Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Godfather

Franchise »

A game franchise based on the classic series of mafia films by Francis Ford Coppola.

The Godfather Trilogy

jpklis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jpklis

I just finished watching the Godfather Part 2 and so far both part 1 and 2 have been great as expected.  I have heard part 3 isnt nearly as good as 1 and 2.  Should I watch part 3 or is it okay to skip it?

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lemon360
    @jpklis: do NOT watch 3. its decent as a regular movie, but garbage as a godfather.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Watch either the first and second again and do coke off of the third one.

Godfather 3's reputation as not being "like" the first two is well deserved. It isn't just that it isn't as good - it's not even in the same fucking ballpark. The first two are classics, two of the greatest movies of all time. The third isn't really even that good of a movie - Godfather or not.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I would say see it just to say you saw it, but know that the first two are masterpieces.

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Civraz

@auspiciousqueue said:

"I would say see it just to say you saw it, but know that the first two are masterpieces. "

agreed
    Peloquin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Peloquin

I know part three isn't anything on part one and two but I do like part three. It shows Michael's deep personal conflict about what he felt he 'had' to do to protect his family. It deals with remorse and the question of redemption. Can Michael ever be forgiven for what he's done and what is the cost of that forgiveness?. I think the movie contributes well to the over all trilogy and is certainly worth the watch.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Out_On_Bail

If you want to experience the entire Don Michael Corleone experience, then you'd have to watch part three. But everyone is right, it's definitely not as good as the others. So long as you know what your getting into you won't be too mad. Three completes the trilogy, so I say watch it - at least that way you'll understand why we don't like it so much. 

Glad you liked the movies though, in my opinion part two is by far the best mafia/mob/organized crime movie you'll ever see.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

Watch it, it isn't as good as the others but it still is good.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By PJ

Part 3 is a piece of shit, but if you want to find out why everyone is saying its shit then watch it and join our misery.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nasar7

I agree with what everyone else has said. The first time I caught the last movie on TV I was like wtf is this stupid Godfather ripoff? Lo and behold, it was Part 3 >.>

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @Peloquin said:
    " I know part three isn't anything on part one and two but I do like part three. It shows Michael's deep personal conflict about what he felt he 'had' to do to protect his family. It deals with remorse and the question of redemption. Can Michael ever be forgiven for what he's done and what is the cost of that forgiveness?. I think the movie contributes well to the over all trilogy and is certainly worth the watch. "
    This is a good point. I think we all hate on part three because we expect more of 1 & 2 - which it's not.  If you can try to accept it as a different story in the same setting, you might enjoy it. It does show a side of Michael that is not yet seen. He is religious - yet still one clever boss. I just get so lost in all the church/pope stuff that it lost its luster, at least for me.  

Good point though, Peloquin. Your post actually made me want to go watch it again, just to be sure I don't like it.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Wolverine
    @jpklis: I here from everyone that it is horrible and that they couldn't finish it but I never saw it,
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Siphillis

If you can stomach Sofia Coppola's acting, an absence of Tom Hagan (Robert Duvall), and a convoluted and uninteresting story, then watch it and enjoy, because Al Pacino has never delivered a better performance.  The whole crime story aspect of Part III certainly is a sore spot, but in retrospect the Godfather trilogy wasn't really about the inner workings of organized crime anyways, but rather how it interfered, enhanced, accelerated, and ultimately doomed the family involved.  Part I, in particular, was my favorite because of its operatic nature: the isolated Don in his pristine office, pondering if his means for survival has stripped his children of a legitimate life, and his son, so hellbent on abandoning the "family business," failed to see that his father had always felt the same way.  A better film in regards to a realistic portrayal of the mafia would be Martin Scorsese's "Goodfellas" (1990), being based on a true story. 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14  Edited By Black_Rose

I loved Part III, I think the hate for it is complete bullshit. For me it's like this: Part I > Part III > Part II. They're all fucking amazing movies though.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AngeTheDude

I really didn't like the third one. Sofia Coppola could have been replaced with a tree and it would have been a better film.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By fillmoejoe

Best part of the 3rd movie:

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Bruce
    @jpklis:

Liking Godfather to me is similar to liking Zeppelin; they're cliche answers to the "What are the best blank?" 
    Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Alphazero
    @Bruce said:
    " @jpklis:

Liking Godfather to me is similar to liking Zeppelin; they're cliche answers to the "What are the best blank?"  "

It's cliche for a reason, though. Godfather Part 2 is one of the best movies ever made. Ever. In the history of ever.

Godfather Part 3 never happened, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Peloquin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Peloquin
    @fillmoejoe said:
    " Best part of the 3rd movie:

"
    Yeah this scene (and what happens directly after this moment) is what part 3 is all about and why it's worth the watch. An aging Michael Corleone confronting the sins of the past. He's lost all hope for any salvation of his own soul and only seeks desperately to free his family from the horrors of his past and the world he has built. The 'weight' of the film comes from his eventual understanding that in order to free his family he has to go all the way and free himself. To find a way to forgive himself and Al Pacino nails that depth and conflict. It's just such a shame that all the peripheral goings on in the movie seem...almost pointless. But then again it's there to demonstrate what his legacy ends up being, the face of the world he created.
    JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JazzyJeff

I think Godfather 3 is pretty good, and worth a viewing. Beware of Sofia Coppola's acting though.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai
    @jpklis: Even though Godfather 3 is not the masterpiece that first two were, its still a very good watch. It kinda in a way closes that story arch and goes back to the beginning (in a way). Its almost a mirror story of "Michael Corleone"  but in the third one Michael is looking at it from the side and he sees him self from another view. Its like watching your child grows and going through the almost same events that shaped you. Just watch it with an open mid, if you go and watch and expect a shitty movie then you'll get a shitty movie. 
    randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By randiolo

may is suggest watchin it on bluray. my mind was blown away with the sound and picture quality, probably better than when it was at the movies. compared to 1-2, no3 is a let down but to watch pacino carry the film is a treat so it deserves some respect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.