Good The Last of Us Videos (features / interviews / etc)

#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Spoilers Ahoy!! Potential Spoilers in this Thread!!

Hi all, I am hoping this thread doesn't devolve into absolute Youtube spam, however, I think it'd be great if people could post some of their interesting finds which give insight into the making of The Last of Us.

I'll definitely be posting some videos here myself (starting with my follow-up post) - any who can add to it would be much appreciated.

Almost in the same way of my appreciating making-of videos for fantastic movies (The Lord of the Rings trilogy comes to mind), I want to delve deep into how Naughty Dog crafted what is in my opinion a seminal, generation-defining game (though many would disagree, of course).

ED: Also within the purview of this thread (as I've chosen to rename it Features rather than simply Interviews), I'll be contributing links to some of the more insightful spoilercasts which have been posted about The Last of Us for those of us who want those.

Perhaps some people do not know this, but purchasing the Season Pass grants access to a 90-minute behind the scenes documentary called "Grounded" - I do not, however, intend to post any form of pirated copy of this video, but rather some additional stuff.

Remember, one of the definitions of spam is;

3. Topics linking to websites, images, videos or other material without any original commentary from the topic creator.

So remember to actually include some thoughts or summaries along with your posts.

#2 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Behind the scenes

Naughty Dog has been pushing this video out there for people to see, and sadly I can't find a youtube port of it, so I'll have to just link to their vimeo-esque player. The video is 15 mins long and talks about the sound design and music of The Last of Us. I find their approach to a "world without technology" intriguing, and in general I think the video is very much worth watching.

Oh, and seeing / hearing someone do a clicker voice in real time is fucking creepy. Worth a view for that alone (I seriously thought they'd used a horse or something, not a real person).

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/the-sound-and-music-of-the-last-of-us

After watching that, I recommend checking out the official Playstation channel's insightful interview with Gustavo Santaolalla himself which delves into his background (though only moments of this are a direct rip from Grounded, it's almost all new stuff). I especially love seeing footage from a meeting between him and Druckmann.

Interviews

IGN has had some great contact with the Naughty Dog, especially with Neil Druckmann, the lead designer/writer of The Last of Us. Here is their most recent interview with him in which they discuss The Last of Us in post.

Perhaps the part I enjoy most, though, is when Greg talks to them about the PS4. Man, I can't wait to see what they do with that system.

My first contribution involving the voice actors will be these two videos by Gamereactor, being an interview with the two lead actors behind The Last of Us, Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson. Along with them is, of course, Neil Druckmann himself.

In these videos, totalling around 20 mins, you can hear them talk about finding the right chemistry, the benefits of motion capture / performance capture vs film creation and more!

I find it particularly interesting that Ellie's actress is so unlike Ellie - though Troy is as chill a dude as he always is.

--SPOILERS--

My second contribution is this great interview by Greg Miller at IGN with Nolan North about one of the most interesting characters in the game, David. He explains his thought process behind creating a character who is so different from what Nolan has played in video games in the past - though sadly, his swearing is beeped out :D

What I find particularly interesting is his reasoning for why David acts how he does, and I feel Nolan totally managed to pull it off during the game.

ED: Oh, I was also reminded by @sackmanjones that, yeah, Nolan is in this game! Total shocker, though I guess it shouldn't be :D

Editorial / Spoilercasts

As a person who really loved The Last of Us, there are two spoilercasts which have been posted thus far that I have found to be particularly insightful.

The first one I shall post first is IGN's 1h+ video which dissects a lot of the story, beginning with the ending and moving back from there. I find their overall analysis to be quite in line with how I feel about the game, though to many this would be "too positive". Specifically, aspects such as Ellie never learning how to swim are jokingly touched upon and put aside, whereas to others it is certainly an aspect which can break immersion.

Warning: Greg Miller is once again here, and to some this may be a turn off, but I found his input both funny and at one point quite touching.

The second spoilercast I'll be posting is Rev3games' show, where Adam Sessler hosts part 1 of a 2 part series talking about The Last of Us in detail, specifically Story in the first half, and Mechanics in the second.

In this spoilercast you'll find a more direct comparison between The Last of Us to its literary equivalents, and arguments for how the game hits at the same level as some of those greats. The program, from memory, is more chronologically focussed as well.

I will once again note that this spoilercast is generally quite positive, so if you are looking for more overal critique, I suggest you look elsewhere (I suggest the one done by Gamespot).

That's it for now - I'll come back later when I've found more :D

#3 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

"The Citizen Kane of gaming......"

I no longer feel weird typing that.

Now I just hope they have another panel with better questions next time. :S

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4706 posts) -

Wow, Nolan North was David? Man that guy is truly a god of voice acting. So much range he can do. Troy Baker masked his voice pretty well as Joel but I could always kinda hear his voice. Bravo Mr. Noeth, you are still the king

#5 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@gnatsol: I have mixed feelings about that term, but yeah - this game really does set the bar going forward IMO.

@sackmanjones said:

Wow, Nolan North was David? Man that guy is truly a god of voice acting. So much range he can do. Troy Baker masked his voice pretty well as Joel but I could always kinda hear his voice. Bravo Mr. Noeth, you are still the king

haha! I was SO surprised when I saw him in the credits. HOLY COW, way to go Naughty Dog for hiding it.

#6 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Naughty Dog has been pushing this video out there for people to see, and sadly I can't find a youtube port of it, so I'll have to just link to their vimeo-esque player. The video is 15 mins long and talks about the sound design and music of The Last of Us. I find their approach to a "world without technology" intriguing, and in general I think the video is very much worth watching.

Oh, and seeing / hearing someone do a clicker voice in real time is fucking creepy. Worth a view for that alone (I seriously thought they'd used a horse or something, not a real person).

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/the-sound-and-music-of-the-last-of-us

I think this'll be my last contribution for today, and I've added it to my 1st post. I'll probably take a long while to find more worth watching, as everything else seems to be 1-3mins long.

I think there are a couple of postmortem type videos out there that I'll watch and post if they're interesting.

#7 Posted by TheBarrylad (44 posts) -
#8 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@thebarrylad said:

Here's a great look at the casting of Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker. BEWARE - spoilers within.

Has anyone seen the 90 minute documentary you get with the season pass? Not sure if I want the season pass, but that could sway me.

Nice find! That's actually a direct rip from the top of the Grounded documentary, so you've already got a decent idea of what's in it.

It spreads to a huge number of other elements like how they made fist fights feel good by cheating, how Gustavo Santaolalla's personal background helped him inform some of the decisions he made with the music, how RAM was such an issue for the programmers (most of the code fits within like 5MB RAM - like holy christ), how they had to fine tune shit to get their framerate up, QA, Crunch, and so much more.

It's well worth watching. My favourite parts are when Troy goes through how they made that fucking breathtaking intro stuff, and I really have a man-crush on him right now.

#9 Posted by TheBarrylad (44 posts) -

Sounds cool! I'll probably get it in a few days. Thanks!

#10 Edited by Humanity (9276 posts) -

That Spoilercast was pretty cool and I learned that I really dislike Colin Moriarty.

#11 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Two new videos today!

I recommend checking out the official Playstation channel's insightful interview with Gustavo Santaolalla himself which delves into his background (though only moments of this are a direct rip from Grounded, it's almost all new stuff). I especially love seeing footage from a meeting between him and Druckmann.

Also, IGN has had some great contact with the Naughty Dog, especially with Neil Druckmann, the lead designer/writer of The Last of Us. Here is their most recent interview with him in which they discuss The Last of Us in post.

Perhaps the part I enjoy most, though, is when Greg talks to them about the PS4. Man, I can't wait to see what they do with that system.

Have fun!

@humanity said:

That Spoilercast was pretty cool and I learned that I really dislike Colin Moriarty.

Aww, I really like Colin!

#12 Edited by GardenStateApologist (27 posts) -

@humanity: Fucking Christ, man. It was infuriating when Dyer and (whouda thunk it?) Altano would actually start delving into the themes with some humor and insight only to have Coln interrupt to harp on meaningless semantics. I dunno how you can play the game through to the end and actually think shit like "oh golly gee....her infection sure did look maybe slightly worse at the end there, there's clearly no way this moment is designed to be taken any way but literally, I bet she's gonna turn and eat Joel and Tommy in their sleep." It is so definitely the antithesis of that sorta thing. And I can understand expecting a sequel, but, divorced from the realities of game production and based solely upon narrative grounds, actually wanting one where Ellie leaves Joel.......god help me for trotting out this bit of banality, but fuck....how can you so completely MISS THE FUCKING POINT. Also, drawing comparisons to The Road and then prattling on as if you've parsed some profound parallel............I don't even know. That Rev3 piece happens to be excellent.

#13 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@gardenstateapologist said:

@humanity: Fucking Christ, man. It was infuriating when Dyer and (whouda thunk it?) Altano would actually start delving into the themes with some humor and insight only to have Coln interrupt to harp on meaningless semantics. I dunno how you can play the game through to the end and actually think shit like "oh golly gee,, her infection sure did look maybe slightly worse at the end there, I bet she's gonna turn and eat Joel and Tommy in their sleep." It is so definitely the antithesis of that sorta thing. And I can understand wanting a direct sequel because the characters are rich, but actually expecting one, divorced from the realities of game production and based solely upon narrative grounds.......god help me for trotting out this bit of banality, but fuck....how can you so completely MISS THE FUCKING POINT. Also, drawing comparisons to The Road and then prattling on as if you've parsed some profound parallel............I don't even know. That Rev3 piece happens to be excellent.

Haha, you've pointed out some of the reasons I liked the IGN panel so much - namely, they all had pretty diverging opinions of the game even though they all loved it.

Colin certainly has some odd perspectives, but I won't outright say he was wrong. It comes down to interpretation, expectations, etc.

Also - I really hope TLoU doesn't get a sequel, but considering how it's selling, I'd be shocked if there isn't one.

#14 Edited by GardenStateApologist (27 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah, I went a bit overboard there. Namely what irked me so much was the time they spent trying to clarify minutia and skirtig the meaty themes. It was a blast tugging on Infinite's....infinite threads until they all aligned. This is just not that kinda game. But goddamn, how great is it to see this medium producing uncompromising narratives like these with some serious cash behind them. For that reason, I think we very well may never see that dreaded direct sequel. The game's honestly a straight up prestige piece. There were times I was blown away by how long you were left to soak in the environment. And the restraint and patience employed by slowing teasing out character facets? Hell, for the first like six, seven hours, Ellie is one-note blitheness and sarcasm, Joel a curt shell of a man. I kinda feel like Sony just stepped back for 4 years and let 'em do whatever they wanted.

#15 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

Haven't seen anyone mention the production video you can get as a Season Pass holder. After installing the pass you need to get it from the games main menu. It's about 90 minutes long and very good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.