Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 14, 1984

Based on the popular radio and book series, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is a text-based adventure game, considered by many to be a classic.

any chances of getting a Hitchhiker'sGuide game in the future?

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CharleyTony

anybody listened to the radio play ? read the books or maybe "enjoyed" the movie ? 

could they make a new game with this IP or is it almost impossible ?  

I guess the old game that came from the auther could be evidence that this is really hard to pull off.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Douglas Adams, the creator of Hitchhiker's Guide, died several years ago.  Whoever owns the rights to his work now would have to be the one to allow it, and I'm not entirely sure that they would.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Liminality

I really want to read the books after watching the movie, so yes, I enjoyed it. I guess for someone who read the books first must be different.

And I don't think there will be any other game D:

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By blair

Nothing would ever compare to the books.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I've listened to the audio production many times, read the books, watched the movie.  I don't think the market really allows for existing IPs that don't have a concurrent release on a non-gaming medium to be made unless the IP has become very cheap yet still has a very large market (like Ghostbusters) or is already an established gaming IP (like Dragon Ball).  If they make another movie a tie in game is always possible but I'd say it's unlikely even then.

Obviously if a game is made best bet is probably some kind of adventure game like the text adventure original, worst bet is an all out action game, like some of the Hitchhiker movie scenes.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b

Very Very slim, Unless, zooey deschanel and katy perry star in it and make out... 

Wait, No, that would break the cosmos!

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By jonnyboy
    @Blair said:
    " Nothing would ever compare to the books. "
    The BBC adaption was pretty good. They managed some neat stuff on a modest budget.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

Apart from that one game they made years ago I doubt there will be another game based on the The Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy. It's just so hard to translate that into a game, unless it's an adventure game but even then it might miss out on a whole lot. So no I doubt there will be one.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By blackbeard

this sounds like a terrible idea... just saying...

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#10  Edited By Brackynews

Even if Telltale or Traveller's Tales (pantomime Lego Vogons?) nabbed it, I can't imagine it would be a game I could play, only watch.

If you really want to appreciate Adams' game making influence, find a copy of Starship Titanic.  Very under-appreciated title.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By CharleyTony
    @jonnyboy said:
    " @Blair said:
    The BBC adaption was pretty good. They managed some neat stuff on a modest budget. "

I didn't read the books, just saw the movie and heard the BBC audio adaptation. I might be alone on this one but I felt that the type of word play in the material really worked well on the BBC stuff. I don't think I would have gotten all the jokes as easily if I had just read it.  
    Probably due to the fact that English is  a second language to me (But I did enjoy actually reading all those LOTR books in the original english)...
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @jonnyboy said:
    " @Blair said:
    The BBC adaption was pretty good. They managed some neat stuff on a modest budget.
    The BBC radio program came first, the books were based on the radio show.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By jonnyboy
    @Diamond said:
    " @jonnyboy said:
    " @Blair said:
    The BBC radio program came first, the books were based on the radio show. "
    Yeah I know but I never heard the radio show. I was just saying how as a kid I would watch the BBC TV adaption that they did every week with my parents and be thoroughly amazed. I was even more amazed a few year back when I found out the all of the nifty on screen representations of the guides graphics were done optically with black card and transparent 'gels' (colour tints for stage lights).
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ApertureSilence

The old Hitchhiker's text adventure was an amazing (though terribly difficult and unfair) game. In the very early 2000s, I remember reading about a new Hitchhiker's adventure game being in the works, and even saw a few screenshots. It looked pretty dang good. Of course after the initial preview, I never ever heard about it again. 

I still think Hitchhiker's could be turned into a terrific adventure game. Seems very well-suited for an episodic format even, what with the way the radio series was structured. Telltale take note!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

Damn, the dude died at the age of 49... I'll be 45 soon. Damn, a life lived playing video games, now I'm depressed.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @jonnyboy said:

" @Diamond said:

" @jonnyboy said:
    " @Blair said:
    The BBC radio program came first, the books were based on the radio show. "
    Yeah I know but I never heard the radio show. I was just saying how as a kid I would watch the BBC TV adaption that they did every week with my parents and be thoroughly amazed. I was even more amazed a few year back when I found out the all of the nifty on screen representations of the guides graphics were done optically with black card and transparent 'gels' (colour tints for stage lights). "
    The best thing was that in 2004 the BBC digitally rebroadcast the entire radio series, cleaned them up and improved their quality and even did a third series which covered "So Long and Thanks for All The Fish" with all original voice cast and plenty of incredible cameos.  They called them The Primary Phase, Tertiary Phase and the new material was The Quandary Phase.  They were even broadcast from their webs site in Windows Media Audio 5.1.  It was an amazing experience listening to Adams' favourite works being read by the orginal cast and longtime famous fans (cameos) in Dolby AC3 5.1.  I cried more than once I can tell you.  The BBC have even said they're going to broadcast the series again and I hope they do.  In any case you can buy them.

As for the TV series, most of the effects were done in the same studio and by the majority of the same technicians who worked on Doctor Who.  Douglas Adams even wrote a 4 part story for Doctor Who while he was completing production on the first Hitchhiker's Guide radio serial.

I'm a huge fan of the man and all his collected works.  He was an extremely insightful person - he basically described electronic music software well before it became a commercial reality in his book, "Dirk Gently's Whollistic Detective Agency".  Meanwhile Starship Titanic was one the first large scale multimedia projects of its type.  Most before had been done by small teams on miniscule budgets.  It wasn't a perfect game by any means, but it was a grand adventure.
    Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Nick

I'd like to see Telltale make an adventure game.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sjupp
    @Blair said:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.