100 Things You've Learned Playing The Last of Us Multiplayer

#1 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -
  1. Upgrading a weapon first is beneficial, because it always carries over to the next round - whilst Body Armor is subject to wear and tear.
  2. Never wander alone.
  3. Crafter 2/3 is extremely beneficial to your supply per minute ratio. Every gift is worth 100 salvage (up to 120 with Collector 2). Easy income to quickly upgrade your gear and resupply ammo and armor.
  4. Bonus objectives get more demanding each time they're selected. Do more exotic ones first, and save the ones that come naturally for last - to maximize new recruitments and minimize losses in the final few weeks.
  5. Be dynamic. Be aware and adapt to developing situations. Don't stick to a rigid battleplan. As soon as the tension breaks and the fighting begins, make your best move. More often than not, failing to back up your teammates in battle is akin to losing the round.
  6. Stealth is only one of many tactical options, not the only one.
  7. Push R1 to lay a bomb trap.
  8. Push R3 to spot enemies. It's worth 15 salvage. 15+75 (I think), if the spotted enemy gets downed. Extremely effective with Hawkeye 2/3 - especially when good teammates are at hand.
  9. Ammo for Purchased Weapons gets more expensive with each purchase, limiting their viability extremely, and making them a bad investment in my opinion.
  10. Get first aid training 2 and reviver 3 and never lack for parts again.
  11. Ammo IS worth purchasing.
  12. Smokes and shivs work wonders.
  13. It's super friken hard to get your population to 115.
  14. Your team mates are a bunch of dumbasses.
  15. Add azrailx if you wanna play with someone semi competent.
  16. If matched against people far above your rank and experience, equipping a Shorty, following the cocky bastards with listen mode, and popping out right in front of them to unload 2 quick bursts to their smug faces will down even the most hardened vet.
  17. If you rank up enough, people will glow when you announce their pressence. (That's actually just Hawkeye 2/3)
  18. The Last of Us Multiplayer is really fucking good. Better then I ever thought it would be.
  19. Go revolver or go home.
  20. Downtown is a good map that no one ever votes for.
  21. Stealth is overrated.
  22. 3-4 chests > 2 chests.
  23. Upgraded revolver > armored guy trying to punch you.
  24. Dancing in circles instead of punching can get you a shiv.
  25. I've learned that I really don't enjoy multiplayer, and that trophies aren't a good enough reason for me to go back to it. (your loss!)
  26. The Gift Objective is child's play as soon as Crafter 3 is unlocked. I've repeated it 4 times during my last campaign, and I guess I could it even more. 20+ gifts in 3 games is no problem, and it starts out with only 6 required for maximum completion.
  27. The Skull Mask and Green Beret are immesely badass! Will you join the club?
  28. Bombs can kill you through walls and not kill the guy they landed on.
  29. Running 20 meters past a bomb can still result in you getting hit by it.
  30. Molotov's > Everything.
  31. If you don't have a Molotov upgrade a melee weapon and run around like a fool.
  32. Long execution animations will get you killed, just melee or shoot them again.
  33. Molotovs are really easy to avoid, never craft a Molotov or a Bomb as a crafter as it is more efficient ingredients-wise to do smoke/medikit/shank/melee weapon; resulting in more gifts (which could be bombs or molotovs) for your buddies and more points for you.
  34. Brawler 2 is to Combat Prowess what Crafter 3 is to Earning Salvage and Confidental 2+ is to Stealth and Backstabbin'. Do you see the pattern emerge?
  35. It's fun to shoot people in the beginning of survivors with a hunting rifle just once. It's even more fun to watch them look for a medkit right afterwards.
  36. No one ever spots the enemies, only me.
  37. Lay traps near toolboxes, people always rush to the toolboxes and almost never check for bombs. It's very effective!
  38. You can run without showing up on the minimap. Only sprinting lights you up. So outside of hearing your footsteps and the enemy entering listen mode - running is quite stealthy. Certainly stealthy enough for some ballsy flanking manouvers in a chaotic skirmish.
  39. Leaving a game sets you back big time, everyone gets sick and hungry.

40. Plan on challenges to take 100 percent of your camp if you fail, meaning do the hard ones for the less troubling damage to your group. And take the easy tasks for the big raids, keep this in mind from the start.

41. Play as a team, trying to stay with the group as much as you can, even if it means you have to sprint to catch up with the group or the off person that runs ahead... Plan on the enemy always having a group of 4...

42. Supply Raid mode can swing wildly in the favor of whoever is winning as they rack up parts for kills and can stay together longer with armor and upgraded weapons. Meanwhile the team that's dying keeps getting split up.

43. Survivor mode offers a better reset at the end of each round.

44. Both are fun modes, but know what you're getting in to.

45. The Machete is one helluva purchased weapon! Keep upgrading it, and you can use it forever.
  46. Time travel and teleportation is possible in the apocalyptic future.
  47. If you need to pick a challenge you know you can max out easily, pick healing and use a class with First Aid Training 2 or 3, then stick next to any ally. Every second of holding down the healing button nets you 1 heal, so you can easily get upwards of four times the required amount for the third tier in a single match. Easy peasy!
  48. There are some crazy effective methods in this game. Play with a friend, and equip the maximum level of the sharpshooter perk, along with first aid training 2 and reviver. Put all of your money into armour, and when you have extra, buy ammo. This lets you suck up damage easily while not flinching in a firefight, you don't get downed by bombs and you survive 1-hit-down headshots because of the helmet.

If you're losing the match, you can have your buddy shoot from behind cover while you hold x beside him. This continuously heals him while he has armour and almost no gun flinch. With 3 or 4 people, it's game over doing this. You've already won.

The revolver is good enough that you can run around with just it, and equip first aid training 2, crafter 2 etc. This lets you play a support role while still being effective. Only downside is you need to buy ammo a lot.

49. Here's the amount of supplies you need to unlock more loadout points:

9 Points 75/10 Points 525/11 Points 1650/12 Points 3825/13 Points 7500

50. There is currently a very powerful combo/build that I can see getting nerfed in the near future since it's extremely difficult to avoid even if you're prepared. Equip Explosives Expert 2 and Covert Operations 1, then craft smoke bombs. These smoke bombs will have ridiculous stun ranges, extending far past the actual smoke cloud. Then you just run in and Shiv someone in the cloud, maybe melee or shoot another with the Shorty. How wide an area that gets stunned is huge, the only way to avoid it is to run before you even see it in mid air, or before it's thrown. The smoke and Shiv combo is supposed to work, but I think there might be a bug with Explosives Expert 2.
  51. It can be useful to split into groups of 2 early in a match, with the express understanding that you are not to engage unless it's a lone player or an easy down and execute. This way, you can cover two approaches to see how any players are heading in a direction. If you see 2 players, you can back off, lay traps, and head to the other side where you overwhelm the other 2 quickly with 4 people. If it's 4, you can either retreat to better ground, or get their attention while your teammates flank. Throwing smoke grenades can help in this regard as it can conceal your true numbers.
  52. Use upright movement more often (not sprinting), the speed gained from it helps you avoid getting hit while moving in the open. It also lets others better understand when someone isn't using the Covert Operations perks to sneak around.
  53. Can't go wrong with revolver/semi-auto rifle. Both get 3 shots to down(without armor) 5 to down with and shoot reasonably quick.
  54. Being more patient than the other guy pays off in some situations. Waiting for them to pop their sorry heads out of cover gives you the opportunity to line up the first shot.
  55. This one is common sense but when in a shootout with another player aim for the center of their chest. Shots will land and if you're lucky their shot on you may pop your cross hair to their head and BOOM. HEADSHOT.
  56. A tactic that works well for me is to down someone then hide. Wait for there teammates to come and revive them then Molotov or flamethrower there asses. TOASTY!!!

(updating list periodically)

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3906 posts) -

2. Never wander alone.

#3 Posted by azrailx (457 posts) -

10. Get first aid training 2 and reviver 3 and never lack for parts again

11. ammo IS worth purchasing

12. smokes and shivs work wonders

13. Its super friken hard to get your population to 115

#4 Posted by Rasmoss (479 posts) -

#5 Posted by azrailx (457 posts) -

15. add azrailx if you wanna play with someone semi competent

#6 Posted by Kierkegaard (604 posts) -

15. If matched against people far above your rank and experience, equipping a Shorty, following the cocky bastards with listen mode, and popping out right in front of them to unload 2 quick bursts to their smug faces will down even the most hardened vet.

#7 Posted by sawtooth (458 posts) -

16. If you rank up enough, people will glow when you announce their pressence.

#8 Posted by SSully (4326 posts) -

16. The Last of Us Multiplayer is really fucking good. Better then I ever thought it would be.

17. Go revolver or go home

#9 Edited by azrailx (457 posts) -

18. semi auto > burst

#10 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1835 posts) -

19. Shooting someone with in the face with a Shorty at point-blank range isn't as effective as just punching them a couple of times.

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Downtown is a good map that no one ever votes for

Stealth is overrated

3-4 chests > 2 chests

Upgraded revolver > armored guy trying to punch you

Dancing in circles instead of punching can get you a shiv

#12 Posted by SuperCycle (333 posts) -

I've learned that I really don't enjoy multiplayer, and that trophies aren't a good enough reason for me to go back to it.

#13 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

26. The Gift Objective is child's play as soon as Crafter 3 is unlocked. I've repeated it 4 times during my last campaign, and I guess I could have done it even more. 20+ gifts in 3 games is no problem, and it starts out with only 6 required for maximum completion.

27. The Skull Mask and Green Beret are immesely badass! Will you join the club?

#14 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Bombs can kill you through walls and not kill the guy they landed on

Running 20 meters past a bomb can still result in you getting hit by it

#15 Posted by Killroycantkill (1424 posts) -

Molotov's > Everything
If you don't have a Molotov upgrade a melee weapon and run around like a fool.

#16 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (652 posts) -

Long execution animations will get you killed, just melee or shoot them again.

#17 Posted by JamesJeux007 (503 posts) -
@rasmoss said:

I really love the way the multiplayer works and how similar it is to the single-player but... DAMN ! People playing like it is Uncharted made me quit so fast. It is so frustrating :'(

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Molotovs are really easy to avoid, never craft a Molotov or a Bomb as a crafter as it is more efficient ingredients-wise to do smoke/medikit/shank/melee weapon; resulting in more gifts (which could be bombs or molotovs) for your buddies and more points for you.

#19 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Molotovs are really easy to avoid, never craft a Molotov or a Bomb as a crafter as it is more efficient ingredients-wise to do smoke/medikit/shank/melee weapon; resulting in more gifts (which could be bombs or molotovs) for your buddies and more points for you.

The *Not Crafting Molotovs and Bombs* tip is worth its weight in salvage.

34. Brawler 2 is to Combat Prowess what Crafter 3 is to Earning Salvage and Confidental 2+ is to Stealth and Backstabbin'. Do you see the pattern emerge?

#20 Posted by Live2bRighteous (315 posts) -

It's fun to shoot people in the beginning of survivors with a hunting rifle just once. It's even more fun to watch them look for a medkit right afterwards.

#21 Posted by Coafi (1494 posts) -

35. No one ever spots the enemies, only me.

36. Lay traps near toolboxes, people always rush to the toolboxes and almost never check for bombs. It's very effective!

#22 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

38. You can run without showing up on the minimap. Only sprinting lights you up. So outside of hearing your footsteps and the enemy entering listen mode - running is quite stealthy. Certainly stealthy enough for some ballsy flanking manouvers in a chaotic skirmish.

#23 Edited by lusence (350 posts) -

leaving a game sets you back big time, everyone gets sick and hungry.

plan on challenges to take 100 percent of your camp if you fail, meaning do the hard ones for the less troubling damage to your group. And take the easy tasks for the big raids, keep this in mind from the start.

Play as a team, trying to stay with the group as much as you can, even if it means you have to sprint to catch up with the group or the off person that runs ahead... Plan on the enemy always having a group of 4...

#24 Posted by Vertrucio (149 posts) -

Supply Raid mode can swing wildly in the favor of whoever is winning as they rack up parts for kills and can stay together longer with armor and upgraded weapons. Meanwhile the team that's dying keeps getting split up.

Survivor mode offers a better reset at the end of each round.

Both are fun modes, but know what you're getting in to.

#25 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

The Machete is one helluva purchased weapon! Keep upgrading it, and you can use it forever.

#26 Posted by 49th (2850 posts) -

Time travel and teleportation is possible in the apocalyptic future.

#27 Posted by Mustachio (243 posts) -

If you need to pick a challenge you know you can max out easily, pick healing and use a class with First Aid Training 2 or 3, then stick next to any ally. Every second of holding down the healing button nets you 1 heal, so you can easily get upwards of four times the required amount for the third tier in a single match. Easy peasy!

#28 Edited by MelficeVKM (160 posts) -

There are some crazy effective methods in this game. Play with a friend, and equip the maximum level of the sharpshooter perk, along with first aid training 2 and reviver. Put all of your money into armour, and when you have extra, buy ammo. This lets you suck up damage easily while not flinching in a firefight, you don't get downed by bombs and you survive 1-hit-down headshots because of the helmet.

If you're losing the match, you can have your buddy shoot from behind cover while you hold x beside him. This continuously heals him while he has armour and almost no gun flinch. With 3 or 4 people, it's game over doing this. You've already won.

The revolver is good enough that you can run around with just it, and equip first aid training 2, crafter 2 etc. This lets you play a support role while still being effective. Only downside is you need to buy ammo a lot

#29 Posted by RecSpec (3943 posts) -

Here's the amount of supplies you need to unlock more loadout points

• 9 Points 75
  • 10 Points 525
  • 11 Points 1650
  • 12 Points 3825
  • 13 Points 7500

#30 Edited by Vertrucio (149 posts) -

There is currently a very powerful combo/build that I can see getting nerfed in the near future since it's extremely difficult to avoid even if you're prepared. Equip Explosives Expert 2 and Covert Operations 1, then craft smoke bombs. These smoke bombs will have ridiculous stun ranges, extending far past the actual smoke cloud. Then you just run in and Shiv someone in the cloud, maybe melee or shoot another with the Shorty. How wide an area that gets stunned is huge, the only way to avoid it is to run before you even see it in mid air, or before it's thrown. The smoke and Shiv combo is supposed to work, but I think there might be a bug with Explosives Expert 2.

#31 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

There is currently a very powerful combo/build that I can see getting nerfed in the near future since it's extremely difficult to avoid even if you're prepared. Equip Explosives Expert 2 and Covert Operations 1, then craft smoke bombs. These smoke bombs will have ridiculous stun ranges, extending far past the actual smoke cloud. Then you just run in and Shiv someone in the cloud, maybe melee or shoot another with the Shorty. How wide an area that gets stunned is huge, the only way to avoid it is to run before you even see it in mid air, or before it's thrown. The smoke and Shiv combo is supposed to work, but I think there might be a bug with Explosives Expert 2.

I can't even select Explosives 2. Bugged out somehow.

#32 Posted by Vertrucio (149 posts) -

It can be useful to split into groups of 2 early in a match, with the express understanding that you are not to engage unless it's a lone player or an easy down and execute. This way, you can cover two approaches to see how any players are heading in a direction. If you see 2 players, you can back off, lay traps, and head to the other side where you overwhelm the other 2 quickly with 4 people. If it's 4, you can either retreat to better ground, or get their attention while your teammates flank. Throwing smoke grenades can help in this regard as it can conceal your true numbers.

Use upright movement more often (not sprinting), the speed gained from it helps you avoid getting hit while moving in the open. It also lets others better understand when someone isn't using the Covert Operations perks to sneak around.

#33 Edited by Evo_Flareon (1 posts) -

Can't go wrong with revolver/semi-auto rifle. Both get 3 shots to down(without armor) 5 to down with and shoot reasonably quick.\

Being more patient than the other guy pays off in some situations. Waiting for them to pop their sorry heads out of cover gives you the opportunity to line up the first shot.

This one is common sense but when in a shootout with another player aim for the center of their chest. Shots will land and if you're lucky their shot on you may pop your cross hair to their head and BOOM. HEADSHOT.

#34 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (500 posts) -

A tactic that works well for me is to down someone then hide. Wait for there teammates to come and revive them then Molotov or flamethrower there asses. TOASTY!!!

#35 Edited by iHawe (2 posts) -

#57 Best way to down enemie is by shooting to his head before he spot you, he'll be down with 3 bullets from Burst Rifle or 2 if you using Semi-Auto Rifle.

#58 In survivors mode if you are the last survivor in your team don't rush, go to nearest toolbox and it will gives you at least 3 or 4 tools ready to use ( usally MACHETE, 2 bombs and molotov) and you'll get a free earning parts!

#36 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

I think I should give the multiplayer a try, everytime there has been a game with fantastic single player, the multiplayer has usually been horrible or mediocre at least.

#37 Edited by iHawe (2 posts) -

@verendus said:

I think I should give the multiplayer a try, everytime there has been a game with fantastic single player, the multiplayer has usually been horrible or mediocre at least.

Yeah you should, and you'll become addicted to it, trust me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.