The Joker's name

#1 Posted by CarolynP (91 posts) -

Somebody has entered the Joker's name as Jack Napier on this page. While that is indeed his real name in the Tim Burton film, the character doesn't actually have any one consistent "real name" or origin story. I'm in favor of removing Jack Napier from the name field on this page. How about you?

#2 Edited by Met2609 (555 posts) -

I would remove it as his real name and put it as an alias.

*Never mind. You can't do that.*

#3 Posted by TRahe0027 (6 posts) -

I say remove it.

#4 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6289 posts) -

His real name may as well be Heath Ledger!

#5 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

Very true, it's an alias. 

He does have an origin story, he was Red Hood and had a wife and all, then the chemicals destroyed his genetic makeup and froze his face into that lovely smile.
http://www.comicvine.com/joker/29-1702/
there you go.
#6 Posted by Jaconius (145 posts) -

Just bought Killing Joke off of Amazon >_______>

That should help clear up this mystery.

#7 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -
Jaconius said:
"Just bought Killing Joke off of Amazon >_______>

That should help clear up this mystery.
"
Dude. that's the best Joker story ever written.
#8 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I know absolutely nothing about the Joker's origin, but I say remove it. If there is not a consistent real name then he shouldn't have one on the page.

#9 Posted by Fax (534 posts) -

The Joker has so many Origins....

#10 Posted by Fax (534 posts) -

The Joker has so many Origins....

#11 Edited by lord_canti (1504 posts) -

i beleve his real name is mentioned in the animated film mask of phantasm but i cant remember it lol. also i thought the definitive origin was that he was a  gangster  that was chased by the batman and he fell into a bath of chemicals  which turned  his skin white at the pain of it drove him insane or something along these lines  i could be compleately rong  but ive seen or read it somewere

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14354 posts) -

If it is his only real name mentioned in any batman media, it's safe to assume that throughout all batman media this is his real name, they just don't mention it in every batman movie/game/series. If he has multiple real names in different things, then it should be removed.

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

*ugh*

Typically, Jack is the most commonly considered "first name" for the Joker, as you will see in both the first Batman movie and even in Pushback.  However, he has absolutely NO DEFINITIVE name.  The reason that The Killing Joke is always brought up is strictly because it's considered by almost everyone in the comic world to be the best version of The Joker's background...but if The Joker were standing in front of you and you asked him...and he were to be honest with you about it...he would tell you this exact quote, as he has said before:

"Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

Even The Joker doesn't know his real name.  Therefore, I think that his name needs to be removed as a DEFINITE, but can be listed as an alias in some way.
#14 Posted by joey (982 posts) -

RIP HEATH! Long live the riddler!

#15 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"*ugh*
Typically, Jack is the most commonly considered "first name" for the Joker, as you will see in both the first Batman movie and even in Pushback.  However, he has absolutely NO DEFINITIVE name.  The reason that The Killing Joke is always brought up is strictly because it's considered by almost everyone in the comic world to be the best version of The Joker's background...but if The Joker were standing in front of you and you asked him...and he were to be honest with you about it...he would tell you this exact quote, as he has said before:

"Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

Even The Joker doesn't know his real name.  Therefore, I think that his name needs to be removed as a DEFINITE, but can be listed as an alias in some way.
"
Couldn't have said it better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.