Jack or Heath???

#1 Posted by Woodtsunami (188 posts) -

Jack nicholson or heath ledger

#2 Posted by Lawliet (28 posts) -

heath FTW

#3 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

Heath portrayed a perfect dark and sadistic Joker. Before him I thought no one else could do the Joker better then Jack.. I'm glad I was wrong

#4 Posted by HavQ (97 posts) -

Jack. For the nine millionth time, Jack.

#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I was one of those guys who thought Jack couldn't be topped. I was wrong and I'm happy I was wrong. Heath was an amazing Joker...I do think his performance (more so the movie) have been overhyped, but it was still great. The rating that The Dark Knight has on IMDB is just ridiculous.

#6 Posted by Falkien (211 posts) -

They did there style of Jokers... and they were good,

#7 Edited by yorro (558 posts) -
Kush said:
"I was one of those guys who thought Jack couldn't be topped. I was wrong and I'm happy I was wrong. Heath was an amazing Joker...I do think his performance (more so the movie) have been overhyped, but it was still great. The rating that The Dark Knight has on IMDB is just ridiculous.
"
Yes it's crazy. Topping The Godfather that is.

Dark Knight No. 1

#8 Posted by Merforga (262 posts) -

Heath's performance owned Jack's.

#9 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Topping a lot of those movies is crazy. I don't even think it's the best movie of 2008, but IMDB members seem to think it's the greatest film of all time!? WTH?

#10 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

Heath, his portrayal was shocking and brilliant.  I didn't think anyone could compare to Jack's interpretation, I was wrong.

#11 Posted by switchit (119 posts) -

Havnt seen the ones with Jack, but Heath had an incredible acting in TDK

#12 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -
Falkien said:
"

"

Exactly what I would say. Burton's Batman films were of a different style than the Christopher Nolan films. Remember that the Tim Burton films were coming off of an era where Batman was a campy TV classic. Therefore Jack took the role and pretty much portrayed him as a messed up clown. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were obviously very dark and more serious films and threw the original origin story out the window in favor for a more intelectual Joker with an intricate plan of corruption and manipulation. While I do think Heath did a better portrayal of him, I don't think it's that fair to compare the two...
#13 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Each joker fit their respective movie style perfectly.

#14 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1701 posts) -

like them both however if I have to pick one i'd say Heath as I prefer my movie villians dark and deranged as opposed to jacks joker who was just funny imo

#15 Posted by HoNgKoNgPh0oEy (1481 posts) -
#16 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

Heath Ledger

#17 Posted by faustyn (615 posts) -

Heath Ledger. finally a good Joker.

#18 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

When I saw Jack as the Joker, I was awe-struck, and was very skeptical of how Ledger would pull the character off. But I guess we know how that turned out.

Heath

#19 Posted by Fax (534 posts) -

I would say Heath had a better performance.

#20 Posted by lordofultima (6247 posts) -

Heath maybe, but I can't really compare their performances. So different.

#21 Posted by Fax (534 posts) -
Kush said:
"I was one of those guys who thought Jack couldn't be topped. I was wrong and I'm happy I was wrong. Heath was an amazing Joker...I do think his performance (more so the movie) have been overhyped, but it was still great. The rating that The Dark Knight has on IMDB is just ridiculous.
"

Never take polls open to the public seriously.
#22 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

Heath, he was the Joker.  Jack was Jack in a Joker costume and makeup.  

#23 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

MattyFTM said:

"Bulldog19892 said:
"I liked Heath's better. Jack Nicholson's performance was just a Nicholson performance (you know, how he's pretty much the same person in all of his movies?). The whole movie was so cheesy and campy, I just thought he was annoying. Heath Ledger created a modernized, deep, disturbing, and ultimately classic character that has become an icon of America's fears and confused morality. Nicholson's Joker was just another Nicholson performance."
But batman is supposed to be cheesy and campy. I much prefer cheesy campy renditions of batman to the dark renditions. Its how batman is supposed to be. That being said, I've got to go with neither, I have to go for Cesar Romero, the joker in the batman 60's TV series."
i liked the original show too, but i'm pretty sure the first batman comics weren't in line with the 60's camp style.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is continued from the other Heath vs. Jack thread. The above poster is exactly right. Batman was never intended to be cheesy or campy. Look it up, the original comics are volumes darker than the later versions where the writers caved to editor pressure and made it incredibly tame. Eventually they brought it back to the original style. The new Batman movies are the way Batman was intended to be in the first place.

MattyFTM said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"I liked Heath's better. Jack Nicholson's performance was just a Nicholson performance (you know, how he's pretty much the same person in all of his movies?). The whole movie was so cheesy and campy, I just thought he was annoying. Heath Ledger created a modernized, deep, disturbing, and ultimately classic character that has become an icon of America's fears and confused morality. Nicholson's Joker was just another Nicholson performance."
But batman is supposed to be cheesy and campy. I much prefer cheesy campy renditions of batman to the dark renditions. Its how batman is supposed to be. That being said, I've got to go with neither, I have to go for Cesar Romero, the joker in the batman 60's TV series."
i liked the original show too, but i'm pretty sure the first batman comics weren't in line with the 60's camp style.
#24 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"Falkien said:
"

"

Exactly what I would say. Burton's Batman films were of a different style than the Christopher Nolan films. Remember that the Tim Burton films were coming off of an era where Batman was a campy TV classic. Therefore Jack took the role and pretty much portrayed him as a messed up clown. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were obviously very dark and more serious films and threw the original origin story out the window in favor for a more intelectual Joker with an intricate plan of corruption and manipulation. While I do think Heath did a better portrayal of him, I don't think it's that fair to compare the two..."
They didn't throw the origin story out the window. What you saw in Batman Begins was the original origin story. That's how Batman became Batman in the comics.
#25 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

Both portrayals are different, Jack portrayed a more humorous kind just like a "clown". Heath on the other hand portrayed a dark, depressed, disturbed anarchist whose main objective was to terrorize and kill no matter what happens and both actors played amazing roles and portrayed the Joker perfectly even though both of them were different from the other.

#26 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I never saw Jack as the Joker, so Heath

#27 Posted by HitNRun (344 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
They didn't throw the origin story out the window. What you saw in Batman Begins was the original origin story. That's how Batman became Batman in the comics."
No, Batman became Batman in the comics sitting in his mansion with a shit-eating grin on his face looking at some bats. But you're right, the Batman Begins story is closer to the original than the Tim Burton films, IMO.

I say Jack was better, just because he fit his movie more. Heath definitely was more impactful as a psych thriller, but it's slightly out of place for the sort of world that was set up in Batman Begins. I'd say to wait for the hype to die down (which will probably take years, and may never happen because of his sudden death) before making a final analysis.
#28 Posted by Fax (534 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"Everyones_A_Critic said:
"Falkien said:
"

"

Exactly what I would say. Burton's Batman films were of a different style than the Christopher Nolan films. Remember that the Tim Burton films were coming off of an era where Batman was a campy TV classic. Therefore Jack took the role and pretty much portrayed him as a messed up clown. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were obviously very dark and more serious films and threw the original origin story out the window in favor for a more intelectual Joker with an intricate plan of corruption and manipulation. While I do think Heath did a better portrayal of him, I don't think it's that fair to compare the two..."
They didn't throw the origin story out the window. What you saw in Batman Begins was the original origin story. That's how Batman became Batman in the comics."
I think he meant the Joker's Orgin but the joker has no spefic orgin he had two orgins in the movie which was a nod to the comic book.
#29 Posted by Dimitris (36 posts) -

you can't compare the two because Jack played the funny joker and heath played the more evil joker. They are two different jokers. can't compare

#30 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Heath, played an equally funny and scary joker. _b

#31 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I loved Jack's performance so much, but Heath played such a different portrayal than his.  Overall, I would say Heath though.

#32 Edited by lord_canti (1512 posts) -

i loved  heaths proformence and its one of the grate portrayals of a psychopath.

but can i just throw a name out there ....

Mark Hamill !!!!!!!!

caption

#33 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

The quality of Nolan's joker came from the script, not from the performance.

Burtons Joker was relatively weak, script-wise. But what Jack Nicholson did with it was, and is amazing.

So Nicholson it is.

#34 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
suneku said:
"Heath portrayed a perfect dark and sadistic Joker. Before him I thought no one else could do the Joker better then Jack.. I'm glad I was wrong
"
this.
#35 Edited by guiseppe (2840 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"The quality of Nolan's joker came from the script, not from the performance.

Burtons Joker was relatively weak, script-wise. But what Jack Nicholson did with it was, and is amazing.

So Nicholson it is."
Took the words out of my mouth. With that said though, I really like the character of the Joker in the new movie.
As for the imdb rating, I feel that The Dark Knight shouldn't even be on the top 250. It was good, but not that good, but then again I didn't care much for the first one either.
#36 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
suneku said:
"Heath portrayed a perfect dark and sadistic Joker. Before him I thought no one else could do the Joker better then Jack.. I'm glad I was wrong
"
I am in the exact same boat. Or was in the exact same boat.
#37 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

Damn, why do you make me choose?! I think I'll have to go with Heath, that was some of the best acting I've ever seen. RIP Heath.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.