Let's talk about box art

#1 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

There has been a lot of talk about how we all hate the box art for Bioshock: Infinite so I thought it would be nice a nice change of pace that I talk about boxart that I really like. I'm kind of surprised since Naughty Dog has the habit of just having the main character take up the majority of the box in most of their work.

Also, notice the green, blue, orange pattern. Weird.

While this cover does prominently feature our two main protagonists you also get a really good sense of the overall tone of the game. It treats the setting like a character in and of itself. Just this simple image of them moving forward yet looking back with fear and loathing in their eyes says so much about the game's overall sense of dread.

Do you like this box art? Do you think it's just okay? Do you still hate Bioshock Infinite box art?

#2 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

Wow, I haven't seen that The Last of Us box art before, I really like it.

#3 Posted by Hadoken101 (778 posts) -

This is probably not the case but the fact that The Last of Us shares the same orange colour palette of the last game in each series could possibly hint at the fact that there won't be any sequels?

#4 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1433 posts) -

I have always liked their box art, even if I prefer a more minimalistic approach. They all have influences of earlier action movie posters.

#5 Posted by Rokkaku (222 posts) -

This box art is okay, seems a pretty straight-forward summary of what this game will be about, while looking fairly pretty. I prefer my box art to be a bit more abstract and visually striking, the Resistance cover from this year comes to mind. And I definitely still hate the Bioshock Infinite box art. Although box art will most probably be a thing of the past in a few years time...

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

As much as I do like fancy and unique box art, they wouldn't do the Blue Orange Protagonist Holding A Weapon With Debris Floating Around shit if it didn't attract attention.

I like the European RE4 box art a lot.

#7 Posted by CaLe (3982 posts) -

I like the BioShock Infinite box art and I like this box art. I don't think I'm capable of disliking box art.

#8 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

I think is ok. I don't know why people hated the Bioshock Infinite box art...I guess I don't really care about games box art that much?

#9 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

it's good

#10 Posted by Thoseposers (784 posts) -

I can't quite place my finger on why but i actually think the cover looks bleh and kind of generic

#11 Posted by punkxblaze (2984 posts) -

Dude looks like Old Drake.

#12 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

Definitely has a movie poster vibe to it, kinda cool.

#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3546 posts) -

Wonder if there will be a Last of Us 2 & 3, doesn't seem like the kind of story that will carry over multiple games.

#14 Edited by Vextroid (1395 posts) -

Looks like a generic movie poster. 

I think it would look better if they removed the characters, just focus on the dilapidated ruins of Faux York City (I don't know were the game takes place).

#15 Posted by Levius (1131 posts) -

I think it's fine. Also, there is totally going to be a the last of us 2, sony won't bankroll a game this big without being able to sell at least one sequel.

#16 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

Even though it is a little generic, I can't help but appreciate that they at least focussed more on Ellie, while also placing the implication that this is the sort of world that will force a young teen to wield firearms... which to be fair isn't all that different from the sort of World we have today in certain areas. Point is they could have very easily just placed the rugged, tough white guy at the centre stage instead, and I'm happy they opted to veer away from that. Y'know, so it doesn't look exactly like that other Troy Baker boxart.

#17 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Nathan Drake has a beard now?

#18 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Looks like a Walking Dead rip off. Lee and Clementine anyone?

#19 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I have always wanted a game to release with the default box art being just white font on a black background. I had hoped this was going to be the one.

#20 Edited by ProfessorEss (7361 posts) -

It's pretty good. I absolutely love the titlework, the simple font and left alignment.

But MAN I wish Sony would drop that horrifically ugly Sony Computer Entertainment gold diamond logo thing. I mean isn't it enough to have the PS logo, PS3 logo, PSN logo and wordmark and the "Only on Playstation" wordmark?

That SCE diamond never doesn't look bad.

#21 Posted by Castiel (2602 posts) -

It's okay. Nothing special really, but then again I have also seen a lot worse. As long as the game is great... you know? (Rhetorical. Don't answer the question dammit!)

#22 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

@ProfessorEss: I have to agree about the SCE diamond. It always sticks out like a sore thumb.

#23 Posted by Live2bRighteous (317 posts) -

@Vextroid: I think it may be in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

#24 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Hadoken101: @Rainbowkisses: I never noticed that before, but Jak and Uncharted do go Green, Blue, Red.

#25 Edited by Ghostiet (5265 posts) -

I like the box-art - while I preferred the green color scheme of that initial poster, I like that it's simple and focuses more on Ellie than Joel.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Looks like a Walking Dead rip off. Lee and Clementine anyone?

Please tell me you're joking. My irony radar no longer works on the Internet.

#26 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

@Hadoken101: @Rainbowkisses: I never noticed that before, but Jak and Uncharted do go Green, Blue, Red.

Their settings are also rather consistent with one another as well.

• First set in a jungle/tropical environment.
  • Second introduced more variety, with a lot more additional industrial environments, and the overall tone was much darker for both at that.
  • Third has a strong focus on desert environments.
#27 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

This 2013 Troy Baker games boxart is not bad.

#28 Edited by gaminghooligan (1443 posts) -

Now that's some good box art! I want that as a poster now.

@Yummylee said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Their settings are also rather consistent with one another as well.

• First set in a jungle/tropical environment.
  • Second introduced more variety, with a lot more additional industrial environments, and the overall tone was much darker for both at that.
  • Third has a strong focus on desert environments.

dude....

#29 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

$10 says the box art changes before release to a muscly dude shooting a gun to make it seem like a more mainstream game.

#30 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

I'll be surprised if this is anything more than a concept cover. I expect a future cover with just a fraction of the child's face peaking out from behind the mighty protective frame of the protagonist. Also, teal.

#31 Posted by Shortbreadtom (777 posts) -

I don't understand the BioShock controversy. Box art is used to sell games to people who are in a shop and see something interesting. The people who are complaining about the box art are surely already sold, as they are the ones who pay attention to this. And even if they weren't sold, an unimaginative box cover isn't going to change their mind either way.

Also, when do you ever see box art? When you are buying it, and when you put in the disc. Who's storage solution is to have all of their games outfacing on a shelf?

#32 Posted by TheHT (11237 posts) -

Hm. Looks good.

#33 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -
 I lie how it is almost like the background is the focus of the cover. Also orange tint is always nice.

@Rokkaku said:

This box art is okay, seems a pretty straight-forward summary of what this game will be about, while looking fairly pretty. I prefer my box art to be a bit more abstract and visually striking, the Resistance cover from this year comes to mind. And I definitely still hate the Bioshock Infinite box art. Although box art will most probably be a thing of the past in a few years time...

Which Resistance art from this year? The Vita game, the North American collection or the European collection?  

#34 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -
#35 Posted by Philedius (204 posts) -

Why are everybody so angry about the Bioshock Infinite box art? Getting angry because of box art is stupid.

#36 Posted by awesomeusername (4183 posts) -

@Hadoken101: There will be prequels!

@Zaccheus: It was put out yesterday or the day before.

#37 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -
#38 Edited by Humanity (9206 posts) -

How are people liking this more than Bioshock Infinite when it's basically the same thing. I'd much rather have a beautiful aerial pic of the devastated city and him and the girl on the roof of some building overlooking all of it. Instead of look it's a guy and a girl with guns oh yah there will be shooting in this game cool.

EDIT: So much good concept art wasted too - this took literally 5 minutes but this is the kind of feel I would rather they went with

#39 Posted by Thanatos3 (82 posts) -

@uniform: Its funny how the industry acts like we live in the fuckin 90s.

#40 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -

I like this a lot for the stylistic decision to draw the girl larger than the father character. Walking Dead and The Road have both been brought up in this thread, and in both the father figure is shown to be at least twice the size of the child. Making LoU's father character smaller was a deliberate choice, and I'm interested in what that means for the game's story.

#41 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Vextroid said:

Looks like a generic movie poster. I think it would look better if they removed the characters, just focus on the dilapidated ruins of Faux York City (I don't know were the game takes place).

Pittsburgh.

#42 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -
#43 Posted by PurpleOddity (36 posts) -

Rainbowkisses said:

Also, notice the green, blue, orange pattern. Weird.

Not so weird. In colour theory, teal/greenish colours compliment orange. Since skin is orangey, and human characters are almost always prominently featured on box art and movie posters, most designers opt for the 'safe' option and go with teal, or something close to it. Now you won't be able to unsee it.

Sorry.

#44 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

@PurpleOddity: Never knew that. That's really interesting.

#45 Posted by EVO (3907 posts) -

I'm not a fan. The Dutch tilt, the orange, the blinding sunlight; no sir, I don't like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.