Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The King of Fighters 2000

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jul 26, 2000

The seventh installment of SNK's King of Fighters series and the last game they developed before their bankruptcy. It features an expansion of the "Striker" system, including numerous Striker-only characters for additional options.

Was the English version of this really that rare?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By korwin

I'm genuinely curious if anyone else in the GB community/team encountered this game in the wild as it seems to pop up in "rarest games" lists rather frequently. Thing is my local arcade had the English release of this game back in 2001/2002 and it's not like it was a big arcade since it was attached to the cinema in the mall near my college (or 11/12 high school for the US peeps). It seems like KoF had a much larger local scene in my neck of the woods so it blows my mind that I apparently sank waaaaaaaay to much money into one of the rarest releases in existence.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never seen it, though I've only maybe seen 2 KoF machines ever. Most places around here had Vs Capcom or Virtua Fighter.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What's crazier is that we had 2 machines, sit down and back to back Japanese style. We even had a KoF '99 machine in the common room along side an MvC2 machine.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By agentboolen

@korwin: I've seen King of the Fighters at the local bowling alley. I was more of a street fighter, mortal kombat fan to actually be able to remember which version it was. I do remember it did have a fan base playing it though.

SNK was a strange developer, they had good stuff but being mostly on there own very expensive system the Neo Geo most people only casually got into there stuff.

I think I would have been a bigger fan of there's if the Metal Slug games came to the snes, otherwards I saw them as the rich kids game company. I respect them but i think they made bad choices that kept them from getting really big.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.