Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Issues with saving?

• 58 results
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Okay, so I just started playing the game this morning, and it seems like it is pretty cool, however I've been having some issues with the saving system. I'm not very far into the game, maybe an hour or so, but I just lost about half my progress. I had to do some stuff for a friend, so I tried to save the game but I couldn't since it just kept saying "autosaving... please wait" I thought I was in an "autosave area" or something so I played a few more minutes, same thing was happening, I even hit a cutscene but alas it said the same thing so I just shut off the system and when I went to play again, the save was 30 minutes or so back, which is quite annoying.

So I guess my question is, is this a common issue or is it just a rare bug/a problem on my end?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You just have to wait until the autosaving is done, it takes forever though. At least this is how it is every time I save it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marcsman

I was shocked that the download was only 157 mb. Am I missing something here?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pompouspizza

@jacdg: If you go to save the game it always says ''autosaving please wait'' you just have to wait and then it will bring up the menu to let you manually save. The only save issue I have had is when I quit the game and when I started it again it skipped me forward a few rooms which was odd.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You just have to wait until the autosaving is done, it takes forever though. At least this is how it is every time I save it.

It sat there for 10 minutes though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been waiting half an hour while eating lunch now, and it still says autosaving, something is broken somewhere it seems...

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morningstar

@jacdg said:

@morningstar said:

It sat there for 10 minutes though.

Ok, then it must be broken. Mine sits there for a long minute or so.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been waiting half an hour while eating lunch now, and it still says autosaving, something is broken somewhere it seems...

That sucks, kind of makes me want to not play it for a while, if it happens every so often..

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think this is an issue with the 1.01 patch. I never had any problems with the autosave feature until I downloaded that patch this morning. Thankfully the patch is separate from the main game data, so I managed to delete the patch and play the game offline without any issues.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman: That 157mb is an installer for the game that does the following

1) Downloads faster than normal ps3 downloads (I guess the coding behind sony's downloading is bad, so naughty dog made their own)

2) Lets you start playing the game 50% through downloading

3) Downloads in the rest of the assests while you're playing (most games dont let you download while playing).

I'm almost 50% there and it's been about an hour since I started downloading. Pretty sweet of ND for addressing slow ps3 download times like this

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Captain_Insano

Just looked online (same thing happened to me and a mate separately). It's a bug where you can unfortunately do nothing to resolve it, you can't even manually save because the auto save greys out that option. I lost about half an hour. Pretty irritating.

Hopefully they address it soon. It's ruining my immersion because now I'm paranoid and saving every 10 min

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Huh, what's happening to me is that the autosaving thing is on everytime i'e gone to the menu. Well that's not cool, hope that gets fixed soon.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg said:

@village_guy said:

That sucks, kind of makes me want to not play it for a while, if it happens every so often..

Yeah, the saving is broken. I lost three hours of progress. I don't plan on playing again until it's fixed. :-/

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

There's definitely a bug. Lost an afternoon's worth of gameplay. About 4-5 hours. I'm pissed. The Last of Us isn't really a mechanically fun game to play for me. So that's a fucking bummer. And no, that autosaving thing never finishes up. Wouldn't have lost an entire session's worth of gameplay otherwise. Only started to have this problem after today's title update.

Grrr.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wow, I got sent back far. I left off where Ellie talks about being outside for the first time and when I checked to see where it had last saved, it was before I had even got the backpack and stuff. Damn.

jasaldo_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I lost 4 hours of gameplay over here as well :(

Larsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Larsa

Lost 90 minutes. Shit's fucked. Crazy that it can happen to such a high profile game.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By webscud

@seppli said:

There's definitely a bug. Lost an afternoon's worth of gameplay. About 4-5 hours. I'm pissed. The Last of Us isn't really a mechanically fun game to play for me. So that's a fucking bummer. And no, that autosaving thing never finishes up. Wouldn't have lost an entire session's worth of gameplay otherwise. Only started to have this problem after today's title update.

Grrr.

I kinda feel the same. I'm intrigued by the story, but Ellie being the "the key to the cure" feels really cliche. I hope the story takes a left turn.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Another reason I'm glad I have a job, and can never play a game at launch.

owlmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there anyway of avoiding that patch?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Is there anyway of avoiding that patch?

Unplug your PS3 from the internet and use your console offline.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Kinda glad I have to wait for my copy to arrive. Hopefully it's patched by then.

benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had the same issue. I was playing it for about 3 hours until I noticed that it was stuck on auto-saving. Looked online and my heart just sank. Turned off the PS3, booted it back up and my progress is from just under 3 hours ago. The rage!

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tesla

That's lame. Note to self: don't download that patch.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli

Lots of negativity in me right now. I'll take out the game, and play something else instead. Come back in a week or two. I'll need to take it in fresh, or my urge to rush through what I've already played will spoil the game for me even more. What a shame.

Oh well, hopefully that'll salvage it somewhat, and give Naughty Dog the time to iron out this nasty kink. What a shit show.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is terrible. Lost about an hour of progress. Day one patches huh

ted_mosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a bummer. Apparently this was an issue even before the day one patch, how did nobody notice this?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Mister_V

Got about an hour into it and noticed it was stuck auto-saving. Luckily i read this before getting much further.

Hope they get it sorted soon because what little of the game i have played so far is really good.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#30  Edited By amlabella

Glad I read this thread before starting the game, that's a real shame to hear. Hopefully it can be resolved some time today.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jacdg

Glad my issues could help some of you guys not get completely screwed - I'm really glad I didn't get further into the game, I'll just play some NBA 2K13 the next few days and listen to all the E3 coverage, hopefully it'll be fixed within a couple of days.

benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a bummer. Apparently this was an issue even before the day one patch, how did nobody notice this?

I think it may be. I just deleted the patch earlier and so far I've had no issues, but that isn't to say there won't be later on. However yesterday, before the patch it worked fine too so deleting the patch seems to be a fix for now.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

There's a big Reddit thread about this bug over here with input from a guy from Naughty Dog. Lots of people saying that they're getting the bug both before and after the patch. Seems like the day one patch was mainly multiplayer stuff.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jimmyfenix

Remember to click load instead of continuing. This happened with me in uncharted 3. apparently the continue button will not load a more recent save. i got hit by the bug but luckily i only lost a few minutes of progress

Apparently on reddit people are saying stay offline and the game will work apparently

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, my options were finish Tomb Raider or start this. Guess I know what wins out til they fix it.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about an hour and a half in and I figured I just couldn't save until I hit a certain point. I started getting suspicious once the tutorial stuff ended and now I'm pretty pissed. It sounds like this is fairly widespread and a huge blemish on what has otherwise been a really good game. I'm really not sure I want to replay that stuff unless I know the save bug is fixed.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

According to an IGN article on this problem, downloading the patch and then going offline can get the autosaving to work.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Sackmanjones

Yup sounds like it's the patch. Guess that means I won't be downloading it or playing online today

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By Atlas

Yup, bit me real hard. I was up to the part where the three of them were just approaching the Capital Building, and I hadn't made any hard saves and the option to do so was greyed out. I had to restart the console, and my last autosave was during the fucking prologue.

I cannot describe how pissed I am right now. I've been real lucky in the past with not experiencing game breaking bugs - no save corruption in The Walking Dead, no major issues with XCOM: EU, minor crashes but nothing game breaking in Skyrim etc. - and this is the first time I've been hit with a bug like this. It hurts so bad.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Crap... well, I think I'm probably just going to complete the damn thing today anyway for safety's sake :P Not like I mind, though. It's been pretty tough to put down.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RonGalaxy

Fuck, I have to restart the game from an hour or so worth of progress. Kind of pissed, but the game is way too awesome for me to hold anything against it. Seriously, that beginning part of the game... Wow

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By pr1mus

Yes finally! My super short attention span finally pays off! Seriously i can't play anything for more than half an hour before taking a break and do something else...

Now more seriously this blows and hopefully the folks at Naughty Dog don't go away for the whole weekend without addressing this.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MEATBALL

So glad I was lucky enough to have avoided this glitch so far. No problems over the last couple of days and I installed the patch today and played for another couple of hours without encountering the glitch. I'll definitely be playing offline to avoid it.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Looks like playing offline will not cause the bug. Good to know!

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By eccentrix

Let's see how long I've lost. Out of 3.5 hours... 3.25 hours. "Played for 13 minutes"

Demon's Souls it is.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Thanks for the warning. Guess I'll be waiting to play it when it's patched.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@gkhan said:

Also here

Isn't it great that network connectivity can severely impact single player experiences? Always online is the future, for real.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10/10. GOTY 2013 M I RITE GUYS?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.