Gender equality/inequality in the Last of Us (SPOILERS)

• 115 results
#101 Edited by Brundage (371 posts) -

Why would you try and talk about gender equality on GB where 90% of the people who post thinks it means "All men are evil and you should all be ashamed for having penises!"

It's like going to a Klan meeting and talking about racial equality.

Not that it's just the vocal part of the GB user base, it's people who identify themselves as "gamers" in general.

#102 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

I'm not sure I get what the NYT guy is even trying to argue

#103 Edited by lusence (345 posts) -

swing and a miss! beware you will become a little dumber by reading this BS...

I read that article from the NYT. Bunch of BS as i figured, guy is just trying to sound smart by jumping on a popular gripe. basically just stirring the shit. If he wanted to play a 'strong female lead' so bad why didnt he just play one. Hell couple of new great games with female leads just came out this year. Tomb Raider which is a classic female lead, and a whole new take with Remember Me which also has a very strong female lead... people just love to rile gamers up with BS as we feel so violated when our fav. hobby is blamed for all kinds of dumb shit.

couple points about the article that i found extremely stupid where saying that since some of the main chars that die near the start are female, meaning its just used as a sexist way to make you feel for the char... WOW so um your child dies and your lover/partner dies so what are you supposed to feel? just because it was a daughter and a 'girlfriend' doesnt make it sexist. Something is wrong with you if you dont feel sad about this. Plus the most powerful deaths IMO was during the sam and henry segment. that was just, wow... anyways at least i can chalk it up to more reality on how fucking stupid and low some people will go just to act like they are on to some profound point...

#104 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

here is some nice artwork that shows how hunter are seeing women in this grim world.

also someone managed to get a list on in which women are represented in this game.

Spoiler of course: So DO NOT READ UNTIL YOU FINISHED THE GAME!!!!

Clickers

Runners

Stalkers

Random human women NPCs die many times in Last of Us.

Major characters:

Marelene is the LEADER of the fireflies, Joel kills her

Joel's daughter dies in the intro, along with many other female humans

Tess kills a female soldier

Tess is shot to death

Ellie has brutal death animations

Unarmed firefly female doctors can be killed by Joel (optional)

Tommy's town has female guards, and his Wife runs the entire town

They just do not fit in to the hunter society and maybe these hunters are also sexist and see women as second class people which again would be a real possibility here.

#105 Edited by Spectreman (232 posts) -

The guy from NYT not finished the game when write the article. The white knight syndrome make him write what he thinks no matter the game content.

#106 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4661 posts) -

That NYT article is just... fuck.

#107 Edited by Yummylee (21464 posts) -

Dumb

#108 Posted by stryker1121 (1392 posts) -

@darji said:

@bkbroiler said:

Sorry to blast off like this, because I'm not going to read the articles. I just can't imagine a game being called sexist because AT ONE POINT you save a young, 14 year old girl. There is nothing sexist about that, considering Joel is 50ish. Is it sexist that parents raise their kids and tell them what to do? Also, Ellie totally saves Joel's life about 2 hours earlier in the game. Jesus what is the world coming to these days. Why is gender politics the discussion of EVERY SINGLE GAME now? Is it just because you get massive pageviews for posting these bullshit stories?

That is why I think the PAX Panel is really interesting. Hopefully they will stream it on twitch.

You should read the NYT article because you are off point on this. The author is not complaining about Joel having to save Ellie, but that the game doesn't have the guts to have the player inhabit Ellie but for brief moments. tLOU then becomes just another "male power fantasy" starring a gruff father-figure type, and that was disappointing to the author.

#109 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (616 posts) -

How come any time a video game breaks through the medium and is considered an achievement in art, millions of sexism discussions occur afterwards?

Does this happen in other mediums?

#110 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@darji said:

@bkbroiler said:

Sorry to blast off like this, because I'm not going to read the articles. I just can't imagine a game being called sexist because AT ONE POINT you save a young, 14 year old girl. There is nothing sexist about that, considering Joel is 50ish. Is it sexist that parents raise their kids and tell them what to do? Also, Ellie totally saves Joel's life about 2 hours earlier in the game. Jesus what is the world coming to these days. Why is gender politics the discussion of EVERY SINGLE GAME now? Is it just because you get massive pageviews for posting these bullshit stories?

That is why I think the PAX Panel is really interesting. Hopefully they will stream it on twitch.

You should read the NYT article because you are off point on this. The author is not complaining about Joel having to save Ellie, but that the game doesn't have the guts to have the player inhabit Ellie but for brief moments. tLOU then becomes just another "male power fantasy" starring a gruff father-figure type, and that was disappointing to the author.

And that is just stupid. It was the story for mature gamers and that should awaken these fatherly feelings. After finishing the game people actually went to their daughters just to hug them. It was a very emotional story for an mature audience. And Joel was the character that that was close to this audience. It is in no way a male power fantatsy no matter how you look at it.

In general this male Power fantasy is just an excuse to criticize a game that has no female lead character and this is just stupid. It is not a Male Power fantasy it is just bad writing. And TLOU has no bad writing or any form of sexism or inequality towards gender. If you really want to criticize a Gears of War of sexism or gender inequality but ´do not try to see something in games like the Last of us because that will make you look like you are just following a blind agenda.

#111 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4961 posts) -
#112 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

The whole "video games are sexist" debate is ridiculous by this point, or at the very least it is in this case. But the threads that are inspired by articles that see sexism everywhere in video games are always amazing.

#113 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Hack writers jumping in on the gender bandwagon? Oh boy, that's a first. Seems like the arguments they trumpet grow more irrational by the day to justify their ever increasing irrelevance. Think about it, there have been more female protagonists and supporting characters than any other time in the history of videogames. No more Soul Calibur balloons, no more DoA: Volleyball bouncing tits. None of that shit happens any more, but to these hacks progress just isn't enough. Don't get me wrong, political correctness has its place in society, but this we can do without. Hopefully, the more desperate they grow the more people stop listening to their banal bickering.

#114 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Oh my fucking goodness....

#115 Posted by Bribo (598 posts) -

Did the NYT article mention the "Black Guy Dies" trope? Has PETA raised a stink about the deer hunting section? Did no one spot the missed opportunity of suggesting that hybrid car would be the best form of transport in a petrol-starved post-apocalypse?

Issues guys.

#116 Posted by johnbakosh (115 posts) -

This is preeeettttyyyy silly

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.