Because every game needs multiplayer...

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (644 posts) -

I thought we realized Naughty Dog made really good multiplayer when they made Crash Team Racing.

#52 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Cool. Naughty Dog does good multiplayer, hopefully they do something interesting with this one, considering the setting.

#53 Posted by RedRoach (1158 posts) -

@Napalm: They said it was going to have multiplayer the day they announced it...

#54 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (831 posts) -

OK, I'll admit, my first reaction was a bit like this:

However, I instantly remembered how great Uncharted's multiplayer is, so there's really no reason to worry about this. Naughty Dog knows what they're doing.

#55 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

If you don't like the multiplayer, don't play it. Simple as that. The fact of the matter is that high budget games like these need to sell a lot, and having a multiplayer mode helps sales a lot.

I bought Uncharted 2 for the story but fell in love with the multiplayer. I trust in Naughty Dog.

#56 Posted by wardcleaver (172 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Oh fuck off. Aren't we passed constantly conplaining about multiplayer we know literally nothing about?

Judging by some of the comments, that would be a big NO, unfortunately.

#57 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

I don't get why people care. Pretty much all of the best single player, American-developed games (barring those from Bethesda) of this console generation have had multiplayer. They have ranged from totally meaningless (MGS4, GTA4) to kinda neat (ME3, Red Dead, Uncharted 2). In all cases (aside from perhaps ME3), a separate group working on a multiplayer mode has not subtracted from the game in any way.

Naughty Dog has more than proven they are able to balance the two, so shut the hell up with yo internet whining.

#58 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Wait until you know something about the MP mode before you tell yourself you are bored of it. Uninformed and reactionary is kind of a bad look.

#59 Posted by ModernAlkemie (355 posts) -

So does this mean the Ellie character could potentially be the new Oddjob?

I have to admit, if I can run around as a tween Ellen Paige and shoot dudes I'd be on board.

#60 Edited by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

Really I don't think the reaction is warranted given that many enjoyed Uncharted multiplayer. But this continued anger at what might seem to be tagged-on multiplayer is silly if you understand the important trends in gaming.

The number of people who are really into single player video game isn't really growing that quickly but the larger group of people who are playing games in general is. The areas that are growing are where the games are becoming a bit more social. Sure social games are growing but so are traditional games that have a more social slant. Call of Duty, and WoW are the obvious winners here. If you want to reach this wider group of consumers you have to make the game more social if only slightly. This works primarily because 1 these people prefer a social experience to a solitary one and 2 a social experience generates markedly more word of mouth which is how a lot of people hear about games.

So expect more multiplayer modes, coop modes, and anything that makes your games more social. It's not my favourite trend either but it's a key trend and will not change. I'm pretty sure this has guided most of Activisions decisions and Epic probably won't make another solely single player experience it's not only a trend it's becoming the norm among the most profitable game companies.

#61 Posted by Gamer_152 (13970 posts) -

As we already have a thread on this, I see no reason to keep this duplicate around. Locking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.