Today's Bummer News: The Last Guardian, Team ICO HD Collection Delayed

• 79 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

When appointments to see Team ICO's The Last Guardian at the Game Developers Conference this year were cancelled without warning, maybe we should have seen this coming: The Last Guardian and HD releases of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, bundled into a collection, have been delayed. Neither game will be hitting in their respective release windows of winter and spring 2011. Even worse: a new release window hasn’t been set.

This news comes via a posting on the official PS blog, which also carried a message from Team ICO’s game director, Fumito Ueda, amounting to “sorry about the delay, but we need more time for polish.”

That's not all he said, though.     
== TEASER ==

I announced at last year’s Tokyo Game Show that the release timing of The Last Guardian, which is currently being developed, would be holiday 2011. However, to provide more challenging and better quality of content to users and to fulfill First Party Studio’s obligations, I decided to postpone its release timing.

All the members of my production team are working together at a fast pace to develop and release the game in First Party Studio quality. I sincerely apologize to all the customers who have been waiting for The Last Guardian for so long, but I beg for your patience. I will also announce the new release timing at a later time.

Will we something new at E3 2011 in June? The Last Guardian first debuted at E3 2009, following the unexpected leaking of an early trailer on a gaming site. The footage shown at E3 2009 was similar but more polished. The game did not show up at E3 2010, but at TGS 2010, the game was given its now-defunct "winter 2011" launch window. Ueda said the game didn’t make it to E3 because his studio had changed its production processes--a move that I wonder is still proving to be troublesome here, as well.

The Last Guardian and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus: The Collection are PS3-exclusives. 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

When appointments to see Team ICO's The Last Guardian at the Game Developers Conference this year were cancelled without warning, maybe we should have seen this coming: The Last Guardian and HD releases of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, bundled into a collection, have been delayed. Neither game will be hitting in their respective release windows of winter and spring 2011. Even worse: a new release window hasn’t been set.

This news comes via a posting on the official PS blog, which also carried a message from Team ICO’s game director, Fumito Ueda, amounting to “sorry about the delay, but we need more time for polish.”

That's not all he said, though.     
== TEASER ==

I announced at last year’s Tokyo Game Show that the release timing of The Last Guardian, which is currently being developed, would be holiday 2011. However, to provide more challenging and better quality of content to users and to fulfill First Party Studio’s obligations, I decided to postpone its release timing.

All the members of my production team are working together at a fast pace to develop and release the game in First Party Studio quality. I sincerely apologize to all the customers who have been waiting for The Last Guardian for so long, but I beg for your patience. I will also announce the new release timing at a later time.

Will we something new at E3 2011 in June? The Last Guardian first debuted at E3 2009, following the unexpected leaking of an early trailer on a gaming site. The footage shown at E3 2009 was similar but more polished. The game did not show up at E3 2010, but at TGS 2010, the game was given its now-defunct "winter 2011" launch window. Ueda said the game didn’t make it to E3 because his studio had changed its production processes--a move that I wonder is still proving to be troublesome here, as well.

The Last Guardian and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus: The Collection are PS3-exclusives. 
#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -

:(

#3 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Not really surprised, not too sad either...

#4 Posted by spankingaddict (2670 posts) -

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Posted by TurboMan (7537 posts) -

#6 Posted by RustySpoon (143 posts) -

Is anyone actually surprised?

#7 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I'm just surprised we're hearing ANYTHING about it.

#8 Posted by error5305 (277 posts) -

That really sucks. As long as it doesn't come out the same quarter as Skyrim, then I will be forced to make a tough decision.

#9 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

shocking

#10 Posted by TadThuggish (907 posts) -

The Last Guardian will come out after the PS4 launches, creating one of those Kirby's Dream Land 3 situations where it's really good but everyone moved on to the next generation.

#11 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

This is truly the countdown to tears.

#12 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -

I understand delaying the new game, but how is it so difficult to get a couple of PS2 games running and slap them on a blu-ray. I'm way more interested in playing Shadow of the Colossus at a decent frame rate than I am in Last Guardian.

#13 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Bummer indeed.

#14 Posted by nick_verissimo (1385 posts) -

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH !

#15 Posted by RampageAssassin (426 posts) -

I have no idea why the collection wouldn't be out this year. Well let me put it this way .... It better be out this year.

#16 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@Cameron said:
" I understand delaying the new game, but how is it so difficult to get a couple of PS2 games running and slap them on a blu-ray. I'm way more interested in playing Shadow of the Colossus at a decent frame rate than I am in Last Guardian. "
I assume they want them to ship close to each other to help increase sales of LG.
#17 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

I'm gonna predict Fall 2013 as the actual release window.  Any other predictions?

#18 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

Not surprised at all. Those guys like to take their time making games.

#19 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I'm somehow way more bummed about the delay of the HD collection than The Last Guardian.
#20 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

I'm starting to think that The Last Guardian doesn't really exist.

#21 Posted by Bollard (5527 posts) -

That's a real shame, but good on Team ICO for wanting to get it right. SotC was a masterpiece and I don't wanna see it messed up - and here's hoping they can deliver with The Last Guardian!

#22 Posted by wonderhare (350 posts) -

Aaaaw maaaaan. :(

#23 Edited by EndlessObsidian (475 posts) -

This video is EXACTLY how I feel right now.  

I would jump into the pit of Mount Doom if that meant I could play the Last Guardian. 
#24 Posted by Potter9156 (941 posts) -

Vaporware.

#25 Posted by MJHAYLETT (440 posts) -

this is a huge bummer for me as I would have bought The Last Guardian before any other game coming out in November. ANY GAME. Maybe they are delaying it to get out of the Xmas Rush? Here is hoping for a Jan 2012 release.

#26 Posted by Brenderous (1101 posts) -

WHY

#27 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@RustySpoon said:
" Is anyone actually surprised? "
Last Guardian? Hell no.
Ico/Colossus collection? Yes.
#28 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Crap, that really sucks.

#29 Posted by swamplord666 (1760 posts) -

Noooooo!!!! That was the one game I wanted desperately this year :( 

#30 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

Fuck!

#31 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -

...Im alright with this.

#32 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

I've just read the title and I'm going to say NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#33 Posted by NissanSkyline (106 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#34 Posted by papercut (3493 posts) -

Everyone panic and start killing yourselves!

#35 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

If it makes the game better, they can take all the time  that they need.

As for the Ico x Shadow release, that's weird. Looking forward to that too though.
#36 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Sucks to hear that it's not coming out anytime soon, but I'm willing to cut them some slack. I'd rather they delay the game and get it right.

#37 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -
@mosdl:

Maybe, but that will only work on people who are already interested in The Last Guardian. Presumably the average consumer has no idea that ICO and SotC are made by the same developer, if they even know what those games are. Releasing a few months before The Last Guardian shouldn't hurt either product. The only way I can see the delay of the compilation making sense is if this is a big delay of The Last Guardian. Like a holiday 2012 kind of delay.
#38 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

I'm fine with it, as long as The Last Guardian manages to be at least half as good as Shadow of the Colossus when it comes out.

#39 Posted by vpcwiu (35 posts) -

These games have been delayed so they can finish rendering 1000 more cars in photorealistic detail.

#40 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

Well, that sucks. But it would suck moreso to play a rushed game. I can deal with this.

#41 Posted by Siphillis (1292 posts) -

Well, at least The Last Guardian will continue to dominate GameTrailers' "Most Anticipated Games" list for the foreseeable future.

#42 Posted by Kaigan (279 posts) -

I bet no one saw this coming.

No one.

#43 Posted by drew327 (584 posts) -

Take your time

#44 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

I guess I'll just dust off my PS2 and play Shadow of the Colossus again while I wait.

#45 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -

I am sad now, but it's best for them to take their time and make it perfect. It will be worth the wait.

#46 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

Can't believe people are actually shocked by the delay of the Last Guardian, saw that one coming last year. Unfortunately the Ico/SotC collection is delayed as well and i was looking forward to playing Shadow of the Colossus again. Oh well Sony had plenty of first party titels this fall, this is good news for Microsoft!

#47 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

My fingers are crossed that Last Guardian will release before the end of the PS3 life cycle

#48 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Upcoming PS4 confirmed?

#49 Edited by RuneHammer (64 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! The one game I desperately wanted, but if it means the game is better for it, I'm happy... in due time.

#50 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

Unfortunate, but I'm a patient person.

I'll just have to make sure to stay alive that much longer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.