Excited for The Last of Us?

• 52 results
#1 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Is anyone else as excited about this game as I am? It's been a long time since I have geeked out over a gameplay video, but I watched the 15 min run through online this morning, and I couldn't help myself. I really want this game. Probably more than any other game I can think of that is coming out in the near future. I have my concerns that the limited window of play time might disguise the fact that some of the enemy reactions may end up repetitive, or that there might be too much scripting to some of the events shown, but I still like the idea of how the game lets you choose which way to approach encounters. I apologize for the block of text, and the inability to link the video, but my work computer runs an old version of IE that isn't compatible with this site. Anyway, what do you all think?

#2 Posted by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

I am totally in the same boat as you - couldn't be more excited for this game. I think i'm most excited for the reports that the protagonist you play is kind of a dick. It might make for an interesting story.

#3 Posted by wrecks (2125 posts) -

Why yes, I am.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (20571 posts) -

Yes, I'm willing to bet a lot of people are as excited as you are. Including myself.

#5 Edited by wewantsthering (1459 posts) -

Yes I am. Too bad I'm broke and don't my PS3 anymore. :-( Yay for little brothers who I can steal from!

Edit: "Steal" his PS3, not money from him to buy my own PS3. :-d

#6 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

Naughty Dog have earned the right for me to be excited about almost anything they do at this point.

#7 Posted by clstirens (846 posts) -

I was not excited at all, until I accidentally looked up the 15 minute extended demo. Looks brilliant.

#8 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

Pretty much a day 1 for me.

#9 Posted by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

If I had a PS3, I'd be stoked. Since I don't, I will just say that I hope it meets or exceeds everyone's expectations.

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5173 posts) -

Im super worried about this game. After e3 a lot of people seemed to be calling this game out as an evolution for 3rd person shooters, but all I saw was Uncharted with inventory management and a slower pace. If that's the evolution of shooters than count me out. I'm sure the story stuff will be fine, but I don't come to action games for that kind of gameplay. I'll wait for some more footage before I make up my mind though.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2993 posts) -

Yes, even though I know I will never play it since I don't own a PS3.

#12 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the overall scripting of the game. I'm just really hoping that the dynamic nature of the enemy encounters shown in the video continues to be varied throughout the game rather than part of repetitive "if and then" mechanic. If I jump through this window, does it really change each time I jump through, or does it automatically spawn enemies in this room for me to go after? Those are the kind of situations that I want to know more about. If I played through a level on Uncharted multiple times, I knew where enemies were going to spawn and roughly how many. Their behaviour didn't deviate far from a given pattern. I just hope this game changes that.

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

I am FUCKING HYPED.

#14 Posted by falserelic (4947 posts) -

I'm not necessarily hype for it but I'm interested in seeing how it turnsout. It looks fun and I hope the game ends up being good.

#15 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

I'd love to rp in that universe, as is my nerdy/writer way. But yes, looks magnificent

#16 Posted by Lava (626 posts) -

I'm very excited for The Last of Us. It looks like a great combination of gameplay and story telling.

#17 Posted by Bulby33 (521 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to it, yes.

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

We were excited, but we decided not to be excited so you could be the only one excited for it.

#19 Posted by probablytuna (3444 posts) -

I really don't want to watch any more gameplay footage of The Last of Us because I know I will play it but at the same time I can't look away cause it just looks so damn good.

#20 Posted by me3639 (1607 posts) -

I avoid any footage of games i am excited for and yes totally hyped for Last of Us, along with Dishonored, Assassins Creed 3, and Bioshock Infinite.

#21 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

It's the only upcoming PS3 exclusive I'm actually looking forward to.

#22 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

Is anyone else as excited about this game as I am? It's been a long time since I have geeked out over a gameplay video, but I watched the 15 min run through online this morning, and I couldn't help myself. I really want this game. Probably more than any other game I can think of that is coming out in the near future. I have my concerns that the limited window of play time might disguise the fact that some of the enemy reactions may end up repetitive, or that there might be too much scripting to some of the events shown, but I still like the idea of how the game lets you choose which way to approach encounters. I apologize for the block of text, and the inability to link the video, but my work computer runs an old version of IE that isn't compatible with this site. Anyway, what do you all think?

I want to see what happens if the character shot the man from behind the window, and then stayed crouched under the window sill. Or even stood outside.

Would the computer chase them?

#23 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I'll most likely buy a PS3 this christmas just to play it.

#24 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

Are you really asking that? It seems like that and Bioshock are the most anticipated games of 2013 by most people.

#25 Edited by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Yup...I asked. Notice I didn't say "am I the only one" though? See, I have learned a thing or two from reading these forums.

#26 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

@DarthOrange: Yup...I asked. Notice I didn't say "am I the only one" though? See, I have learned a thing or two from reading these forums.

Yea I apologize, I guess the asshole inside got the better of me. I am not always like this, I swear! As for the Last of Us, after Naughty Dog started doing micro-transactions for Uncharted 3 with no one complaining at all I fear this will make Naughty Dog think that they can get away with it in future games. I hope I am wrong.

#27 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@kgb0515 said:

Yea I apologize, I guess the asshole inside got the better of me. I am not always like this, I swear! As for the Last of Us, after Naughty Dog started doing micro-transactions for Uncharted 3 with no one complaining at all I fear this will make Naughty Dog think that they can get away with it in future games. I hope I am wrong.

No worries. I was just busting your metaphorical balls. Unless you are a dude, then I was totally busting your literal balls. Wait....that all sounds really wrong somehow.

#28 Posted by cutyoface (525 posts) -

I am extremely excited.

#29 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

Yes, I can't wait. I'm keeping myself away from anymore gameplay videos or trailers in excitement. I really need a PS3 though.

#30 Posted by MetalMoog (906 posts) -

Hell yes. I love the Uncharted series and think it's the best thing to happen to video games this gen. Combining Naughty Dog's talent with a visceral survival experience and I've got my GOTY. Launch day purchase, day off work to play it when it's released. :)

#31 Posted by Pyrrhic (11 posts) -

God I'm so excited about it, it looks beautiful like Uncharted and the game play looks just awesome, good work Naughty Dog.

#32 Posted by Lord_Xp (599 posts) -

I am also excited for this game because of how depressing the world is and how the girl has no idea what the world was like before this whole outbreak happened. Makes you think of everything through her eyes. It will be a different game I am used to playing which makes me excited for it even more

#33 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

It's probably the one game I'm most looking forward to.

#34 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

Words cannot explain my excitement. If I were to come close, it'd involve the word boner and magic carpet ride, but even then it falls short of what I wish to convey

#35 Posted by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -

Not excited, but very interested.

#36 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

After the GI cover story and the E3 showing, it's my main thing to look forward to next year. I'm going blackout from now on though; Uncharted 3 was mostly ruined by preview/review coverage.

#37 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

Yes I'm looking forward to the game especially since I know it's being developed by a studio I hold so dear. I just hope it lays off scripted sequences and enemy reactions are based solely on your actions than the game forcing you into confrontation too many times.

#38 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

I've been excited about this game since I first saw it. It's probably going to be my GOTY, and after seeing the new infected gameplay my jaw hit the floor. This game is going to be something truly special.

#39 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

Excited is a strong word. I am hopeful about it.

#40 Posted by eternaLightning (2 posts) -

I've been very excited for this game ever since it was announced. I really like ND's work and I like that they are moving away from the heavy action of Uncharted to something a bit more slower paced.

#41 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Is this open world or a corridor crawl?

#42 Posted by Nodima (944 posts) -

I WAS extremely excited, like possible best game I'd play this generation. But after seeing all the infected stuff they've been showing off the past week or so, it's starting to look like just another Naughty Dog PS3 game to me. The atmosphere is amazing, the characterization is great (by video game standards) and the basic gameplay is solid - trouble is, combat itself just isn't any fun. Maybe a lot of that sudden shift in sentiment is due to exactly how much I hated the ways both Uncharted 1 and 2 ended (so much that I don't really have any desire to play 3, honestly) and the ways these newest looks remind me of that. But I'm really down on this game all of a sudden. It was the first I MUST HAVE THIS GAME DAY ONE game since L.A. Noire (which didn't deliver exactly the PC Blade Runner-esque experience I was searching for) in my opinion, but now I'm just mildly curious all of a sudden.

Mostly, I'm worried they showcased a section of the game that I wanted the entire game to be when they originally blew the lid off the thing. I truthfully want the game to feel as little like a series of corridor puzzles and plotted enemy spawns as possible. I was hoping more for a game where sound and vision are paramount to staying alive, but tension is built by actual interaction with people/creatures being rather sparse.

#43 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

Yes! It looks incredible I just hope it actually lives up to its potential.

#44 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

Kinda? I haven't seen anything of it except the E3 demo. I still don't know what this game is supposed to be.

#45 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

I completely forgot this game existed until the bombcast reminded me.

#46 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Only if it comes out on the PS4.

#47 Posted by DukesT3 (1853 posts) -

Day 1 for me and will probably ask at walmarts and targets to see if I can get anyone to sell me an early copy.

#48 Posted by RioStarwind (370 posts) -

I'm mildly interested in it since Naughty dog is making it. Might pick up a copy after it comes out if it turns out to be a great game.

#49 Posted by GunstarRed (4731 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it. I've been far more interested in the story stuff than any of the gameplay shown.

#50 Posted by Hupfen (44 posts) -

I am super excited for the game, simply because it looks completely different to what is currently coming out this year. I don't mind the odd sequels/prequels like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite but it's always nice to see a new game which hogs the spotlight for a change!

The story looks like it might be quite amazing~

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.