I'm dying for a book!

#1 Posted by GamerChiCcK (26 posts) -

As i stated in the title, i'm dying for a book that's like The Last of Us. After finishing the game i went straight to my mac and started searching for said book, however i didn't find any that were even remotely similar. I would really appreciate it if you guys can recommend a book for me that is along the lines of the last of us.

#2 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

You could read "The Road" which was the main inspiration for The Last of Us, as stated by Neil Druckmann. Or, as I learned in @markwahlberg's thread, "Earth Abides", which deals with similar themes and has it's main character directly referenced in the game (the whole Ish side story).

You could also read the Last of Us comics. They tell Ellie's story before meeting up with Joel, and are pretty cool.

#3 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

I was going to suggest The Road as well. I read it years ago and enjoyed it well enough. I just finished re-reading it since having a couple kids. That book reduced me to a blubbering mess. If you have kids... tread carefully. :)

#4 Posted by TurboMan (7341 posts) -

The Road.

#5 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

The Last of Us should have been called The Book of Ellie. Get it Book of Eli... Ellie.

She even has a joke book with her. So the joke works on multiple levels.

Genius.

#6 Posted by Morningstar (2127 posts) -

@fourwude said:

The Last of Us should have bern called The Book of Ellie. Get it Book of Eli... Ellie.

She even has a joke book with her. So the joke works on multiple levels.

Genius.

Genius indeed!

#7 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@morningstar: Thankyou. You're a connoisseur of witty wordplay.

There are so many comparisons between the Book of Eli and the Last of Us, that I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more. Post apocalyptic setting. Bible/Ellie being the driving narrative tool, things that need to be protected, purity in an impure world. Bible/Ellie being possible saviors of humanity. Eli/Joel both headed west.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

The Passage by Justin Cronin shares quite a few similarities to The Last of Us, except it's feral vampiric creatures rather than mushroom zombies. It's a fantastic book.

#9 Edited by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

The World made by Hand by James Howard kunstler is a pretty good read, more about the communities like Tommy's town that could be made after an apocalyptic event.

#10 Edited by GamerChiCcK (26 posts) -

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to check out the road because it sounds interesting, it might be a bit too much for my emotional state of mind but i'll give it a shot :P

I also found a book called The passage by Justin Cronin that seems interesting so i'll also be checking that out.

keep the suggestions coming please!!

#11 Posted by GamerChiCcK (26 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: Yeah that was the only book that i found in my search that grabbed my attention. hope it's good! :P

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: Yeah that was the only book that i found in my search that grabbed my attention. hope it's good! :P

It starts off slow, and goes pretty in-depth with characters but thus far I'm really, really enjoying it.

#13 Edited by believer258 (11563 posts) -

@fourwude said:

@morningstar: Thankyou. You're a connoisseur of witty wordplay.

There are so many comparisons between the Book of Eli and the Last of Us, that I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more. Post apocalyptic setting. Bible/Ellie being the driving narrative tool, things that need to be protected, purity in an impure world. Bible/Ellie being possible saviors of humanity. Eli/Joel both headed west.

That sounds a whole lot like The Road as well. I have a feeling this thread is going to keep coming back to Cormac McCarthy's classic, so going to read The Road is probably the best place to start.

#14 Edited by Blackout62 (1324 posts) -

Oh just go read The Road then be angry that it only has one comma in it.

#15 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

There's a Last of Us has a comic book.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.