Should The Last of Us Ship with Uncharted Multiplayer?

#1 Posted by TPoppaPuff (236 posts) -

Considering it is highly doubtful this game will have any of it's own multiplayer component*, it would seem to benefit Naughty Dog, Sony, and the gamers if The Last of Us shipped with Uncharted 3's multiplayer component. Everybody knows multiplayer is often shoehorned into a game simply to get players to prevent resale. Often this decision means development time is spent on multiplayer that would otherwise be spent on the single-player experience (though not always, as in the case with Mass Effect 3 where multiplayer was purely supplemental and the dev resources spent on multiplayer would not have otherwise been spent on Mass Effect at all). But if resources are taken out of the equation and copyright/licensing issues are a non-factor (same dev, same publisher), then it would absolutely make sense to include Sony's most popular multiplayer exclusive since its release. It adds value to the title without causing any negative effects on either title. Further incentives may include adding most or all of the multiplayer DLC on-disc like Halo: ODST or as a pack in code.* It adds value to the title as well as value to UC3's multiplayer and life as well. Plus, it increases the number of users with the DLC (good for those who already bought the DLC) and draws a larger consumer base to sell later DLC to as well. Plus, you can incentivize those who may be on the fence about the title to buy this game and buy it new with minimal effort. Maybe even toss in a code for character skins of Joel and the infected. I implore anyone who responds to simply think about it. It's a win/win/win.

Yay or nay?

*Again, I highly doubt they are working on any multiplayer for this game, but it would have solid potential on its own as a truly survival versus mode either akin to Uncharted 3's competitive arena or a Wingman type from the Gears of War franchise or a Halo-esque Infection mode or some combination of all three. I'd like to see a round-based gametype where five teams of two battle each other to survive. To truly add to the team and survival experience, only one player per team starts the round with a gun with any ammo and mostly projectiles/melee weapons lying freely on the map. Once somebody dies, they respawn back into the round as an infected. Points go to the team that is the last man standing, and points for each kill as a human, and a smaller amount of points for kills as the infected.

**Before anybody calls me a cheapskate or the like, yes I do have all the DLC for UC3. I'm not trying to get anything for free, this just makes sense to me if there's no multiplayer being developed.

#2 Posted by WarlordPayne (692 posts) -

I hope that the game can stand on its own without tacking on another game's multiplayer. The game looks good and Naughty Dog has made a name for itself recently so I don't think they need to be that desperate.

#3 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

That sounds kind of dumb, to package a seperate games multi to try to sell it.

#4 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

#5 Posted by MiniPato (2658 posts) -

I think you're jumping the gun. Way too early to go speculating stuff like that before things are officially announced. Personally I don't look to longevity to justify my purchase.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6941 posts) -

That's a ridiculous idea. Some games don't need multiplayer and shoehorning the U3 Multiplayer would serve no purpose.

#7 Posted by Redbullet685 (5981 posts) -

What? No.

#8 Posted by villainy (511 posts) -

Or they could just release the actual game being developed. That way they wouldn't have to build in UI for a completely separate game, put the Uncharted 3 assets on the disk, and sacrifice fidelity to fit everything. WTF are you talking about? Why am I even responding? I should be sleeping right now. You're a bad person, stop keeping me awake.

#9 Posted by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

No it doesn't need it also why? what purpose will it serve The Last of Us is Naughty Dog trying to explore something new and delivering a new experience different than something like Uncharted that's why they didn't just make another Uncharted using that tech , the game looks really good and I'm pretty sure is gonna stand by it's own.

#10 Posted by EXTomar (4133 posts) -

I agree with others all too often that multiplayer is stapled but forgoing that is a big risk from producers view. I'll be happy if they take the "single player only" stand and forgo multiplayer but I also recognize how much of a risk that is.

#11 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

No thanks. I'd rather have them take the resources and time that would go into a multiplayer element and put it into the single player experience. Whether it's competitive or co-op multiplayer, playing with friends or strangers always breaks a game's immersion for me.

#12 Posted by Village_Guy (2410 posts) -

No that's dumb, if the game is going to have multplayer (which I hope it don't) it should be its own thing.

#13 Posted by august (3812 posts) -

Uh...

no?

#14 Posted by J12088 (432 posts) -

Fuck multiplayer. Not every game needs it.

#15 Edited by believer258 (11064 posts) -

No, not at all. We don't need multiplayer in The Last of Us.

Then again, we also didn't need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Bioshock 2 and what do you know? The multiplayer modes in those games were widely considered improvements.

@Hizang said:

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, along with many other well-remembered single player titles, had multiplayer. This is a ridiculous notion.

#16 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Every game doesn't need a multiplayer element. The time spent on multiplayer could go toward making the single-player better. I hope this phase ends soon.

#17 Posted by Marcsman (2904 posts) -

@Hizang said:

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

I concur with this

#18 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@believer258 said:

No, not at all. We don't need multiplayer in The Last of Us.

Then again, we also didn't need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Bioshock 2 and what do you know? The multiplayer modes in those games were widely considered improvements.

@Hizang said:

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, along with many other well-remembered single player titles, had multiplayer. This is a ridiculous notion.

Was the multiplayer the part that made those games great? NO!

Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, GTA Vice City, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, what do all these games have in common? No Multiplayer/

#19 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

I bet it has multiplayer. Some sort of weird, depressing horde mode perhaps.

I'm calling it now.

#20 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Yes

#21 Posted by believer258 (11064 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

No, not at all. We don't need multiplayer in The Last of Us.

Then again, we also didn't need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Bioshock 2 and what do you know? The multiplayer modes in those games were widely considered improvements.

@Hizang said:

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, along with many other well-remembered single player titles, had multiplayer. This is a ridiculous notion.

Was the multiplayer the part that made those games great? NO!

Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, GTA Vice City, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, what do all these games have in common? No Multiplayer/

Yeah, but having great multiplayer wasn't a requirement for being on that list. Just having multiplayer period was. For a great single player experience that also had a great multiplayer experience, there's the original Halo which stands up pretty solidly against everything you listed. How's that for you?

You implied that no great games have multiplayer, which just plain isn't true at all.

#22 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

Bet it'll have multiplayer anyway, maybe some sort of co-op thing. Although I'd hazard a guess that Naughty Dog may have more control over the direction of this game's feature set than they have had with Sony sticking its nose into post-Drake's Fortune Uncharted. Hope it doesn't have multiplayer, the best multiplayer titles are custom-built for competition. As soon as you start splitting the difference between single and multiplayer conceits then one of the two is compromised.

#23 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

what the bloody hell!

#24 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

As much as I don't like shoehorning in multiplayer into every game, I don't think I'd mind in this case since they already have it all built. If they throw it on a separate disc would it really be so bad? I'd much rather see them either not bother with it or try to make an interesting co-op mode, but if it happened I wouldn't really care.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Hizang

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

There are many games that qualify as 'greatest of all-time' BECAUSE of their multiplayer. Most people's favorite Quake memory wasn't telefragging Shub. Finishing the arcade ladder in Street Fighter II is not why that game is legendary.

Half-Life is the easiest example of a game that is legendary for both it's single and multi.
#26 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

No, not at all. We don't need multiplayer in The Last of Us.

Then again, we also didn't need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Bioshock 2 and what do you know? The multiplayer modes in those games were widely considered improvements.

@Hizang said:

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, along with many other well-remembered single player titles, had multiplayer. This is a ridiculous notion.

Was the multiplayer the part that made those games great? NO!

Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, GTA Vice City, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, what do all these games have in common? No Multiplayer/

Yeah, but having great multiplayer wasn't a requirement for being on that list. Just having multiplayer period was. For a great single player experience that also had a great multiplayer experience, there's the original Halo which stands up pretty solidly against everything you listed. How's that for you?

You implied that no great games have multiplayer, which just plain isn't true at all.

Where did I imply that no great games have multiplayer? I think you will find I said The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer, which they do not. If your going to tell me that Halo is the best game of all time you are in a battle you can't win.

#27 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

@Hizang said:

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

I concur with this

Bullshit, Sonic 3 & Knuckles totally had multiplayer. >:(

#28 Posted by believer258 (11064 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

No, not at all. We don't need multiplayer in The Last of Us.

Then again, we also didn't need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Bioshock 2 and what do you know? The multiplayer modes in those games were widely considered improvements.

@Hizang said:

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, along with many other well-remembered single player titles, had multiplayer. This is a ridiculous notion.

Was the multiplayer the part that made those games great? NO!

Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, GTA Vice City, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, what do all these games have in common? No Multiplayer/

Yeah, but having great multiplayer wasn't a requirement for being on that list. Just having multiplayer period was. For a great single player experience that also had a great multiplayer experience, there's the original Halo which stands up pretty solidly against everything you listed. How's that for you?

You implied that no great games have multiplayer, which just plain isn't true at all.

Where did I imply that no great games have multiplayer? I think you will find I said The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer, which they do not. If your going to tell me that Halo is the best game of all time you are in a battle you can't win.

I do consider Halo to be one of the greatest games of all time. Its sequels, no, but the original Halo definitely left its mark on the industry just as much, if not more than, those games you mentioned.

You were saying that the greatest games of all time, those that stand at the very top of gaming history, can't have any multiplayer. I don't see why this has to be a rule, that's what I'm really getting at, and I gave examples of games that are often considered the greatest of all time that also have multiplayer, regardless of quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.