Any way to recharge the flashlight without the SixAxis?

#1 Posted by Megasoum (360 posts) -

So I'm using a 3rd party controller to play all my PS3 games because I hate the DS3... It doesn't have SixAxis functionnality but who cares...everybody abandonned that like 5 years ago right? Right???? Sigh... So now my flashlight is low power and I have no way to recharge it... Is there any button you can use to replace the SixAxis?

#2 Posted by DrSwank (442 posts) -

@megasoum said:

So I'm using a 3rd party controller to play all my PS3 games because I hate the DS3... It doesn't have SixAxis functionnality but who cares...everybody abandonned that like 5 years ago right? Right???? Sigh... So now my flashlight is low power and I have no way to recharge it... Is there any button you can use to replace the SixAxis?

omg, that's insane! Can you turn off the light for a little while to recharge it?

otherwise: turn up the gamma!

#3 Edited by believer258 (12017 posts) -

This game uses the Sixaxis?

Man, that really bums me out.

#4 Posted by Megasoum (360 posts) -

@drewmaw said:

@megasoum said:

So I'm using a 3rd party controller to play all my PS3 games because I hate the DS3... It doesn't have SixAxis functionnality but who cares...everybody abandonned that like 5 years ago right? Right???? Sigh... So now my flashlight is low power and I have no way to recharge it... Is there any button you can use to replace the SixAxis?

omg, that's insane! Can you turn off the light for a little while to recharge it?

otherwise: turn up the gamma!

You can turn the light on/off as much as you want but it won't recharge without the SixAxis. It will still kinda work but it will flicker heavily and you get the weird icon flashing in the corner telling you to shake your controller.... Didn't have a choice, I dusted off my old DS3...ugh.. Can't wait for the PS4 and it's superior controller.

#5 Posted by WebScud (118 posts) -

I'm more annoyed that I can't disable vibration. Same with Tekken Revolution. I have RSIs and vibration only triggers pain for me.

#6 Posted by Creamypies (4081 posts) -

I like the use of SixAxis for recharging your battery. It makes sense in the context and isn't overused. Sucks that you can't turn it off though.

#7 Posted by 49th (2788 posts) -

I wondered what that icon was for hahaha, I just shook my controller like it said but never paid attention to what it did.

I though it was fine though, all you have to do is slightly move the controller.

#8 Posted by Reisz (1517 posts) -

@webscud said:

I'm more annoyed that I can't disable vibration. Same with Tekken Revolution. I have RSIs and vibration only triggers pain for me.

That sucks, I have real shitty tendinitis in my right hand at the moment and it's been getting in the way of everything, I completely understand how bothersome that could be, Hell I have an old launch Sixaxis laying around, you want me to mail it to you?

#9 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

@webscud: I disabled vibration in the PS3 system settings.

#10 Edited by YukoAsho (2079 posts) -
@rihanna said:

@webscud: I disabled vibration in the PS3 system settings.

Specifically, go to Settings->Accessory Settings->Controller Vibration Function in the XMB.

#11 Posted by acfreakman (2 posts) -

So I am having the same problem but do not have the needed controller? Is there no way to fix this?

#12 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4423 posts) -

It's not that bad you whiners, it requires the weakest of shakes.

#13 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2508 posts) -

It sounds like a neat feature but having no way around it is super lame.

#14 Posted by Sterling (2497 posts) -

I read the title as Fleshlight, and was very confused.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (15029 posts) -

Best use of Six-axis still goes to Ninja Gaiden and its Six-axis boob bounce.

#16 Posted by MildMolasses (3225 posts) -

I had no idea that's what I was being prompted for. I just saw the prompt come up in the corner and I would tilt a few times. I thought it was because a building was shifting and I was doing that to maintain balance

#17 Posted by Humanity (9633 posts) -

I had no idea that's what I was being prompted for. I just saw the prompt come up in the corner and I would tilt a few times. I thought it was because a building was shifting and I was doing that to maintain balance

Likewise, it happened to me once when I was outside in broad daylight and my flashlight was already off. Good to know thats what it was for.

#18 Posted by Thor4562 (1 posts) -

Easy fix! save and load and it will be fully recharged again! hope this helps

#19 Posted by kishinfoulux (2411 posts) -

It's not that bad you whiners, it requires the weakest of shakes.

Shouldn't even be there. It's fucking pointless.

#20 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4423 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

It's not that bad you whiners, it requires the weakest of shakes.

Shouldn't even be there. It's fucking pointless.

Meh, if the sixaxis was tied to anything that required actual skill (like the balancing act bullshit from Uncharted 1) then I would be pissed, but instead of adding in an extra button prompt that the game already has enough of, all I have to do is tilt.

#21 Posted by AircrashKop (2 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

@colourful_hippie said:

It's not that bad you whiners, it requires the weakest of shakes.

Shouldn't even be there. It's fucking pointless.

Meh, if the sixaxis was tied to anything that required actual skill (like the balancing act bullshit from Uncharted 1) then I would be pissed, but instead of adding in an extra button prompt that the game already has enough of, all I have to do is tilt.

Did you just say 'It's not that bad you whiners'?.... 'All you have to do is tilt'?.... Do me a favor and read the first post up there dude...
I made an account because nobody saw fit to tell you that the reason we're disappointed with this thing in the game is because we don't HAVE the sixaxis controller, but rather some other form i.e. Walmart or some kinda gamestop kind that isn't built with the sensor that allows tapping/shaking/tilting etc. The point of this thread is to find a way around the annoying flashlight thing if we can't do the tap. (which the guy up there solved with the save/load idea)...... okay, dude?

#22 Edited by AircrashKop (2 posts) -

@thor4562 said:

Easy fix! save and load and it will be fully recharged again! hope this helps

Thanks dude. fixes the problem entirely.

#23 Edited by csl316 (9032 posts) -

This game uses the Sixaxis?

Man, that really bums me out.

Honestly, I beat the whole game on hard without even knowing that. Nothing to worry about.

#24 Posted by believer258 (12017 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@colourful_hippie said:

It's not that bad you whiners, it requires the weakest of shakes.

Shouldn't even be there. It's fucking pointless.

Meh, if the sixaxis was tied to anything that required actual skill (like the balancing act bullshit from Uncharted 1) then I would be pissed, but instead of adding in an extra button prompt that the game already has enough of, all I have to do is tilt.

Did you just say 'It's not that bad you whiners'?.... 'All you have to do is tilt'?.... Do me a favor and read the first post up there dude...

I made an account because nobody saw fit to tell you that the reason we're disappointed with this thing in the game is because we don't HAVE the sixaxis controller, but rather some other form i.e. Walmart or some kinda gamestop kind that isn't built with the sensor that allows tapping/shaking/tilting etc. The point of this thread is to find a way around the annoying flashlight thing if we can't do the tap. (which the guy up there solved with the save/load idea)...... okay, dude?

Honestly, you should never not have first party controllers. Third party ones are always worse than the other ones.

"But I don't have the money to buy a new controller". You did, however, have the money to buy The Last of Us.

And yes, use of the six-axis still bums me out, but if it's just a matter of lazily flicking the controller in some random direction then I don't see much of an issue. It's not madly shaking it to get critters off of you in Resistance 1 or balancing on thin ledges in Uncharted, so I don't see that much of an issue.

#25 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@webscud said:

I'm more annoyed that I can't disable vibration. Same with Tekken Revolution. I have RSIs and vibration only triggers pain for me.

Hold the PS button and disable vibration from the controller itself.

@megasoum said:

So I'm using a 3rd party controller to play all my PS3 games because I hate the DS3... It doesn't have SixAxis functionnality but who cares...everybody abandonned that like 5 years ago right? Right???? Sigh... So now my flashlight is low power and I have no way to recharge it... Is there any button you can use to replace the SixAxis?

So that's why that stupid sixaxis prompt came up out of nowhere a few times during the game. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the heck it did so that pissed me off. Of course I didn't want to google it out of fear of spoilers.

#26 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5793 posts) -

@believer258: It doesn't impact the game at all, most of the time you'll trigger the flashlight without even doing anything.

Online
#27 Posted by Cakeface (12 posts) -

I don't really see why they put this into the game. Make the gamer shake the controller now and then. It's not that big of a deal but I just don't see the point.

#29 Posted by vikingdeath1 (986 posts) -

Wait.... the flashlight needs to recharge?!? How did I miss that?? wow, and I played through the game twice, not once did I notice! I feel like a fool.

#30 Posted by DrZing (103 posts) -

The first few times I got the shake prompt I didn't notice it was related to the flashlight. I actually thought it was to have Joel pretend to be a Clicker, although that would be a pretty dumb thing to do, haha. It does sound pretty similar...

#31 Edited by Cleric22 (92 posts) -

@megasoum: In the exact same boat as you were. Found this SWEET controller in the layout of a 360 controller (it's the one I'm used to) and got about an hour in when that came up. Apparently there isn't a solution so I had to switch back to my DS3. Best I can say is buy a used one online.

#32 Posted by StrainedEyes (1326 posts) -

Wait.... the flashlight needs to recharge?!? How did I miss that?? wow, and I played through the game twice, not once did I notice! I feel like a fool.

Right? I never once encountered this.

#33 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

Wait.... the flashlight needs to recharge?!? How did I miss that?? wow, and I played through the game twice, not once did I notice! I feel like a fool.

Ah don't feel too bad. I never realized either. Played through the entire thing, never noticed any flashlight flicker or recharge icon, then saw my girlfriend doing it in her playthrough. As expected I was a bit confused at what she was doing oO

#34 Edited by Vertrucio (148 posts) -

The flashlight doesn't need to recharge, so much as there's a mechanic where your light goes on the fritz and starts flickering, and like everyone does or sees in movies, you can fix it by hitting it (or in this case, the controller).

If you hold down the PS button, you can switch controller designations quickly and easily. Have a DS3 plugged in if you don't have a PS button on the controller you're using, then make it controller 1 temporarily, then switch it back.

#35 Posted by agemaner (1 posts) -

killzone 3 is the exact same with the issue on the first mission to turn a valve to progress lol. it really sucks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.