Supernatural Element

#1 Edited by Fr0Br0 (3085 posts) -

How much of this game would you want to be focused on the hyper realism of human vs. human theme and how much would you like to see the combat and story inclusion of the supernatural elements?

Personally, I would like it to be grounded in reality for about 99% of the game until after you beat the last encounter which concluded with your Ellen Page looking companion disappearing only for you to find her dead with a gaping wound on her neck. Your main character, loosing the last thing he had in his life, pulls a gun to his head. All of a sudden, your companion begins to twitch. Your character looks down at her. She opens her eyes, snarls her teeth which are now razor sharp and jumps at you. Your character now aims the gun at her and pulls the trigger. Credits roll. Werewolf Zombies. Calling it.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

I don't get it. The game already has zombies.

#3 Posted by Zella (621 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I don't get it. The game already has zombies.

#4 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3085 posts) -

Oh shit, it was confirmed to have zombies??

#5 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

@Fr0Br0 said:

The very first hint at the game's existence was a news report on a not-zombie-but-zombies infection due to a disease/parasite/something. The whole game revolves around that...

#6 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3085 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Fr0Br0 said:

The very first hint at the game's existence was a news report on a not-zombie-but-zombies infection due to a disease. The whole game revolves around that...

Hmm interesting, okay I'll revise my question

#7 Posted by GunstarRed (4733 posts) -

Watch the cordyceps video on youtube... That shit creeps me out more than any zombie. The original site linked to a video of it before they announced it at the Spike VGA's

#8 Posted by TheHT (10288 posts) -

No one remembers the reveal trailer? The one where they get attacked by zombie-monster things and have to run away?

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

@TheHT said:

No one remembers the reveal trailer? The one where they get attacked by zombie-monster things and have to run away?

Uh, yes?

#10 Posted by Mercer (194 posts) -
@Fr0Br0 said:

How much of this game would you want to be focused on the hyper realism of human vs. human theme and how much would you like to see the combat and story inclusion of the supernatural elements?

Personally, I would like it to be grounded in reality for about 99% of the game until after you beat the last encounter which concluded with your Ellen Page looking companion disappearing only for you to find her dead with a gaping wound on her neck. Your main character, loosing the last thing he had in his life, pulls a gun to his head. All of a sudden, your companion begins to twitch. Your character looks down at her. HER FACE EXPLODES WITH FUNGAL GROWTH, snarls her teeth which are now razor sharp and jumps at you. Your character now aims the gun at her and pulls the trigger. Credits roll. Werewolf Zombies. Calling it.

fix'd for appropriate zombie type lol

But yeah, grounded as much as possible with of course the necessary concessions for being a video game.  hopefully with Joel only being able to take a few bullets, hell maybe they'll have a hardcore survivor mode :D
#11 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

There are mushroom monsters in the game already. The Last of Us is the prequel to Mario.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Yeah I wonder if they have gone away from that, I can see it being a last act WTF thing, like end of Uncharted 1 and 2.

#13 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -
#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

ZOMBIES ARE NOT SUPERNATURAL UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN RAISED BY NECROMANCERS FUUUUUUUCK WHY DOES NO ONE GET THIS.

*breathes*

Supernatural means it breaks the basic laws of nature. There appears to be a perfectly scientific cause for the mushroom head virus.

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

Honestly, I wish there were no freakishly mutated mushroom head people (zombies) in this game. I just want it to be focused on survival grounded in semi-realism. I hope the mushroom heads don't become a frequent occurrence and turn the last third of the game into "Uncharted: APOCALYPSE!!" I would be really bummed if that happened.

#16 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1326 posts) -

I read that they got the zombie idea for their game by watching a BBC nature documentary called "Planet Earth", where it showed a fungal plant (Cordyceps) infect ants and took over it's brain and caused growths on it's head.

#17 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@Fr0Br0: I like that take on an imaginative ending. I just hope they don't shy away from consequences and potential loss of life of the main character like they do with Uncharted ....

Spoilers for Uncharted games:

I was really bummed out that Sully didn't die in UC3. Not because I don't like him but because it cheapens the fake-death stuff and kinda eliminated the only possible character development.

After what I've seen of the "realism" stuff in the Last of Us, I'm kinda bummed that there even is a supernatural element in the form of these not-zombies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.