Does anyone have the platinum trophies for these games?

#1 Edited by SomberOwl (628 posts) -

These two games are free on PS+ and I'm thinking about getting them.

Was wondering if anyone has the platinum trophies for these games and if they are real difficult or tedious?

#2 Posted by Zeik (2188 posts) -

Would you not play them if they were?

#3 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (720 posts) -

The platinum trophies require things like beating Ico in under X number of hours, so it could be tedious, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not playing these games. They have their flaws, but they provide some pretty unique and powerful experiences.

#4 Edited by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

Guy on this site (Spankingaddict) has the Ico platinum. Ico seems tough but doable. SOTC is just ridiculous. I have neither.

#5 Edited by Nightriff (4862 posts) -

Both are pretty hard to get but both games are worth playing at least once.

#6 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

I have both games, but I only got about 13 trophies, so nope, not platinum. You know, I find those games super relaxing in those longer days when nothing is going on.

#7 Edited by HatKing (5768 posts) -

Wait. Shadow of The Colossus is a great fucking game. It's free. At least grab that. I've never played Ico, but it's significant enough a release to at least have for free.

It's weird to me that people still care about Achievements/Trophies in 2014, but to each their own. I can't comment on how easy those are to grab. But if they're time related then you're really missing the point of Colossus. That game is meant to be savored and enjoyed. Like a fine wine. I'm only kind of joking here.

Edit: And, if you weren't aware, you can always click 'download' on them, then cancel. That registers you as having purchased them, and you don't have to have them on your system right that moment. I make sure I do that with all the free releases. Whenever I get a Vita I'll have a helluva backlog to play.

#8 Edited by e30bmw (356 posts) -
#9 Posted by SunBroZak (979 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus's platinum is a pain in the ass to get. You're tasked with defeating the enemies in the game under very strict time constraints. I was never able to achieve the platinum.

ICO, on the other hand, is easier. You may end up playing through the game several times in order to acquire it, though.

#10 Posted by SomberOwl (628 posts) -

Yeah I've been looking at this and Shadow seems a bit intimidating, thats why I was wondering if any one on GB has gotten the platinum for it.

@hatking said:

Wait. Shadow of The Colossus is a great fucking game. It's free. At least grab that. I've never played Ico, but it's significant enough a release to at least have for free.

It's weird to me that people still care about Achievements/Trophies in 2014, but to each their own. I can't comment on how easy those are to grab. But if they're time related then you're really missing the point of Colossus. That game is meant to be savored and enjoyed. Like a fine wine. I'm only kind of joking here.

Edit: And, if you weren't aware, you can always click 'download' on them, then cancel. That registers you as having purchased them, and you don't have to have them on your system right that moment. I make sure I do that with all the free releases. Whenever I get a Vita I'll have a helluva backlog to play.

Yeah I know there great games and will probably get them regardless, it's just sometimes I like getting %100 percent in some games. Just to be the guy thats says "Yeah I went through that tedious shit" lol. I stopped caring about achievements now cause I think Xbox has just sort of ruined the whole thing but I wont get into it. I still like the Playstation system where they're not trivializing the trophies. It's nice to see the Platinum trophies I think.

Also I understand about the fine wine comment. I'm not the sort of person who will play a game just to get the trophies. I will play a game through without it in my mind to enjoy it first. Then if I feel compelled to go back and get the trophies I'll do so. I know what you mean though, I have some friends who would purchase absolute garbage for the 360 just because the game had easy achievements that could be done quickly.

I didn't mean to come off as that type of person, I really want to emphasize this lol.

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (4996 posts) -

Shadow's is a nightmare because of the time trial stuff. I got all of the special items in the PS2 version, but gave up very, very quickly on the PS3 version. I think I remember reading that they're harder to do on the PS3 for one reason or another.

#12 Posted by HatKing (5768 posts) -

@somberowl: Fair enough! Well, I can say from experience then, that Colossus is worth grabbing. I still haven't played the HD version, other than the first fight, I think. But I've been meaning to go back to it.

#13 Edited by Beforet (2911 posts) -

They're fairly tedious from what I remember. I got some of the worst, but I couldn't handle the time trials and the stamina bar ones. Too many playthroughs required. I got the plat for Ico though; be warned, there's a speed run involved. Still great games, though, and you should absolutely play them for free.

#14 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

@gunstarred: I gather there was a bug that you could exploit to make it easier in the PS2 version and that got fixed (though it was still difficult). Ico is pretty easy, Shadow of the Colossus isn't on the platinum front;

#15 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

Nope. This reminds me that I still need to play Shadow of the Colossus.

#16 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1426 posts) -

I have the ICO one, the speedrun trophy made me curse this otherwise beautifully serene game, but watching another run on youtube helped picking up a few tricks to get through several passages much faster. The last 15-20 minutes don't have any save points though which can get rather thrilling. Whatever you do, you should probably play both games without trophies in mind before you attempt any platinum.

#17 Posted by Random45 (995 posts) -

@somberowl:

I was going for platinum in Shadow of the Colossus, but even with the item that shows you where everything is, the Lizard collecting one is a HUGE pain in the ass, and I just gave up on it.

Aside from the collecting lizard one, the rest aren't too bad, and are either very straight forward, or require a guide so you know where to actually go to do them.

I can't speak for ICO, because I honestly don't care much for that game.

#18 Edited by handlas (2636 posts) -

Why subject yourself to this crap? To not play a great game because the achievements/trophies are hard.

I often think I'm going to platinum or get all the achievements in games I really like and think that will put me off from buying too many games that I never finish. And then I look at the achievements and majority of the time they are so tedious and make you not enjoy the game in the end that I wise up and don't do it.

I've thought several times about going and getting all the trophies for the Last of Us because I really loved the game and then I look at the trophies and know it will make me end up looking negatively at the game if I were to try to get them because it would be so tedious.

I think it's my old mentality where you would do tedious crap to get cool unlockables in games. Now the unlockable is a little picture of a trophy. No thanks.

#19 Posted by Skyfire543 (649 posts) -

Who gives a fuck about trophies. Both the games are great.

#20 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

I'm just popping in to say that ICO is one of my favorite games ever, in my top ten. Shadow is also fucking amazing, too.

#21 Posted by SomberOwl (628 posts) -

I have the ICO one, the speedrun trophy made me curse this otherwise beautifully serene game, but watching another run on youtube helped picking up a few tricks to get through several passages much faster. The last 15-20 minutes don't have any save points though which can get rather thrilling. Whatever you do, you should probably play both games without trophies in mind before you attempt any platinum.

Yeah this is what I plane to do. After my first play through I'll go for the trophies.

@random45 said:

@somberowl:

I was going for platinum in Shadow of the Colossus, but even with the item that shows you where everything is, the Lizard collecting one is a HUGE pain in the ass, and I just gave up on it.

Aside from the collecting lizard one, the rest aren't too bad, and are either very straight forward, or require a guide so you know where to actually go to do them.

I can't speak for ICO, because I honestly don't care much for that game.

Thank you for being one of the only people that didn't just tell me to not subject myself to the trophies and actually answer my question lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.