Some more details on The Last of Us.

#1 Edited by mordukai (7133 posts) -
  • The BBC documentary Planet Earth, in particular the segment on the cordyceps fungus was the inspiration for the game.
  • The game was first envisioned as a graphic noval
  • The game's protagonists, Joel and Ellie, are not related. Joel finds her and he sees her as "once chance of redemption".
  • The game will be a from Third Person perspective.
  • Development for the game started soon after Uncharted 2 shipped.

Source

ALso, in an interview with the Playstation.Blog Naughty Dog head honchos said that the trailer has many clues in it to how the game is going to be.

from the video my guesses are:

• There will be some form of stealth. Maybe there will be times where fighting will be completely avoidable.
  • You'll be able to loot bodies.
  • Ammo will be scarce and you'll be force to use other weapons besides guns.
  • "Infected" will not be the only enemy you'll have to deal with as uninfected humans will pose a thret, if not a bigger threat, to themselves.
  • Maybe the use of platforming.
  • You'll get to experience the game from the view point of both characters. \

What are your guesses?

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Don't frighten the ammo, yo.

#3 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

Those are all good guesses. My only other idea would be co-op, since there are two main characters.

#4 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Axxol: thats what i get for making a thread while trying to deal with people rushing me...lol

#5 Posted by obcdexter (577 posts) -

Hopefully this will turn out to be a "thriller" more than an a shooter. I'd like to barely survive the post-apocalypse rather than killing thousands upon thousands of infected/monsters/zombies after a neat but too short traversal pass... wait, wrong game.

#6 Posted by Towers (96 posts) -

Not related to the thread but does the music at the end remind anyone else of L4D2?

#7 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

'Development for the game started soon after Uncharted 2 shipped.'

Hopefully this means it'll come out by early 2013.

#8 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Hopfully it meas it'llbe out by tge end of 2012. I have felling Sony are prepping this game as their big exclusive for that holiday season.

#9 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I'm certainly interested in it, more Naughty Dog is usually a good thin. I'm also for looking forward to the cart racer

#10 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

@Mordukai: the end of 2012? as in less then 20 days from now? I could defiantly see it coming out holiday next year.

#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Your guesses match mind (except for the possibility of platforming). I wonder if there is a going to be some sort of hunger system. That would be cool.

#12 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

As much as that trailer was amazing and I do have faith in Naughty Dog...I just don't want another Uncharted with a different setting (shoot, explore, shoot, explore). It works great for those games, but I hope this game isn't just another "kill everything that moves" type game...I hope it has the kind of depth that UC could have if you weren't constantly killing people/things.

#13 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

@david3cm: Oh my god we found the future man!!! or am I the past man? Oh god, my mind!

#14 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

• The game will be a from Third Person perspective.

Que?

#15 Posted by ffdthree (200 posts) -

@david3cm: welcome to the past, Brono. its 2011

#16 Posted by harinosho (593 posts) -

i hope this game uses amnesia as a reference for fear tactics

#17 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

• The game's protagonists, Joel and Ellie, are not related. Joel finds her and he sees her as "once chance of redemption".

Except for that "not related"-part, and the fact that she's a girl, this is totally "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy in a lush apocalypse.

#18 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Titus said:

@Mordukai said:

Except for that "not related"-part, and the fact that she's a girl, this is totally "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy in a lush apocalypse.

What's so wrong with that? I really liked The Road.

#19 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Mordukai: I don't know what's wrong with that, did I write that something was wrong with that?

#20 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Titus: There was a slight hint of sarcasm...If not then I apologize. I guess I got too used to the constant stream of indifference on this web site.

#21 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I hope the lead male character has done some awful shit in the past, hence he's seeking redemption.

#22 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Mordukai: Believe you me, Steve Buscemi does not fuck around when it comes to Cormac McCarthy. I'm a huge McCarthy buff. Can't WAIT for The Passenger.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.