Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Fall

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 30, 2014

After a space explorer falls from orbit and is rendered either unconscious or dead, the AI system that runs his armour takes direct control of the suit to try and find her partner some medical help.

Just finished The Fall (possible spoilers)

dusker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I thought the story was decent, but I wasn't too keen on some of the gameplay. It might just be that I'm not into adventure games, but I disliked just cycling through every item I found on any particular location I could interact with. I sort of just felt myself become frustrated early on that I wasn't in the same headspace as the developer, so it made a lot of choices feel arbitrary. Like, why do I need one specific glass far to collect slug goo in? Why can't I cup my hands, or us some other bit of garbage that's lying around everywhere?

I thought the action elements were a bit rough, but I good distraction from the other adventure elements of the game.

For those who have played through it, what did y'all think?

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Guybrush

I've just finished it and I really enjoyed it.

Being an adventure game fan I didn't mind the style of puzzles in the game. What frustrated me was not being able to see things at first and spending ages looking for items.

I also thought the UI for using items was a little clunky.

However, I loved the style and look of the game. I thought it was very similar to The Swapper, which is no bad thing. I especially loved the menus and they way they would glitch. It's a very impressive looking game.

I'm really looking forward to future episodes.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@guybrush said:

Being an adventure game fan I didn't mind the style of puzzles in the game. What frustrated me was not being able to see things at first and spending ages looking for items.

Yep, I overlooked a breakable ceiling at one point and spent like 30 minutes running through every area aimlessly. I also found that the way you accessed the inventory was a bit awkward. The story and overall visuals were pretty good though.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought the story was interesting but the rest--in particular the art design, animations and combat--was pretty rough. It felt like an early access game.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I finished this when it first came out and I thought it was a pretty solid adventure game, but the action bits were pretty weak. I enjoyed it fine but I was kind of miffed at the initial steam steam store page suggesting it was episode one of a three part series, but was later edited to obfuscate that. \

dusker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, the animations were definitely rough at times, though I don't think it looked or played like an early access game. The one animation that I kept going back to was his landing after he jumps. I mean, there isn't even really an animation. I think in one frame he's in his jump animation, and the next he's just walking normally again. It's pretty bizarre. But I thought the twist was pretty good, actually.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

It was a solid start, i used all the trading cards from the holiday sale to buy it and ended up paying .22 cents.

I thought the graphic design was solid and moody, very much like the swapper but cleaner.

I did not see the end coming, it was quite a surprise, I hope we get more of ARID though as she goes rambo and murders humanity or something, If they really just scrap her like they say that's lame, i don't want a disconnected 2nd story.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

I just finished it, I liked it, very much looking forward to the next episode.

I consulted a guide a handful of times because sometimes I just had no idea what to do next. The twist in the end didn't make me go :0 but it was enough to make me very likely to buy the next episode.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@thunderslash said:

@guybrush said:

Yep, I overlooked a breakable ceiling at one point and spent like 30 minutes running through every area aimlessly. I also found that the way you accessed the inventory was a bit awkward. The story and overall visuals were pretty good though.

Man, that fucking panel in the ceiling. I know modern games have conditioned us to expect visual cues for everything, and I'm fine when adventure games buck that trend and don't necessarily highlight every interactable object with a shiny glow, but if you're not going to highlight stuff then don't put important shit up in the top 5% of the screen where I'm almost never going to move the cursor. That's just asinine.

Anyway, yeah, the writing was great (the interactions between ARID and the facility management program were great), and the voice acting was surprisingly of an incredibly good quality. I'll agree that some of the animations are a little weak, but I didn't mind the puzzles or the UI as much as some of you.

Also, I think it was Vinny in the Quick Look/Unfinished who theorized about ARID misrepresenting the reality of her pilot from the start, so yeah, I remembered that when I started playing it, and boy is it ever obvious that there was no way the game was going to end up with a live pilot inside ARID's suit. Even guessing at the ending, it was still a great ride.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.