Neo Geo KoF '98 Coming to Wii U eShop

#1 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

The game is pencilled in for a release in Japan sometime in October, but no exact date is given. By the time it's out here it should be on the new platforms eShop.

http://www.vc-neogeo.d4e.co.jp/

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

This would be interesting news... was KOF '98 not already on XBLA.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

Did they confirm that all The WiiWare and Wii VC games are going to be on the eShop Day 1?

#4 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Yes, but not this version of the game.

@JJOR64 said:

Did they confirm that all The WiiWare and Wii VC games are going to be on the eShop Day 1?

No. The games however are required to be there for Wii - Wii U system transfers.

I'm hearing you'll get reward points for games you've already bought on Wii Shop. I'm going to make a ton of points.....

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

The Neo Geo version is totally included as part of KOF 98 Ultimate Match.

#6 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

!t has a "Neo Geo Mode" replicating the original. Who cares anyway, what does it have to do with this?

All Neo Geo games on Wii have perfect emulation / the Wii version is not a reworked port of the Dreamcast game, which is exactly what the 360 version is.

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

!t has a "Neo Geo Mode" replicating the original. Who cares anyway, what does it have to do with this?

All Neo Geo games on Wii have perfect emulation / the Wii version is not a reworked port of the Dreamcast game, which is exactly what the 360 version is.

And this matters because...?

If anyone cares about such subtleties, they own a Neo Geo.

#8 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Because those buying Virtual Console games want pristine perfect versions - games as they once were. The modern 360 version you speak of has numerous well documented issues. K?

#9 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Because those buying Virtual Console games want pristine perfect versions - games as they once were. The modern 360 version you speak of has numerous well documented issues. K?

I like that you edited in "K?". But I digress. I just don't see the venn-diagram overlapping for people who want a perfectly emulated version of KOF '98 and people who don't already own it in its original form or emulated through something like MAME. Hell, wasn't it released on disk for the Wii with the rest of the Orochi Saga games?

#10 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

Whoopty doo.

#11 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

I like that you edited in "K?". But I digress. I just don't see the venn-diagram overlapping for people who want a perfectly emulated version of KOF '98 and people who don't already own it in its original form or emulated through something like MAME. Hell, wasn't it released on disk for the Wii with the rest of the Orochi Saga games?

I know of many SNK fans who buy various versions of the classics, we have a thread dedicated to it on Neo Geo.com. This fan already owns it on Neo Geo, Wii disc as part of the OS collection you mention, despite that, this fan will still buy this version because of it's ease of use and integrity. I personally find it very handy having such fighting games on my Wii Channel screen ready to play at the click of a button when friends are over.

I already own a similar selection of Samurai Shodown's also: Neo Geo v's, Wii compliation v's and individual VC games. Fans of Neo Geo tend to be in their 30's and have disposal incomes to spend on SNK Neo Geo wares. Hope that clears everything up for you :)

edit:

Correction: The KoF '98 on XBLA is based off the PS2 version, not the Dreamcast version.

#12 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

I know many SNK fans buy various versions of the classics, we have a thread dedicated to it on Neo Geo.com. This fan already owns it on Neo Geo, Wii disc as part of the OS collection you mention, despite that, this fan will still buy this because of it's ease of use and integrity.

I peronally find it very handy having such fighting games on my Wii Channel screen ready to play at the click of a button when friends are over. I already own the the similar selection of Samurai Shodown's - Neo Geo v's, Wii compliation v's, individual VC games. Hope that clears everything up for you :)

Haha. This is just painful to watch. But I can't look away....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.