Tropico 3 Dev's Action Title, The First Templar, Revealed

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Ever wanted to play as a "noble lady" who's been proclaimed as a heretic in an action adventure title? Haemimont Games hopes that's high on our bucket list. The minds behind Tropico 3 and Grand Ages Rome have been revealed as the developer behind the newly announced The First Templar, an action title with a cooperative twist and no cover system to speak of (yet). 

As the name suggests, the game is based in the 13th century. You'll control either a French Templar or his partner, a noble lady, in a quest to "discover the secret of the Holy Grail" that'll take you across 20 "historically accurate" locations. According to the press materials, the game will feature on-the-fly switching between the two characters in single-player, and drop-in and drop-out co-op in multiplayer. It's also mentioned that each character will have his or her own special abilities, fueled by some sort of RPG development system that is influenced by level progression and exploration.  

Four billion images from an alpha build have been released. Check them out.

The First Templar is slated to hit the PC and Xbox 360 in Q1 2011--a quarter that is probably going to get even busier real fast-like if this year was a good indicator of future trends.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Ever wanted to play as a "noble lady" who's been proclaimed as a heretic in an action adventure title? Haemimont Games hopes that's high on our bucket list. The minds behind Tropico 3 and Grand Ages Rome have been revealed as the developer behind the newly announced The First Templar, an action title with a cooperative twist and no cover system to speak of (yet). 

As the name suggests, the game is based in the 13th century. You'll control either a French Templar or his partner, a noble lady, in a quest to "discover the secret of the Holy Grail" that'll take you across 20 "historically accurate" locations. According to the press materials, the game will feature on-the-fly switching between the two characters in single-player, and drop-in and drop-out co-op in multiplayer. It's also mentioned that each character will have his or her own special abilities, fueled by some sort of RPG development system that is influenced by level progression and exploration.  

Four billion images from an alpha build have been released. Check them out.

The First Templar is slated to hit the PC and Xbox 360 in Q1 2011--a quarter that is probably going to get even busier real fast-like if this year was a good indicator of future trends.    
#2 Edited by AlKusanagi (962 posts) -

Got several friends absolutely addicted to the Tropico game series. Might have to check it out.

#3 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

Shrubberies: check.

#4 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -
@BradNicholson said:
" Ever wanted to play as a "noble lady" who's been proclaimed as a heretic in an action adventure title? "
Yes, I've wanted that exact thing.
#5 Posted by xyzygy (10064 posts) -

Lol @ Last Templar in title.

#6 Edited by themangalist (1742 posts) -

remember the last Templar action game?
ya, it failed so hard.
 at least that dude had a great helm on. I would not want to play as a rubberface.

#7 Posted by Conker (788 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
"Lol @ Last Templar in title. "

Also, looks interesting. Waiting for some gameplay vids before making any judgements.
#8 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

If I get a quest revolving around chopping down a tree with a herring. I would only be mildly surprised.

#9 Posted by jaks (246 posts) -

The New Testament: Total Warrior

#10 Edited by mnzy (2920 posts) -
#11 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Interesting, "historically accurate," eh? That could be...kinda awesome, if they do it right.

#12 Posted by Det1 (190 posts) -

Even the visual style looks retro!

#13 Posted by kamoku (62 posts) -

How dare they! Completely ripping off the next call of duty game, CoD: Medieval Warfare
Shame on them..

#14 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -
@jaks said:
"  The New Testament: Total Warrior "
dude. this look nothing like total warrior.

and total warrior is my one of my favourite action games of all time!
#15 Posted by ZmillA (2281 posts) -

hope its good, I like it when games are good and worth my time and money

#16 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

gooooodmooorrrrrrrrniiiiiiiiiinnnngggg TROPICOOOOOOO i am JUANITOOOOOOOOOO

#17 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -
@Faint said:
"gooooodmooorrrrrrrrniiiiiiiiiinnnngggg TROPICOOOOOOO i am JUANITOOOOOOOOOO "

If for some strange reason there was that radio dude in this game it would be day 1 buy for me but I doublt it so wait and see how it turns out.
#18 Posted by AdSapien (104 posts) -

Wait a second, which side had Cave Giants in the Crusades?

#19 Posted by Seedofpower (3947 posts) -

I pray for steam achievements .

#20 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -

Dude. Looks awesome. I am excited.
#21 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

This looks really good. Haemimont has made some good RTSs over their time as big shot developers, and not to speak of Tropico 3. I'm really excited. This might be worth looking more into.

#22 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -
@LiquidS said:
"@Faint said:
If for some strange reason there was that radio dude in this game it would be day 1 buy for me but I doublt it so wait and see how it turns out. "

Yes, it would be worth buying the game just so i could stab him multiple times. Preferably in the face. Or the throat. Whatever causes him to shut up faster.
#23 Posted by ectoplasma (983 posts) -

Im excited about the drop in drop out multiplayer part. I love me some good button mashy coop action rpgs.

#24 Posted by ectoplasma (983 posts) -
@Shirogane: Rofl. I hear you. The sound in Tropico is really its biggest downside...
#25 Posted by Jimbo (9931 posts) -

Could be interesting, unless they announce that the Noble Lady is actually a magician or something stupid.

#26 Posted by Carlos1408 (1536 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @LiquidS said:
"@Faint said:
If for some strange reason there was that radio dude in this game it would be day 1 buy for me but I doublt it so wait and see how it turns out. "
Yes, it would be worth buying the game just so i could stab him multiple times. Preferably in the face. Or the throat. Whatever causes him to shut up faster. "
In that case I would recommend the throat. :)
#27 Posted by JeevesPleez (332 posts) -

Noble lady? I'm obviously missing something - I only see two grizzly bearded men. Wait... eww...

#28 Edited by MeatSim (10926 posts) -

I got Tropico 3 when it was 75% off on Steam.  I should actually go play it some time, I liked the demo of it.

#29 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

Looks kinda cool, not diggin' the health bars though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.