Is the game worth playing through on easy?

#1 Posted by yesac2004 (121 posts) -

If I play through the game on easy for the story, will I be missing out on much game play wise?

#2 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Honestly, it wasn't all too hard on normal. I'm not good with a PS3 controller, I suck at games like Uncharted because I feel handicapped using one, but there was only maybe a total of 3 parts in Last of Us that were really difficult, and you got right back into it right after you died. There's some tense moments in it, and I think playing on easy might cheapen those moments.

#3 Posted by believer258 (12019 posts) -

Maybe. I don't know if a lower difficulty will make the bad parts - meaning infected sections - any better. I can think of a few sections that would be easier to stomach on easy, though.

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3953 posts) -

Play on whatever difficulty you need to to make it through without frustrations. This game's strength is its story. You can always lower the difficulty at any points.

#5 Edited by awesomeusername (4225 posts) -

Stop being a pansy and play it on hard! Seriously, supplies are scarce and playing it is more intense.

Or you could just be a pansy and play it on normal. No pressure! (Seriously, play on hard)

#6 Posted by Nightriff (5164 posts) -

Don't be afraid to play easy, that is what I did. I found that I wasn't very good at the combat and it got very old and repetitive to me as the game progressed. The story is worth playing through but if the combat doesn't interest you don't be afraid to drop it down to easy and just experience that ride.

#7 Edited by mlarrabee (2999 posts) -

I'm much preferring it on easy. Frankly, I think Naughty Dog's gameplay nearly always sucks but their storytelling is second-to-none. I'm pushing past the encounters to hear the dialog and watch the cutscenes, just as I did with the entire Uncharted series.

#8 Posted by Random45 (1240 posts) -

If you're only going for the story, yeah, play on easy mode. The game play actually really starts to drag at parts, so I think it would be a good idea.

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9746 posts) -

You mean the game that won a ton of GOTY awards? No, probably not.

#10 Posted by csl316 (9040 posts) -

Hard made the game super intense and exhausting. But very immersive and I can't imagine playing it any other way.

I'd say go normal, at least. Easy can be fun, but for a game that emphasizes pulling you into its world... I dunno, would kind of take away from its impact.

#11 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

I think it will lose a lot of atmosphere and tension when you go into cut scenes. Playing this game first on hard made it a more exhausting but also amore fulfilling experience. You went into these heavy cutscenes with more intensity which made them more impactful. None or less you should play it for the still great storytelling.

Also this games is not meant to be fun in my opinion.

#12 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1175 posts) -

Stop being a pansy and play it on hard! Seriously, supplies are scarce and playing it is more intense.

Or you could just be a pansy and play it on normal. No pressure! (Seriously, play on hard)

Supplies weren't the issue for me. I played on Hard and switched to Normal and sometimes even Easy whenever I encountered infected enemies. They were in no way fun to fight, where the humans enemies produced a crazy fun environment on Hard.

#13 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1083 posts) -

I played the whole thing on easy and I enjoyed the hell out of the game.

#14 Edited by awesomeusername (4225 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: I had no problem fighting infected on hard. All you had to do was sneak past them as much as possible.

#15 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1175 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: I had no problem fighting infected on hard. All you had to do was sneak past them as much as possible.

I'm mainly referring to the generator bit where the game throws multiple Bloaters at you. That was just ridiculous.

#16 Posted by awesomeusername (4225 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

I'm mainly referring to the generator bit where the game throws multiple Bloaters at you. That was just ridiculous.

In the hotel when you fall down the elevator? There was only one bloater but a bunch of those running infected that heard you even when sneaking. Or are we thinking of different sections?

#17 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1175 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling said:
@awesomeusername said:

In the hotel when you fall down the elevator? There was only one bloater but a bunch of those running infected that heard you even when sneaking. Or are we thinking of different sections?

Are you sure it wasn't two Bloaters? I don't know, that is the same section. I remember it just being a crappy area. The whole point is to sneak around these things and your forced into a situation where it's just straight up fighting them (Not to mention, on Hard, your practically screwed if you miss a couple shots.)

Infected were annoying once alerted, that's all I'm trying to get at. Yes they were designed that way, but it damaged my enjoyment of the combat.

#18 Posted by awesomeusername (4225 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: Yeah I'm sure it was one. In that area, I turned the generator on and just ran towards the door you needed to get through on my next couple of playthroughs. But yeah, it was a bit frustrating that first time.

I get what you're saying. I was just pointing out my experience with the game on hard (twice) & survivor (twice) were mostly good runs with the exceptions being when playing as Ellie and the part where you're coming out that place where you and Ellie are separated and you're stuck with the Sam. Those parts were a pain when it came to fighting infected.

#19 Posted by RonGalaxy (3230 posts) -

Maybe. I don't know if a lower difficulty will make the bad parts - meaning infected sections - any better. I can think of a few sections that would be easier to stomach on easy, though.

I thought the infected sections were the easiest parts in the whole game. The AI was pretty stupid (understandably so, they are brain dead). The human enemies were challenging, at least for me playing on hard. Definitely not afraid to gang up on you and flank from all directions.

#20 Edited by RonGalaxy (3230 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling said:
@awesomeusername said:

That section was tense as fuuuuuuuck. I just ran as fast as I could away from all of the enemies(follow the wires!!!!!).

#21 Posted by cowman91 (10 posts) -

My first play through was normal, it was kinda hard but only because I suck at stealth and I got too scared.

I'd recommend 'hard' for first timers, try to stealth as much as possible, conserve your items/ammo.

#22 Edited by Shindig (555 posts) -

Playing through it on Easy at the moment. Mainly to get through it and secondly because Ellie won't get out of my fucking way. I've got a huge issue with stealth games that dish out minimal ammo and then say, "Here's a room of guys. Shoot 'em." They block the areas off like arenas so combat is unavoidable.

And I've got issues with the controls. I can't stick to cover and remain crouched. As soon as I think of changing over, Joel pops his head up like an idiot.

#24 Posted by NTM (7492 posts) -

@shindig: That's why you have to get creative and punch your way out, which can work. I also have never had any of the problems you mentioned.

#25 Posted by Shindig (555 posts) -

I've tried to punch my way out as much as I can and, it works great til the Hunters get hold of soldier gear. And you're telling me that, not once, Ellie hasn't got in your way or forced Joel to stand up out of cover because she's an obstacle?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.