Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The King of Fighters XII

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 10, 2009

The twelfth main installment of the tag-team fighting game series features a complete overhaul of the series' 2D graphics, with the first major overhaul of the series' character sprites in 13 years.

Right now, this is a $60 paperweight.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I love the gameplay and all, but with crappy AI and no one to play with locally, this game ended up collecting dust a lot quicker than I thought it would. Anyone else out there sorely disappointed with their purchase right now?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

my friend was really upset about it. He moved on to Blazblue and SF4

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Akeldama: I'm sticking to BlazBlue. Honestly, I'd return the game, but my brother and little sister are obsessed with it for some reason (yet they don't play it).
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akeldama
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @Akeldama: I'm sticking to BlazBlue. Honestly, I'd return the game, but my brother and little sister are obsessed with it for some reason (yet they don't play it). "
    thats unfortunate. Im sure it would fetch some cash back as a return.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Akeldama: Yeah, hopefully everything'll be fixed soon. I WANT to like this game, but it won't let me.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Damn, this game had great potential. It's too bad the game sounds "meh".

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @ParanoidFreak: Well, the dilemma is that the game, at its core, is absolutely fantastic. They finally made King of Fighters accessible to those who've struggled with it before (at the expense of enraging fans who miss certain characters, moves, etc.). The problem that cuts all that away is the fact that it's put together in some of the worst ways possible.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

I hope everything gets fixed before it's release here next month, otherwise I'll hold off buying it straight away.

If I had the game now,  I would be sending e-mail complaints to Ignition and the US office at Playmore.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    (I have every other post in this topic, this should've been a blog post.)

@Linkyshinks:
    I know Ignition is putting the screws to SNK Playmore right now. I just hope the developers can swallow their pride and acknowledge that the product they put out is absolutely unacceptable. Right now, the publishers even posted a list of demands that they want SNKP to incorporate ASAP.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akeldama
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @Akeldama: Yeah, hopefully everything'll be fixed soon. I WANT to like this game, but it won't let me. "
    felt the exact same way about Prototype.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Milkman

As ridiculous as it is to ship the game with the online completely busted, there's nothing to do except wait it out. I'm sure it won't be too long.

Zlatko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Zlatko

It's the worst fighting game in many years and absolutely the worst in the KoF franchise as it stands. Even when the online gets fixed(if it ever does) it'll still be a bare bones fighting game that won't have the same online lasting appeal as something like Blazblue or SF4 have set out and accomplished this year.

There's a reason SNK has been on the verge of bankruptcy---They don't know how to make a good videogame. Time for them to throw in the towel.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BradBrains

i dont hate it as much as many but yea online is a bummer cause this was gonna be the game i got good at and played online but obviously ill have to find something else to do untill its patched. and blzblue just doesn't look like too muhc fun for me

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godwind
    @Zlatko said:
    " It's the worst fighting game in many years and absolutely the worst in the KoF franchise as it stands. "
    What happened to Dragonball Evolution.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImpendingFoil

With no story mode or even a final boss this is by far the worse KoF game ever made.  Also the online is just terrible compared to SFIV and especially BlazBlue.  I was really excited for this game, which became turned to disappointment instantly.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @ImpendingFoil: Would you say the gameplay itself is the worst in the KoF series?
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ImpendingFoil

@Sleepy_Insomniac:

I will say that for a fighting game, KoF12 does not use a terrible system.  However the system in my opinion pales in comparison to KoF games in the past.  The game just does not totally feel like a KoF.  The roster having only about 22 characters, which is still a lot compared to SFIV and BlazBlue but very low for a KoF, just does not feel all that special.  Also I'm not a fan of the critical counter system is nothing great and the guard attacks just seem like a cheap gimmick.  So while not being an absolutely terrible game, KoF12 is by far the weakest fighting game put out in the past year.  I know the developers wanted to make this game more accessible to the masses, but by doing so they probably alienated all the fans.

Also the online mode is a joke and feels like it was just hammered on.  But it seems like the online mode is purely what they are marketing this game for since there is no story mode or even a final boss fight.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Brake

It's too bad. This was gonna be my secondary fighting game (SF4 being the primary), but since they've apparently F'd it up this bad I'm not sure I'll ever buy this. I was holding out on Blazblue since it seemed a little more complex and hard to get into and KoF on the other hand seemed a little more accesible. Now I'm "settlng" for BB.

Also, looking at some of those demands Sleepy_Insomniac linked to in the post above...how in the hell do you leave out such no brainers as quitting out of online matches, kicking players or canceling out of the select screen?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

If anyone is on the fence about the gameplay itself, it's definitely KOF and nothing less.
    Still four jumps, still rolling in both directions. CD moves can now be charged to make the other guy crumple, and you can also combo into your CD attacks, which makes the opponent fly and leads to really nasty corner combos. Back+CD does a quick counter good for jump-ins and the like.
    Yes, some characters have been changed completely. Iori is a good example of this, but I think it's for the better. How long have we had the same damn Iori? Since 1996, folks.

My opinion? Great fighting game, crappy video game.
    Find some people online with yellow colored connections and you won't have any lag at all, though.

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I bit the bullet and bought it today. Had a blast with it. Then again I did call my girl over and my brother got over his prejudicial hate for it and played it. It's a great game, but it is lacking. I wish every fighting game would come with tutorial stuff like BlazBlue did.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm

I want this game now. I am going to use this game to practice, and when King Of Fighters XIII comes out, I WILL DOMINATE.

doctorkaneder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By doctorkaneder

The problem with there being so many red connection bars, whether they are being truthful in display or not, is that you cannot back out of watching a fight. So if someone is up to play and they have some extreme lag, not only do you have to watch it happen, but you need to stick around until it's over so you can get your chance to back out of the room. This causes me, and problably a lot of other people, to not even bother with rooms that are populated by red bar players. I enjoy this game when it works, don't get me wrong... but with no real AI (I can leg sweep all 5 matches of Arcade Mode on Hard), and since I don't have that many people to play with locally, sadly, Online is what I really wanted out of this, so it's a bummer that it doesn't include some of the smart decisions a game like SF4 made. Your best bet, at the moment, is to pick TrueSkill ranked matches, and agree on Entry with only a yellow bar connection. I got some really awesome fights/replays out of doing this. At the moment, though, this is all that the game has going on for it. There aren't enough people that want to even stick around to try a Team game.

I'm not returning this game, but I cannot recommend it to anyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.