New 15 minute gameplay footage

#1 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOcyxiLfUW0

This game has been on my radar since it was first unveiled. This footage shows a bit less action and more puzzle/exploration segments. There's still no footage of any creatures or infected humans or anything of the sort; it is still just footage of regular ol humans. However, something called 'clickers' are mentioned by one of the guys scavenging the building.

One thing that bugged me about this footage was that, out of context, I don't get why he decided to just attack the first two guys. They weren't doing anything except scavenging around, and from the sounds of them talking, they were a little worried and uneasy. Joel just attacks one of them without knowing for sure they were hostile or not. Its make me think he is overly protective or that he did something to piss off a huge group of guys, causing them to go out and look for Joel and Ellie. Again though, this is a bit out of context as we don't know what happened before this video starts.

Also, I hope there is a lot of exploration. I'd like the game to let up on the action for a good chunk of time to just let you take in the sights and scavenge around, letting you put your guard down or even rack up the tension because you just know something is going to happen but you have no idea when because its just staying quiet and calm.

#2 Posted by kpaadet (410 posts) -

You can hear in the E3 demo that the group of scavenger were talking about killing "tourists"(non local people) for their supplies, so Joel definitely had reason to believe they were hostile. Anyway the new demo looks awesome, especially the enemy AI.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -

Oh, so it isn't really "new". 

And yeah, the discussion about the out of context killings is also dated since it was talked about a bunch after the E3 presentation.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

How is it not new? AFAIK it was shown behind closed doors at E3 and has been made public at PAX

#5 Posted by GunstarRed (5189 posts) -

I'm actually glad they've held off giving us a look at how the "clickers" move and react to you. Part of me kinda wants them to never show any of that stuff outside of brief glimpses. I'm glad they showed that the scenario in the E3 demo was playable a much different way and that you have a lot of freedom to move around the environment, but something about the game seems a little... I can't find the right word, boring seems too harsh.

Maybe it's really just being out of context, but the sequence seemed far more exciting when it was edited down. I'm still really looking forward to the game though, the interactions between characters are obviously going to be the real draw like Uncharted.

#6 Posted by Humanity (9269 posts) -

It's like the extended cut of the E3 stuff we saw. Theres definitely new footage which actually turned me off a bit from the game. Before it felt like a story but those boosting the girl up moments so she can drop you down a ladder just scream video game at you so hard the immersion was totally lost on me.

#7 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1439 posts) -

What I really enjoyed was the cat-and-mouse game towards the end. Relying strictly on sight and sound to find the threat in a gutted hotel seems pretty intense, especially if you have little to no ammo and health. Also the enemy's AI to book it at the sign of danger, then switch to survival/predator mode is impressive.

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Boo AI partners.

#9 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

The AI of the enemies in this game seems amazing to me.

#10 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1439 posts) -

Also, dropping down to a dark, flooded, crumbling part of a hotel with a flashlight is always a good sign that nothing unnatural will pop out behind the sofa.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21665 posts) -

@Humanity said:

It's like the extended cut of the E3 stuff we saw. Theres definitely new footage which actually turned me off a bit from the game. Before it felt like a story but those boosting the girl up moments so she can drop you down a ladder just scream video game at you so hard the immersion was totally lost on me.

It's definitely a cliche, one that they sprinkled a bit too much across the Uncharted series, but I wouldn't say it exactly takes me out of the game. Now the fact that the ladder, and other interactive objects, glows... that's a little out of place.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (21665 posts) -

OK, what the fffffffffffffffuuuuuck?? The dynamic AI is just... it's unbelievable how advanced it all appears. Like how Joel will even comment on what's currently going on, like if he's now chasing down one of the hunters, and how Ellie will also comment on how gruesome of a way the hunter was killed. This looks like this could be the sort of game that's great to play through at least twice, because of how many variables that are going on during the combat scenarios.

#13 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

This game looks amazing so far.

#14 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Looks amazing. I just wonder how scripted it all is.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Hope this isn't a specific moment in the game where the AI works as great as this. I've never seen this kind of AI in a game before. I'm truly impressed once again by Naughty Dog.

#16 Edited by Humanity (9269 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

OK, what the fffffffffffffffuuuuuck?? The dynamic AI is just... it's unbelievable how advanced it all appears. Like how Joel will even comment on what's currently going on, like if he's now chasing down one of the hunters, and how Ellie will also comment on how gruesome of a way the hunter was killed. This looks like this could be the sort of game that's great to play through at least twice, because of how many variables that are going on during the combat scenarios.

All that stuff looked great. Also that moment where the hunted becomes the hunter, and you experience the other side of the battle when you're looking for this one guy in this giant place was really cool. I mean I won't make judgement calls from a single video, but all the "platformy" stuff looked pretty weak. Was anyone else just thinking "oh c'mon that elevator is creaking like crazy oh NO ELLIE DON'T JUMP DOWN ON IT..goddamnit yah yah just fall already.."

#17 Edited by Yummylee (21665 posts) -

@Humanity said:

Was anyone else just thinking "oh c'mon that elevator is creaking like crazy oh NO ELLIE DON'T JUMP DOWN ON IT..goddamnit yah yah just fall already.."

Oh, definitely. That sort of highly telegraphed event also instantly brought me back to Uncharted. I hope they'll limit that sort of stuff to a minimum and they focus more so on just simple exploration, peppered with those fight or flight action sequences of course.

#18 Edited by Castiel (2616 posts) -

@Humanity said:

All that stuff looked great. Also that moment where the hunted becomes the hunter, and you experience the other side of the battle when you're looking for this one guy in this giant place was really cool. I mean I won't make judgement calls from a single video, but all the "platformy" stuff looked pretty weak. Was anyone else just thinking "oh c'mon that elevator is creaking like crazy oh NO ELLIE DON'T JUMP DOWN ON IT..goddamnit yah yah just fall already.."

From someone who don't want to make a lot of judgement calls you sure make a lot of judgement calls.

Anyways I think the game looks FUCKIN' AMAZING!

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

It didn't feel right somehow. I guess I just refuse to believe that someone has actually made video game AI that has this kind of flexibility built into it.

The girl companion just made me want to play the next episode of The Walking Dead.

Thinking I'll just watch this game on YouTube when it comes out. It'll probably have a lot of movie moments.

#20 Posted by SpartanHoplite (384 posts) -

AI looks great. Cant wait.

#21 Posted by Humanity (9269 posts) -

@Castiel: I just said the platforming looks weak from this video, I'm not passing any judgement on the game until I see footage from the finished game. A lot of stuff looked cool though and it will give me an excuse to take my PS3 out of the closet. I hope it still works.

#22 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

PRESS X TO ELLIE

#23 Posted by NTM (7382 posts) -

I have to say, it's looking quite amazing. The way the A.I. dynamically work together, hide, and everything else about them is very realistic, and cinematic. I mean, wow. I also love games that have settings that feel like they were once lived in. I'm not really that into things that have to do with apocalyptic zombie like stories, but this is somewhat different, and I am interested. Every single aspect of this seems to be well made, and feels like the next step into cinematic, or realistic gaming; in a sense. The only thing I didn't really say wow on, was the main character voice acting. It's still great, but some of the tone I just didn't know about.

#24 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

This might not be new but it's somehow a much more interesting version of that same sequence. At the same time, you can kind of see the 'paths' given to the AI, usually in regards to whenever someone pops up on screen who wasn't there before. I imagine some of this stuff gets recycled a bit, but they seem to have it be just dynamic enough to work.

Also, "clicker" is what we called the TV remote in my family, so the fact that the bad guys seem to be searching a derelict hotel for one is fucking hilarious.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

How does this look so smooth? It looks like all scripted sequences, but the person playing seems to be In complete control the entire time. This play through and the original one we seen are completely 100% different, but both look entirely scripted.

#26 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@CL60 said:

How does this look so smooth? It looks like all scripted sequences, but the person playing seems to be In complete control the entire time. This play through and the original one we seen are completely 100% different, but both look entirely scripted.

It might be similar to how the original FEAR's AI was handled. The developers knew which paths the players would take and when, so they modified and scripted the AI to reflect it. It would be amazing if this turns out to be dynamic AI, but its possible Naughty Dog did a ton of scripting per level.

#27 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

I'm sure the game will be great considering Naughty Dog's pedigree, but I'm just not interested for some reason.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24837 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Boo AI partners.

I predict Ellie will be either:

• A hindrance that will need to be babysat.
  • A hindrance required for solving environmental puzzles that ruin the pacing and immersion.
  • An obnoxious know-it-all akin to a post-apocalyptic Wesley Crusher.
  • Any or all of the above.
#29 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

It looks great. The comment about "infected" worried me, though. Really hope this doesn't become a zombie shooter.

I do kinda share the criticisms most others have leveled about the scripted-ness of the events and the constant need to give boosts, but I feel as though Naughty Dog is really the only developer ambitious enough to have those criticisms leveled against.

#30 Posted by RedRoach (1191 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOcyxiLfUW0

This game has been on my radar since it was first unveiled. This footage shows a bit less action and more puzzle/exploration segments. There's still no footage of any creatures or infected humans or anything of the sort; it is still just footage of regular ol humans. However, something called 'clickers' are mentioned by one of the guys scavenging the building.

One thing that bugged me about this footage was that, out of context, I don't get why he decided to just attack the first two guys. They weren't doing anything except scavenging around, and from the sounds of them talking, they were a little worried and uneasy. Joel just attacks one of them without knowing for sure they were hostile or not. Its make me think he is overly protective or that he did something to piss off a huge group of guys, causing them to go out and look for Joel and Ellie. Again though, this is a bit out of context as we don't know what happened before this video starts.

Also, I hope there is a lot of exploration. I'd like the game to let up on the action for a good chunk of time to just let you take in the sights and scavenge around, letting you put your guard down or even rack up the tension because you just know something is going to happen but you have no idea when because its just staying quiet and calm.

The cinematic they released a few months ago where they're driving in a truck and get ambushed. Those guys are all from the ambush. Also Joel has a lot of experience in this life, he probably doesn't trust anyone and assumes everyone is a threat. Devs have said a bunch of times that he certainly is no hero.

#31 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@SomeDeliCook

@CL60 said:

It might be similar to how the original FEAR's AI was handled. The developers knew which paths the players would take and when, so they modified and scripted the AI to reflect it. It would be amazing if this turns out to be dynamic AI, but its possible Naughty Dog did a ton of scripting per level.

But some of the stuff looked like it would be pretty hard to actually predict what would happen and change the script accordingly depending on the direction you took, like that part in the first play through where Ellie picks up a brick earlier in the combat sequence, and the person playing runs out of ammo on the last guy, and tries to shoot, and the guy hears the sound and starts walking towards Joel, only to have Ellie call to him and throw the brick from earlier at his face, then Joel rams the guy into the wall as smashes his head into a nearby table. That looked scripted as fuck, but no way would've happened at all if he didn't go into the room with the brick, and run out of ammo.

I dunno man, I find this to be strange.
#32 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

If it looks too good to be true then...

#33 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

If dealing with humans is a lot of interacting with their AI I wonder if the monster enemies will change the gameplay? They probably wouldn't hide or try and flank you, right? If you are always almost out of ammo, will there be a lot of hiding or running? It would be a cool twist on 'zombie' games if you were actually afraid of coming across some of them.

And at 9:45 or so when he hears the guy cough and the music does like a john carpenter movie thing - pretty awesome.

#34 Posted by Crackinwise (9 posts) -

This game might single handed-ly get me to buy a playstation 3

#35 Posted by pleasedaddyno (87 posts) -

Can't help but think of Clementine and Lee, and spider senses tingling that I might expect a very similar ending here...

#36 Posted by SeanFoster (868 posts) -

@pleasedaddyno said:

Can't help but think of Clementine and Lee, and spider senses tingling that I might expect a very similar ending here...

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of Telltale's game but with Naughty Dog's knack for cinematic storytelling.

Either way, between this and Bioshock Infinite, I'm ready for 2013 to get here!

#37 Posted by bkbroiler (1626 posts) -

I like how the different demos show the way the battles seem to be a bit optional. Like the big setpiece of the first E3 six minutes was completely skipped. I think this game looks really great. I believe that if anyone can do the dialog reacting to every possible situation, Naughty Dog can. Now I just wish it wasn't delayed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.