Did you ever wish Last of Us was a movie?

#1 Edited by Jeust (10559 posts) -

An user in youtube made a movie of the Last of Us game, with the cutscenes and gameplay. So if you don't have the possibility of playing the game, or just want to breeze through it, here it is:

See at your own discretion, without spoiling anything for anyone. Also don't put spoilers in the thread, please. Be civil.

What do you think of the adaptation?

P.S. - I haven't played the game, and I'm itching to play the movie... ahah sucks

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

Nah, I'm good. I enjoyed playing The Last of Us just as much as I did watching the story unfold.

#3 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

I loved most of the battles, they were usually pretty damn intense.

#4 Edited by Jeust (10559 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Nah, I'm good. I enjoyed playing The Last of Us just as much as I did watching the story unfold.

I loved most of the battles, they were usually pretty damn intense.

Stop! Stop! Stop torment me... :P

#5 Edited by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

No. Every single battle I had in the game felt intense and the relationships and story would not be anywhere near as impactful if I wasn't controlling Joel and Ellie.

#6 Posted by afabs515 (1021 posts) -

I told my friend this game should be a movie 2 hours in. Good to know other people feel the same way.

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

No, I'm a lot more engaged when playing it. Also this game isn't paving new ground in terms of telling a story, I wouldn't like it as much if it was just a movie.

#8 Posted by GunstarRed (5126 posts) -

No, because the game part is very good. It does suck that a bunch of people that don't play games will be locked out of experiencing that story though.

#9 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -

I kinda hated the way Uncharted laid out its combat sections near to the end of Uncharted 2, so maybe expecting Naughty Dog to change the way they do that this generation was a bit stupid, and the fact that I didn't know this was a Zombie game as well didn't help. I ended up playing it on easy which I think is the way most people should play it if they don't enjoy playing the game by the High School.

Do I think the game should of been a film? No. Because when the game got into the more Uncharted like set pieces it is really good. The entire Winter section is fucking amazing.

My big hope for Naughty Dog in the future is that they use this time to think about how they make their games play, they have used each generation to change what types of games they make, I'd like to see them try something truly new from them.

#10 Edited by HouseOfBalloons (46 posts) -

Nope, it was perfect the way it was where you have complete control over everything. As a game, it evoked more emotion than any movie in the last few years. A masterpiece indeed.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

It's the best movie I've watched all year.

#12 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

The problem with these is that if you die at a critical moment you just start again at the checkpoint and thatsw when most people are lose their immersion (?) in this game. But none or less the gameplay in The Last of US is great as well so I do not mind playing it. IT is a shame though that there are no consequences of dying in such games. but if you would do that that frustrate a ton of people. For example imagine a perma death in this game. Most people would not even touch it^^

#13 Posted by Raineko (433 posts) -

I don't think I would have been as immersed in the story if I didn't control the characters in the game. By fighting/surviving as Joel and Ellie and making these moral decisions you can put yourself into their positions much better.

No movie has ever caused such emotional reactions for me.

#14 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Not really. Honestly I think if it was a movie it would only be okay at best.

#15 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2530 posts) -

Nope, I don't - having finished the game this week, I can say that a movie can't do the same things the game did. Like Adam Sessler argues in rev3games' spoilercast, spreading the experience over 18 hours or so allows the characters to breath in a way no movie could. They can linger longer, be subtler, and in general have more pure peripheral content to fill out their motivations, the world around them etc.

All of that is aside from the core gameplay, including the insanely impactful hand-to-hand combat, the decent shooting, the forgiving stealth, and crafting / upgrading mechanics. The gameplay is, in my opinion, almost as worthwhile as the story (and in this case, I mean that in the best possible sense).

Could it be made into a good move? Probably. Would I ever prefer it that way? Certainly not.

#16 Posted by Pr1mus (3875 posts) -

Yes. I think the part where you play and combat is involved is easily the weakest aspect of the game and is at best functional but certainly not fun. This is something that movies can do better. The exploration and just slowly walking around and letting the world around you sink in is great and there is something to being able to do so at your own pace but it is also something that movies can do very well.

But instead of a movie i'd rather see this as a miniseries. A 2 hours episode for each seasons for example. This story needs to be paced relatively slowly to work.

#17 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1572 posts) -

Hell yeah.

#18 Posted by spankingaddict (2661 posts) -

I never watch movies , so no .

#19 Edited by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

Yea, it would have been better as a movie IMO, the gameplay was the weakest component

#20 Posted by Reisz (1483 posts) -

The gameplay was as important to the story as the cutscenes, maybe more so. No way a movie could capture the same experience. Besides, who wants to watch a twenty hour long movie.

#21 Edited by PSNgamesun (406 posts) -

no, a movie would compress a 15 hour game into 2 hours. The feeling of actually going through the ups and downs to get this girl to her destination would be lost. Nothing against films I respect it as much as any medium but this one should stay a game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.