Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

The Evil Within to get itself a prequel comic.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Yo

Seems to be this sort of practise of producing a prequel comic is getting ever more popular. Makes sense, though, since you've got more multi-media happenings going on with your franchise right off the bat that budding fans may be interested in. I'm sure it's also cheaper than, say, making a tie-in direct-to-dvd film, too. OK, I'm not actually sure since I have no idea about anything to do with comic production, but... I would gather as such.

So anywhoo yeah, the first issue (of four) is to be released on the 27th of August, but a day after the game's release in the US. It's to be written by Ian Edginton, with Alex Sanchez producing the art which... again, means very little to me as I have practically zero knowledge when it comes to comic books. So I basically have no idea if these guys are masters of their craft or are a pair of garbage dispensers. Though I'm sure there's plenty of comic book aficionados on here who'd like to weigh in on if this series is in good hands.

As for myself I wouldn't wanna spend more than I need to since this series is still an anomaly right now, so I'm not going to buy myself the comic book until I know for sure if this'll be something I'm interested in... Which will hopefully turn out to be the case, but for now I don't want to spend more money than is necessary towards this thing.

Cover looks alright at least.
    Cover looks alright at least.

Also, unrelated, but here's a funny trailer The Onion cooked up as a bit of creative marketing for the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Camaaaaaaaaaannn

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Steadying

That's pretty cool. Probably never gonna read it, though, like most video game comic things.

Definitely looking forward to this game. Not sure why everyone suddenly thinks it doesn't look very good, I think it still looks pretty fun. :/

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yummylee

@steadyingmeat said:

That's pretty cool. Probably never gonna read it, though, like most video game comic things.

Definitely looking forward to this game. Not sure why everyone suddenly thinks it doesn't look very good, I think it still looks pretty fun. :/

That latest trailer they posted makes the game look really rough. Hopefully that's just the last gen version, but I'm still excited for it regardless and it's to be a definite day-one purchase. I simply have to play this game, and it's going to be the game that'll finally push me over into getting a PS4.

Plus the grungy and grindhouse-esque aesthetic will hopefully manage to pick up the slack anywhoo. Though if anything I'm glad this isn't looking like this crazy-expensive blockbuster, because that's precisely what you don't want for what is supposed to be a survival horror game, otherwise... well, you end up with RE5 & 6.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@yummylee said:

@steadyingmeat said:

That latest trailer they posted makes the game look really rough. Hopefully that's just the last gen version, but I'm still excited for it regardless and it's to be a definite day-one purchase. I simply have to play this game, and it's going to be the game that'll finally push me over into getting a PS4.

Plus the grungy and grindhouse-esque aesthetic will hopefully manage to pick up the slack anywhoo. Though if anything I'm glad this isn't looking like this crazy-expensive blockbuster, because that's precisely what you don't want for what is supposed to be a survival horror game, otherwise... well, you up end with RE5 & 6.

I didn't really mind the roughness of some of the texture work, even though I definitely noticed it. I felt as though that what was going on, in terms of gameplay, environments and monster design made up for it easily. Doesn't exactly look like the most subtle of horror games, but I'm definitely in.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

As much as I love comics, video game ti-ins are usually bad(USUALLY), like the one they made with prototype.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yummylee: After rewatching the trailer, I guess it does look kinda rough. I still think the story looks fairly interesting though and the gameplay they've shown so far has looked fine in my opinion.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yummylee

@steadyingmeat: No yeah of course, and like I said I'm still plenty excited to see how it all comes together. But I can also understand the sentiment that a few are maybe turned off it a little because of how cheap it looks in certain areas.

Also, I know the title is all about the prequel comic and all... but ya'll should really watch that trailer below.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I hate when games do this...I'm not a fan of reading comics.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glots

I recently found a Red Alert 2 comic printed on cheap paper, that sorta retold the game's intro. It was pretty terrible, even for just having maybe 4-5 pages. Odd that I can't find a scan of it with google, maybe it's a rare collector's item worth millions...either way, I would've just shown how those characters in it look nothing like their counterparts in-game.

I hate when games do this...I'm not a fan of reading comics.

Comics I'm alright with, but screw Blizzard for telling some of their WoW stories (with a bunch of them related to in-game events) with novels. I want cinematics or quests for that stuff, goddamnit!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.