Anyone want to play this?

#1 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

Just curious if any PS+ subscribers that are particularly terrible at fighting games want to try some player matches of this. Haven't played a fighting game competitively in like 10 years but I do enjoy messing around against the comp from time to time (especially in the case of MK9). I'll probably just use the characters I'm most familiar with from my brief time with KoF XI a month ago; King, Terry, and Robert; who are all pretty overpowered naturally; though King is less so than she was in XI and Terry is neutered from being an immortal mastermind. Rob seems to be actually beefed up.

In general it seems like this is a much easier game to get into than XI would be; inputs are read really easily and sometimes you just randomly do supercancels when you're not even trying to; so that's nice. I was kind of used to all of the difficult inputs in the previous game so it feels weird being able to do everything (at least everything that's straightforward) on command with very few screwups. The boss of Arcade mode is cheap but not even close to as cheap as Magaki.

PSN: Valgresas

#2 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

I'm pretty bad, as was proven to me in my first match online, after being matched against a level 30 player.

I'll practice with you, but my King is pretty deadly. She's as far as I can tell the closest to my SFIII main, Elena.

#3 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

I've been having trouble just getting into a Ranked match, believe my NAT is classified as moderate if that's a no go (as determined by the all knowing Assassin's Creed Revelations). I've never had any issue in any other online game but if the netcode is bad then your connection has to be virtually perfect so they say. I'm at least good against the computer! King is extremely simple since almost every move is a kick, I believe she wasn't able to fire fireballs in the air before but the range on the dragon punch kick combo of doom is now tiny and her LDR/Neo Max ultimate barbeque hacks is much worse than it was before (seems like one of the worst in the game even). Robert seems to be kind of insane, so many useful moves, ranged super, decent LDR; I'm so used to just having my finger over HK though, nothing but HK.

Terry was kind of crazy overpowered in the last game I played so it's sad that he's now limited to being semi-mortal; curse you normalized damage across all fighters! RIP Power Dunk.

#4 Posted by Carryboy (735 posts) -

Unfortunately the netcode for this game is damn right terrible and makes the game unplayable online, shame cos this game is awesome.

#5 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

@Carryboy said:

Unfortunately the netcode for this game is damn right terrible and makes the game unplayable online, shame cos this game is awesome.

I thought that was an issue with 12, did they not fix it for 13?

#6 Posted by Stefanten (58 posts) -

@psylah: Nope. I wonder when these companies will figure out how many sales they're losing because of their bad netcode.

#7 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Im pretty sure it is really had to make good fighting game netcode. You can't cheese it like with a shooter.

#8 Posted by Stefanten (58 posts) -

@scarace360: It's a matter of prioritization. They need to start developing games with good netcode in them from the ground-up, but sadly not all these companies realize this.

#9 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

Anecdotally the best easy to do King combo seems to be Down Forward HK, Trap Shot, then either drive cancel into a fireball or super cancel into the double fireball. The forward movement from the slide eliminates the range disadvantage that Trap Shot has.

#10 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Stefanten said:

@scarace360: It's a matter of prioritization. They need to start developing games with good netcode in them from the ground-up, but sadly not all these companies realize this.

Im pretty sure alot of them have figured that out.

#11 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -
#12 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

@rebgav: Onoes the bump, I'd still be interested in playing this on PS3 though; always had a decent amount of fun/still have fun fighting the very hard comp. It is kind of depressing how ridiculously awesome Terry Bogard is in some other KoF renditions compared to his non power dunking self in KoF XIII though.

#13 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

Nah Terry in 13 is good. His drive combos are good.

#14 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

@thephantomnaut: He's okay; never liked the HD combo system regardless (which is why XI is superior in most regards). In Maximum Impact 2 he has literally 4 times as many moves for example; basically every single dragon punch or fireball forwards and backwards kick or punch does something different; pretty spiffy stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.