention again.

(But I still hope there's some FMV in it.)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mooseymcman said:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/52557/the-evil-within-screenshots-are-genuinely-evil-a-new-generation-of-horror/

Thanks. Looking over those screenshots I'm seeing a lot more Lovecraft than Resident Evil 4, but the game certainly looks like it could be something special.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@mooseymcman said:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/52557/the-evil-within-screenshots-are-genuinely-evil-a-new-generation-of-horror/

Thanks. Looking over those screenshots I'm seeing a lot more Lovecraft than Resident Evil 4, but the game certainly looks like it could be something special.

The one with all the fire in the background and the dude with the big sword is the one that screams RE4. I really hope its super paranormal.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

We can only hope the full game has an FMV intro.

Loading Video...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

While The Evil Within is a terribly generic title, I'm still really happy about the almost Clive Barker-ian sort of imagery it's got going on. The screenshots definitely evoke Resident Evil 4 in some cases, but the environments look a helluva lot more disturbing than anything found in RE4 to be sure. Great use of lighting in particular as well, like the way it shadows over the main character and that four armed lady monster thing, still keeping an air of mystery about it. I just really hope Mikami will still stick by his assertion that is a genuine horror game and not just a game with a bit of horror in it.

Also, here's some added details from famitsu:

Story

When Detective Sebastian and his partner rush to the scene of a gruesome mass murder, a mysterious, powerful force is lying in wait for them. Witnessing the killing of fellow police officers one after another, Sebastian is then attacked and loses consciousness. Waking up in a land where monsters are wandering about, Sebastian has to fight his way through a world of death and its close friend madness in order to understand what’s going on. Sebastian has to face his fears in order to survive on a journey to discover what lies in the shadows of that mysterious force.

Key Features

• A Return to Pure Survival Horror: From the father of the survival horror genre, Shinji Mikami. He appears once again as the director of this game, one which makes your blood run cold, but heats you right back up. Players must survive on limited resources, experiencing that supreme match of action and horror, that indescribable terror. To survive in an afflicted world, your anxiety and nerves will be pushed to the edge.
    • Brutal Traps and Enemies with Puzzles: While struggling to survive, you’ll have to face indescribable terror, cruel traps, and sly mechanisms. Players can die in a trap all too easily, however, at times they can turn them against enemies.
    • In an Unstable World, Not All Horrors are in Plain Sight: The player is driven into a corner as the world distorts and warps according to mysterious and evil horrors. The scenery: hallways, walls, doors, rooms, buildings, and even nature, all transforming in real time based on the player’s actions. And the threats keep coming from all directions.
    • A Supernova of Horror: By setting one foot in this world weaved from lush backdrops, characters with personality, and a polished story, players will be sucked in, willing or unwilling, tension and anxiety rapidly mounting. When that fear is smashed and conquered, you can experience the bliss that can only be found in The Evil Within.

Mostly a lot of marketing junk, but still I do like the idea of it toying with some psychological horror sorta stuff. Which is what RE4's Hook Man build was supposed to entail, so maybe he'll be porting his ideas from that into this.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please let this game be as good as RE4

BigSteve1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

From looking at the information which is dripping out it looks like it's going to be worth playing. Also would it be wrong to hope this kicks a revival for console based Survival horror (and a massive kick up the arse to more mainstream games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill)

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Egg0
    No Caption Provided

This one feels especially like RE4, like the first village at the beginning

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By reisz

@mooseymcman said:

Not in the shitty real world but that's a dream I can get Behind!

This screenshot has me the most excited by far. Hopefully this is mid game exposition and not from the opening or something. If this suggests the sort of pacing where things fluctuate from normal to batshit and back, I'm sold. that sort of flow is one of the reasons I love Parasite Eve 2 so much.

No Caption Provided

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks way more fucked up than RE4 and too fucked up for me. I'm sure Patrick will love it though

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Interest piqued. Hopefully it will be a better playing game then Shadows of the Damned, Mikami's last 3rd person horror-ish shooter game thing.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks really good. I really like the Barker, Lovecraftian design. And that four armed thing is really creepy. Not to mention the guy whose skin is hanging from his face. Can't wait to see more.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I feel like this is a message to Konami and Capcom that if they can't manage a couple of well established horror franchises, someone else needs to come in and steal their audience.

This looks a lot like Silent Hill 2 to me. Hopefully it won't rely too much on action.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.