David, Nolan North's least recognizable role?

#1 Posted by Silver-Streak (1382 posts) -

So, I know that The Penguin in Arkham City was pretty well done by Nolan North, and you really couldn't tell it was remotely him. However, just making it past David's town in The Last Of Us, I had not even the slightest clue that it was Nolan North who was voicing David.

It could be because the character was so out of key with what I'm used to hearing him portray, but I also think it still vocally sounded nothing like him in any of his varied roles (including those he doesn't play Nathan Drake in).

Anyone know of any other roles he's done that are this unrecognizable? Was it just me that didn't catch it?

#2 Posted by Toadorolum (17 posts) -

I think thats supposed to be the point?

#3 Edited by owack6 (222 posts) -

I think the spheres in Portal 2 are unrecognizable as Nolan North.

#4 Posted by shinjin977 (799 posts) -

@eujin: welp I did not even know that was him. Thanks for that, now I have to wait 4 days until I can play it again.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

steven heck was pretty unrecognizable.

#6 Edited by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (754 posts) -

Sigmund from Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time I think is his most unrecognizable role.

#7 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

His performance as David was amazing. It's justification enough for GB to give out another northie award

#8 Edited by SSully (4322 posts) -

He is not recognizable because they didn't ask him "Hey, play that drake guy from that ps3 game" like they do for a lot of games he voices in.

Like most voice actors he is really talented and has a wide range that you usually cannot recognize.

#9 Edited by Silver-Streak (1382 posts) -

To be clear, I do not think Nolan North doesn't have range. It's just that I can usually pick out a voice actor, regardless of their inflection. (Troy Baker is pretty easy to pick out, I never actually got the people that confused him and North), I just couldn't pick him out as David.

#10 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

Definitely as David, I didn't even know it was Nolan North until I watched videos on YouTube.

#11 Edited by Turbyne (98 posts) -

People like to knock on him but the man does a lot of unrecognizable roles.

Troy Baker on the other hand...

#12 Posted by AlKusanagi (992 posts) -

I'd still say him playing the Penguin in Arkham City is the least recognizable.

#13 Posted by laserguy (455 posts) -

David is the rapest? The one that looks like John hawks?

#14 Edited by Aegon (5831 posts) -

Sigmund, like this guy said:

@boom_goes_the_dynamite said:

Sigmund from Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time I think is his most unrecognizable role.

He's the red robot at 0:21:

#15 Posted by Hector (3378 posts) -

@laserguy said:

David is the rapest? The one that looks like John hawks?

Yep!

#16 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@eujin said:

To be clear, I do not think Nolan North doesn't have range. It's just that I can usually pick out a voice actor, regardless of their inflection. (Troy Baker is pretty easy to pick out, I never actually got the people that confused him and North), I just couldn't pick him out as David.

Troy Baker has a voice that everyone wants to, but that's not all he can do (much like North).

I couldn't pick him out until I saw the credits.

#17 Posted by Hunkulese (2876 posts) -

If a voice actor is recognizable they're not doing a very good job.

#18 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

If a voice actor is recognizable they're not doing a very good job.

or they do one voice that everyone wants.

Though Nolan's Drake voice is a lot like his actual speaking voice, it sounded very similar on pretty little liars; and same with Baker's usual voice.

#19 Edited by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

Nolan North's Penguin was terrible (but still sorta likeable because of how corny his performance was) and was pretty easily identifiable as him I think, but David's is one of his few roles where I was genuinely shocked to learn that it was him in the credits.

Overall, though, I'd say Nolan North is one of the easiest to pick out, same with Baker -- least for me anywhoo.

As for other Nolan roles that are more unrecognisable than most, his Ruck character in Dragon Age: Origins (mentally disturbed dwarf you encounter in the deep roads) took me a few completions before I realised that was him.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -
@animasta said:

steven heck was pretty unrecognizable.

...Seriously? Heck was just a psychotic, ADHD-addled Nathan Drake -- from a vocal perspective I mean of course.

#21 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -

I want Nolan North to give the toast at my wedding.

#22 Posted by layer72o (8 posts) -
#23 Posted by GunstarRed (5457 posts) -

Nah, Sigmund in Ratchet & Clank is.

#24 Posted by lifesabeachh (16 posts) -

Ogre Magi from Dota 2

#25 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -

@aegon said:

Yep, it's definitely this one.

#26 Posted by Strife777 (1612 posts) -

Wait...what?

Man, everybody knocked it out of the park for this one.

On a sidenote, I think the Northies should become the best acting performance in a game, not just for Nolan North. I know it would remove a bit of it's humor, but I think it would be cool.

#27 Edited by endaround (2147 posts) -

Troy Baker tends to be limited to his gruff everyman voice for video games. In other work he gets to do more.

#28 Posted by Hunkulese (2876 posts) -
@yummylee said:

Nolan North's Penguin was terrible (but still sorta likeable because of how corny his performance was) and was pretty easily identifiable as him I think, but David's is one of his few roles where I was genuinely shocked to learn that it was him in the credits.

Overall, though, I'd say Nolan North is one of the easiest to pick out, same with Baker -- least for me anywhoo.

As for other Nolan roles that are more unrecognisable than most, his Ruck character in Dragon Age: Origins (mentally disturbed dwarf you encounter in the deep roads) took me a few completions before I realised that was him.

Wasn't North just doing North in Uncharted?

#29 Edited by LeeShawBrown (1 posts) -

How has no one mentioned Dr. Richtofen from CoD Zombies? I'd say that & David from TLoU are pretty equal for me.

#30 Posted by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

Troy Baker is the better VA, he did Kanji which is the clincher for me between the two

#31 Edited by Mike88 (25 posts) -

As long as Nolan doesn't use that terrible voice voice from uncharted ,i'm fine with him.

#32 Posted by Superfriend (1585 posts) -

@mike88 said:

As long as Nolan doesn't use that terrible voice voice from uncharted ,i'm fine with him.

Yeah, popular things suck, don´t they?!

#33 Edited by SASnake (374 posts) -

@turbyne said:

People like to knock on him but the man does a lot of unrecognizable roles.

Troy Baker on the other hand...

You mean Troy Baker, whose Booker, Joel and Jazz in the 2nd Transformers game sound nothing alike? Sounds like you're knocking on Troy now. Also lets not forget his Joker voice in the new Batman game eithier....or Charlie in Binary Domain. So dont knock Troy.

#34 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

Acting.

#35 Posted by SASnake (374 posts) -

Nolan North was also the voice of one of the Spartans in Halo: Reach, Romeo I think.

#36 Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) -

@aegon said:

I dunno, that voice sounds a lot like North's "goofy" Deadpool voice. I think David's is much more unrecognizable.

#37 Posted by FLStyle (4918 posts) -

Agreed, I can spot North's voice from a mile away, whether it's a variation on his normal Nathan Drake voice or his crazy Deadpool voice, but I completely missed that he was voicing David, great job Nolan!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.