The Inevitable Sequel (Spoilers Ahoy)

#1 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

Everyone is talking about how Sony will probably push Naughty Dog to make a sequel. In an interview with Playstation Blog, Neil Druckmann said

I think the world is ripe for more stories, but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on [sic] it ends with this game. We were very conscious that we didn’t want to leave this story dangling. If we never do a sequel we’re okay with it, because we told the story we needed to tell.

In the Playstation and Rev3Games Spoliercast, a couple people mentioned how they would want the sequel to follow Ellie. I really hate this idea. The ambiguous ending works perfectly for the first game. I don't want to know how she feels about Joel later on. The whole idea I took away from the ending is that Ellie has to accept that lie, not because she believes it to be true, but she needs it to be true. Having her rebel against Joel in a sequel dampens that idea, and having her continue to believe it in the sequel would make it seem like their relationship has failed to further develop. What would a sequel really expand on with these characters?

As for a sequel following another cast, I'm not sure how I feel about that. As beautiful as the world is, I have no strong desire to return it. Even with a different cast I fear that it wold simply retread on the same themes of the pointless struggle for survival and the need for companionship. They could probably tell another story expertly, but when there are so many other dystopian futures that could be used to weave a story, a sequel seems like effort and time that could be spent on another game?

Would you want a sequel, and if so what would you want to see in it?

#2 Edited by Ghostiet (5251 posts) -

I wouldn't want a sequel. I wouldn't get mad if they made one - I'd buy it day one - but TLoU is one of the few video games right now that fucking end and it ends perfectly. The game left me with a complete experience and while I would be really happy to get more of it, I don't need to. Especially since I still have Survivor and Survivor+ to finish and I didn't even get to play any multiplayer.

#3 Posted by Pie (7080 posts) -

I want something like the last of us but without zombies. They really executed their story well but man it is pretty tired at this point.

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

This is the same situation with Bioshock. No one wanted a sequel but now Infinite is one of the most acclaimed games this year.

#5 Posted by Bleshoo (128 posts) -

The Second Last of Us.

#6 Posted by Jay_Ray (1082 posts) -

This is the same situation with Bioshock. No one wanted a sequel but now Infinite is one of the most acclaimed games this year.

Bioshock Infinite is as much a sequel to Bioshock as Red Dead Redemption is to Red Dead Revolver. The Last of Us does not need a direct sequel nor do I want one however I am all for another story with new characters in that universe especially if it takes place outside America.

#7 Edited by Reisz (1483 posts) -

If they made it I wouldn't play it. That story is done.

If nothing else this should show Sony that Naughty Dog aren't just an Uncharted factory, they can excel beyond expectations when exploring new territory. Sony higher ups have probably already seen several pitches from Naughty Dog for their next title. Hell it may already be in development. I would say a Last of Us sequel is anything but "inevitable"

#8 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -

I'd want a prequel set in the 20 years between the outbreak and the events of the game. Maybe from the perspective of characters who are not Ellie and Joel, but I want to see how the military gained control and established a curfew; how people decided to rebel against them out of a possible altruistic stance and becoming hunters, only to become monsters as well as how the Fireflies came to be.

I think it could be interesting. Still, I'd rather there be no sequel or prequel as TLoU sits really well as a standalone game, but I'd have confidence that another game in the series would be great.

#9 Posted by TurboMan (7512 posts) -

I don't ever want to see Ellie and Joel again. That stories done.

I wouldn't mind exploring the universe again from another part of the world, however... but I'd be more interested if Naughty Dog continued doing other IPs

#10 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

I want to play as one of the hunters in Pittsburg. Me and a friend are taken in by the group of bandits at a young age, we learn how to survive in the harsh world, raiding on passing civilians, becoming brutal monsters. Then one day Joel comes to town and kills my friend and then me as he's passing through. Brutal end to a brutal world. I want him to kill the character with a Shiv to the neck.

#11 Edited by Raineko (433 posts) -

I don't know how they would do it but I really wanna see more of Ellie (and maybe Joel as well). There is so much room after this ending.

I didn't really care so much about the other characters.

#12 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

IF (or at this point probably WHEN) they make it I'd want the story to have some connection to Joel and Ellie. I wouldn't mind playing as an adult Ellie which would obviously work well especially since she would be still infected and that could factor into some gameplay elements like Joel's super hearing.

#13 Posted by SoulCandi (1 posts) -

Hell yeah, there should be a sequel! Yes, Joel and Elle's storie is done, but Elle is still the cure! Her story should go on. I have no clue how the sequel would possibly go about, maybe after a few years Elle finds out that Joel was lying to her the whole time and she rebels. So you would get to play as older teenage Elle, being a complete bad ass that she is.

#14 Posted by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that they said they're done with that story line. They would have to create a whole new story in my opinion. A sequel with the same characters would ruin it for me, and taint the first one also.

#15 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

The Ellie and Joel storyline is over. Maybe we'll get to see Ellie in the DLC.(there's still some time between where Joel got injured and the 'Winter' chapter.)

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

The story in this game is over to me. If they want to tell other stories in that universe though then I'm more than willing to listen.

#17 Posted by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

Joel and Ellie are the entire game, and their story is over, so making a sequel is pointless. I would be far more interested in seeing them create a whole new world. Yes they did the whole Zombie thing as well or better than anyone else, they carved out their own niche with how distinct clickers are, and setting it so long after the outbreak gave them a lot of unique twists to play with. But my patience for the setting barely managed to hold throughout the game. No matter how well you do it, or how little you focus on it, eventually there are going to be diminishing returns on Zombie shit.

#18 Posted by Angouri (231 posts) -

Can I get another game from that team? I really don't need another game with Joel and Ellie, but I would like to see what else naughty dog has brewing. They have a pretty good track record... ( jak 1 and uncharted 1 being low points for me)

#19 Posted by eskimo (476 posts) -

Don't need a sequel, and I really appreciated the completely closed story arc without any of the usual bullshit loose thread sequel setups. Fuck people who compromise their story for businessing.

#20 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

No please do not make a sequel. Do not make another Uncharted.

Do make another Crash Bandicoot.

#21 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Well there's DLC first; if there is a sequel it won't be finished for at least 3 years so pretty pointless to worry about it right now.

#22 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

I could see some side stories DLC but out right sequels...meh.

#23 Edited by 49th (2735 posts) -

The game ended on a cliffhanger, Joel and Ellie's story is certainly not done. Fair enough not wanting to see a sequel but nothing about the ending was wrapped up neatly - it was pretty much the definition of a cliffhanger ending.

Personally, I don't mind if they have new protagonists or the same ones. Just don't make another Uncharted game.

#24 Posted by HouseOfBalloons (46 posts) -

No sequel, please. The game was crafted beautifully from beginning to end. Can't we just leave it at that?

#25 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Yes a sequel where you can't swim.....hello Assassin's Creed 1 days!

#26 Edited by Vertrucio (148 posts) -

All the swimming segments, and a lot slower parts were there to hide background loading. You'll notice they were all before major changes in scenery. With better hardware, they can probably have Ellie learn to swim.

A sequel will be fine guys, while yes, Joel and Ellie's story is over, and yes, the themes in their story are done for that setting, there is still plenty of human drama to be had. A story about loss, finding a daughter or father figure, companionship, and survival are just one aspect of the human drama, there's plenty more to tell.

What I want from the inevitable sequel is for them to tell the story of a survivor colony, starting from the time they first settle down in a new area.

The the extra power of next gen consoles to render larger areas, with more characters, so you can more easily have an ensemble cast without having to kill them off just so you can add more later.

#27 Posted by ColdPhone (60 posts) -

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Ish subplot. I'd like to see DLC following him in some capacity.

#28 Edited by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

I wouldn't mind it if it became similar to Fallout where each game is a new tale of life in the post-apocalyptic wasteland with only small references and cameos by characters from previous games.

#29 Edited by Vertrucio (148 posts) -

You can bet that Ish will show up again.

He escaped with one woman and some kids, from all those people. It'll be interesting to have a story of him trying to start a new settlement, but also him struggling with the failure of his last survivor colony. It may not have been his fault directly, he was the leader of the group.

#30 Posted by red0herring (1 posts) -

I would like to see a sequel dubbed "The Last of Them." with a plot surrounding the mystery of who "Them" could be.

#31 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'm not sure I understand why people don't want sequels. I mean, what's the problem? It's not like it forever replaces and erases the original. It still exists and no one forces you to play the newest itteration.

#32 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@klei: For me its because I want to see what else Naughty Dog can do. Same reason I don't want them to make Uncharted 4 on the PS4. I'd probably enjoy a sequel if they made one, but I'd be a little disappointed that they didn't make something completely new.

#33 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2691 posts) -

I for one don't see them making a sequel. At a certain point I think they noticed that it was not the game itself that sold this game world as much as it was 'their name' on it. For a rollicking adventure story that copies a 1930s movie-serial the creation of multiple Uncharted games made sense. The Last of Us seems like the quintessential 'one off' because that name, story, setting is not needed to boost their next project.

I could go into why I don't think they need one more, but people get upset when you talk about issues with of something they liked.

#34 Edited by LackingSaint (1791 posts) -

The Last of Us is a really really great game, but the setting is by far the least interesting/notable thing about it. It's just zombies. We don't need a sequel.

#35 Posted by Mocca_Bear (62 posts) -

If they have to create a non direct sequel how about an post-apocalypse European setting? New enemy's could be created due to different fungal strands, lots of geographical diversity, and the entire idea would be pretty "fresh". I mean we know what happened to the States in the 20 odd years after the intro of the first game. What about the rest of the world?

#36 Edited by Glottery (1225 posts) -

I still remember reading news about this months before the game's release, reclaiming that this was supposed to be a trilogy. After having played it, I personally would be fine with ending Joel & Ellie's journey that way, but wouldn't mind exploring the world with other people, like some have already suggested.

But of course, the best thing would be Naughty Dog releasing a completely new IP on PS4.

#37 Edited by Blackout62 (1339 posts) -
@bleshoo said:

The Second Last of Us.

The Lastest of Us

Four The Last of Us

The La5t of Us

The Last of Us 6: The Last Last of Us

Last of Us (2029) [The inevitable "drop the 'the'" reboot]

And then of course there's a kart racing game because Naughty Dog but I can't think of a pun as good as the elusive Unkarted: Sully's Outback Adventure.

#38 Posted by Castiel (2580 posts) -

I hope we never see a sequel. I loved the game, but ND is such a talented developer that I just want to see them move on to new projects. But I'm sure Sony is pushing them to make TLOU 2 and it's probably going to happen. But the reason for me that TLOU worked so well was because it's a story about characters and not the world. The world they created is awesome and very believable in its own way, but it was created to tell the story of Joel and Ellie. That story is done now and therefore I'm not really that interested in seing a sequel.

#39 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

I would actually love a sequel, but I would only want it set in the same universe. The Joel / Ellie story is done.

#40 Posted by Conzed92 (166 posts) -

I guess this could go on in very much the same way it happened for Metal Gears. Hasn't every Gear game since the first one supposedly been the "last one"?.

#41 Posted by Random45 (1158 posts) -

I'd want a prequel set in the 20 years between the outbreak and the events of the game. Maybe from the perspective of characters who are not Ellie and Joel, but I want to see how the military gained control and established a curfew; how people decided to rebel against them out of a possible altruistic stance and becoming hunters, only to become monsters as well as how the Fireflies came to be.

I think it could be interesting. Still, I'd rather there be no sequel or prequel as TLoU sits really well as a standalone game, but I'd have confidence that another game in the series would be great.

I would actually want the sequel to be the beginning of the outbreak, because the opening half hour of this game was absolutely fantastic. I know it's a cliche point to start any game from, but man it would be fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.