How's that multiplayer?

#1 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

If a game has good multiplayer i'm usually the type to get real in to it.

I redboxed the last of us and beat it this weekend on a single rental (Which last technically two days) and I loved it.

However, I can't try the multiplayer. Is it any good?

Would the game be worth purchasing just for that? Also they got some single player dlc on the way as well.

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

The multiplayer is pretty good. You have a clan and you need to maintain that clan. If you enjoyed the games combat you wlll enjoy this its uses the same combat mechanics.

#3 Posted by BlamBlam (46 posts) -

Get a mic and have at least one other person to play with. You're probably going to have a bad time otherwise.

#4 Posted by vikingdeath1 (967 posts) -

I liked it alot, it sort of reminds me of Splinter cell multiplayer, but both teams are the spys and its alot less vertical. If that comparison helps.

but is it worth a $60 purchase? you should probably watch some video of it first.

#5 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

Perhaps i'll wait for a price drop considering i've already played it.

Also BlamBlam is right and i'm micless. I'd probably piss people off even if I was really good at the game, considering the teams are so small.

#6 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

The multiplayer's superb. It's unlike much else out there with its slow, methodical pacing, and it can be incredibly intense as you're slowly sleuthing around. Getting the jump on someone and shoving a shiv in their neck can be really satisfying to pull off. Same with getting the notification that someone's been downed thanks to a nail bomb you've planted.

It's quite literally everything that's appealing about the single player combat translated into a multiplayer environment, but even better.

@blamblam said:

Get a mic and have at least one other person to play with. You're probably going to have a bad time otherwise.

Not really. If you're playing on your own, then you can just keep to the no parties playlist, so you're always going to be playing with randoms. Naturally it works better playing with people you know, but I've played it on my lonesome and it still works well. Surprisingly enough the majority of the randoms I've encountered actually understand that you have to stick together as a team to succeed.

#7 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

It has a Gears of War feel to it, small teams, downs and executions. I've been playing it here and there, and iv'e enjoyed it so far. If you liked fighting humans in the single player you'll like it. I wouldn't buy it just for the multiplayer though, I'd wait until the dlc comes out, which I'm guessing might take a while, so you'll be able to pick it up cheaper when it does.

#8 Edited by Flappy (2236 posts) -

I usually play multiplayer with a friend or two, but I was able to play almost an entire 12-week period without a mic and had no real problems. Just learn to stick in groups, mark enemies, and play smart. If you're that dude without a mic that's constantly chilling at the other side of the map, you'll get a buncha hate.

#9 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

It has a Gears of War feel to it, small teams, downs and executions. I've been playing it here and there, and iv'e enjoyed it so far. If you liked fighting humans in the single player you'll like it. I wouldn't buy it just for the multiplayer though, I'd wait until the dlc comes out, which I'm guessing might take a while, so you'll be able to pick it up cheaper when it does.

Oh man! I love Gears of War 1's multiplayer and this sounds...sort of reminiscent in a weird way, you know?

Just how brutal and unforgiving it was, and I believe this game does have an elimination game mode.

I'll get it at 30-40 dollars or perhaps when that DLC pops up.

#10 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5444 posts) -

@turbyne: It's good, gets boring after about 50 hours like most other multiplayer games. DLC should be alright. If you're good you can more or less dictate who wins with some variation in the no teams queue mode.

#11 Posted by wemibelec90 (1655 posts) -

From the little I played, I was annoyed that it took so many shots to kill anyone. For a game that feels like it's a little more survival-based, it felt a little absurd.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

From the little I played, I was annoyed that it took so many shots to kill anyone. For a game that feels like it's a little more survival-based, it felt a little absurd.

It takes but three shots to the body (or two to the head, which'll also kill a player completely) from a revolver to down a player -- lest they're wearing armour, which'll take another two. Players can go down pretty damn fast in this game if you're able to catch someone off-guard.

#13 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@wemibelec90 said:

It takes but three shots to the body (or two to the head, which'll also kill a player completely) from a revolver to down a player -- lest they're wearing armour, which'll take another two. Players can go down pretty damn fast in this game if you're able to catch someone off-guard.

Surprised he said that about the game when even when I played hard mode I felt Joel was a bit of a bullet sponge.

But obviously it's for fun, if Joel only took a single bullet it wouldn't be very entertaining.

Ellie's sections felt much more like a survival game though, she could barely take a hit.

#14 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1046 posts) -

Its basically everything from the singleplayer combat and crafting wise with a few extra weapon choices, so if you enjoyed that you should like the multiplayer. It is really satisfying getting into a firefight, popping a few round to scare the enemy, dropping back and crafting a molotov cocktail mid firefight, then tossing it on them and killing them. Just like singleplayer you never have enough health, ammo or crafting items to feel like rambo, so it feels a little like a game of chess moving in the right spots till you have them in check. And if you get a good team that sticks together you can basically take over the map, but on the flip side if your team sucks and splits up your only hope is that the enemy are fucking up and doing the same, because its all about team work online.

#15 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

If I had one more question.

Is it populated?

Seeing these videos is really making me want to buy the game despite beating the single player off a rental.

#16 Posted by Vertrucio (148 posts) -

There are a lot of people playing it.

Also, if a player is wearing armor and is standing in the open, shoot his legs, it does the same damage as hitting the torso with whatever weapon you're using. I've downed many people who run around with armor by shooting their legs out from under them. Just another incentive to actually use cover.

It is a bit gears of war, however, where gears still uses the snap to cover system, Last of Us' simple move behind cover system works, there's even animation cues to have you rise up over cover when aiming, all without being stuck on cover. Plus, being down to down people very quickly if they're in the open is a breath of fresh air from all the Gears style run forward, roll, and shotgun gameplay that game devolved into. Although you can still be very aggressive in TLOU, it requires a little more forethought.

The whole multiplayer just feels elegantly designed. So many well put together parts, stuff like tagging, sprinting, listen mode, craftable items, the overarching faction meta game.

#17 Posted by Brundage (376 posts) -

Best multiplayer on consoles since halo 3/modern warfare 2.

Like people said, it's like a mix between splinter cell and GOW multiplayer. I wouldn't worry about having a mic or a buddy, still fun for a solid 20hours without friends. Although I could see it being even more fun going into a party with close friends.

#18 Posted by Unilad (561 posts) -

Is it just me, but does anyone else get a slight Gears of War vibe from the combat.

Whether it's the aiming, the maps or just the still camera/following camera when you are dead.

This is especially prevalent when it is down to 1v1 and you are just searching for the other player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.