Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

Zwei was initially action game where u hunted vampires

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Yo, fuck that stupid 60 character limit... The amount of cutting down I've had to make to that bloody title, and my original one was actually less than 60 characters anyway! I bloody counted that shit myself.

Anywhoo, some really good readin' here from Polygon, hafta admit. It not only discusses the beginnings of what we now know as The Evil Within's development, but gets into certain aspects of Mikami as a developer himself, too. In fact he was almost something of a tyrant (LULZ) back when he was younger, though I'm sure that's probably pretty common for a lot of creative leads, especially back then.

Neat to hear the reason why it all started as Project Zwei as well, and it's kinda funny that Zwei may have once had you controlling two separate characters simultaneously, ala Brothers. If only because Brothers control scheme is pretty unique, when it's now brought to mind that for all know, just about every developer has thought about it but shyed away from the idea for one reason or another.

I personally am of course happy to see that Mikami eventually settled on making a new horror game anywhoo, though hearing that he received feedback about vampires ''not being popular'' is peculiar. I thought vampires were still pretty big? Obviously Twilight's, er, spin on vampires have put them in a bad light (pun), but even besides that vampires are like one of those concepts that'll forever stand the test of time... Just like... actual vampires... Ughhhhh.

Interesting to see that he's even eyeing up his potential proteges to take on Tango's next project, too. Also, the director behind Code: Veronica (and designer for God Hand & Vanquish) has decided to become a farmer. Huh. Anywhoo, a really insightful interview right up there, and the formatting for it all is just wonderful. I find Polygon to be exceptionally disagreeable more often than not, but they usually tend to feature really great interviews at least.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Camaaaaaaan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I figured it would have some level of multiple character control, I just figured it would be a more streamlined Resident Evil Zero. It was either that or co-op because you don't name a game Zwei (two) for no reason.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By scroll

While vampires are played out in the cinema, I can't think of any recent games that have done them well. From the footage I've seen recently you have to burn most enemies anyway so maybe that's a hold over of some sort.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@yummylee said:

Also, the director behind Code: Veronica (and designer for God Hand & Vanquish) has decided to become a farmer. Huh.

I guess its true that one person can only have so much CUHRAZY in their life

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scroll said:

While vampires are played out in the cinema, I can't think of any recent games that have done them well. From the footage I've seen recently you have to burn most enemies anyway so maybe that's a hold over of some sort.

Sounds plausible, although given the game's many (sometimes blatant) references to Mikami's work in Resident Evil, this could be another where he's referring to how you had to burn the zombie corpses in the remake, lest they transform into Crimson Heads.

I figured it would have some level of multiple character control, I just figured it would be a more streamlined Resident Evil Zero. It was either that or co-op because you don't name a game Zwei (two) for no reason.

It had coop as well, with each player controlling each character while you're both literally tied to one another via a chain. It actually sounds intriguing, though it's the sorta concept that would maybe fly more so as a small scale downloadable game, as opposed to a full priced retail product. Maybe they'll get around to it one day after The Evil Within, because we're certainly a little short in the vampire department; they're right up there with dinosaurs at this point.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A vampire survival-horror game would have been nice. Shit, that would have been just fucking aswome. Countdown Vampires is the only survival-horror game that uses vampire ( Aleast That I can think of anyway).

Loading Video...

Problem with this game was that it was basically Resident Evil with vampires. It wouldn't have been bad if it was well made, but it wasn't. Dino Crisis did the samething, but that game still had some unique things about it. Anyway as for ''The Evil Within'' I still look forward to playing it. Interesting to here it was going to be a action title. Though I'm glad it's not we already have enough of those games coming out.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Huh, wow. I've never even heard of that game before.

Oh... it was never released in Europe, that may explain why >=/

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@falserelic: Huh, wow. I've never even heard of that game before.

Oh... it was never released in Europe, that may explain why >=/

I'm not surprised, alot of people haven't heard of it. When I was a teen I remember just looking up abunch of Survival-Horror games and found it. People was pissed about this game because it gave false info. Anyway, I've played this game along time ago. I downloaded it on my custom psp and it pissed me off. I kept getting fucking lost and confused, as for the enemies they was like bullet sponges. That one gun you see in the vid you have to knock them down and wash them with holy water. I was so fucking glad when I found the shotgun. Though it was short lived because the game just stopped working on my psp for some reason.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee

@falserelic: From the video you uploaded it primarily looks like an elaborate Resident Evil 3 mod or something. But yeah, on the surface most survival horror games of that era all look the same, yet there's often many minute differences that in actuality make them very different from one another.

Still, for as poor as it apparently was, I would have loved to give it a go. Can't imagine it'll ever show up on the PSN store, though... Oh well. Funnily enough we in Europe have our own survival horror game that was never released in the US :P It's called Deep Fear, a sega saturn exclusive. Though unfortunately that too I've never played... Don't have a sega saturn anymore, and the game itself is crazy expensive as you'd likely expect. Well, the European version is anywhoo.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@falserelic: From the video you uploaded it primarily looks like an elaborate Resident Evil 3 mod or something. But yeah, on the surface most survival horror games of that era all look the same, yet there's often many minute differences that in actuality make them very different from one another.

Still, for as poor as it apparently was, I would have loved to give it a go. Can't imagine it'll ever show up on the PSN store, though... Oh well. Funnily enough we in Europe have our own survival horror game that was never released in the US :P It's called Deep Fear, a sega saturn exclusive. Though unfortunately that too I've never played... Don't have a sega saturn anymore, and the game itself is crazy expensive as you'd likely expect. Well, the European version is anywhoo.

First time I've heard of deep fear. I've seen some gameplay, I might see if I can download that actually out of curiosity.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#12  Edited By DonutFever

I always think it's crazy how different games are from what they were originally supposed to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.