Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The King of Fighters

Franchise »

The King of Fighters began as a crossover fighter featuring SNK's Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury series, but has since become the company's flagship franchise.

Which game to start on?

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So there is a deal on 360 currently that has a few SNK games for sale. I'm a fan of street fighter and enjoyed injustice quite a bit. I'm looking to try a new fighting game to try out really, so anybody got any ideas which would be best to get? A KOF game or maybe another SNK game?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What's available?

KOFXIII is the most recent, it's a fantastic game and it looks gorgeous. If you want to skew older, I think 98 is maybe the favourite of the older KOFs, 2002 is up there as well, I thiiink. I can't remember if either of those came out on 360 or not...

As for other SNK stuff, there's Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, which is super good and I'm pretty certain that DID get an XBLA release. Samurai Shodown II is also a classic, if that's available.

If you don't actually have any history with any of the games, the question of which to start with is a difficult one... SNK fighters are generally a little less accessible than their Capcom counterparts, but they're really enjoyable once you crack them open a bit.

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: Well they've got XIII on offer, Garou and Samurai Shodown II. They're all pretty cheap and i figured it would be good to get into a few more fighting games instead of just sticking to my street fighter guns

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: Well they've got XIII on offer, Garou and Samurai Shodown II. They're all pretty cheap and i figured it would be good to get into a few more fighting games instead of just sticking to my street fighter guns

If its out of those three games you mentioned I think Garou is best. I actually prefer both Garou and Sam Sho 2 over XIII as far as gameplay goes.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By damodar

@counterclockwork87: Plus the US version has a character called Butt, so it has that going for it.

Since KOF 98 and 02 have both released on steam in the last couple of months, I really hope they keep going down that road and put Garou and SamSho 2 on steam. I want to be involved in the troubles.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

98, 02, and 13 are all great as stand alone games, but if you want to get into the true craziness of KoF, you should get the Orochi Saga, which collects 94-98. It's available on PS2, PSP, and you can download it on Vita if you happen to have access to any of those systems and are used to older fighters. Otherwise you should probably just go with 13.

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scrappypixels

I think I'll jump into XIII probably best to try and stay with the most updated version if I'm trying to get into a new fighting game. I still don't actually own the last mortal kombat game that was my other option. Or another 2d fighter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.