The Last of Us: not as scripted as you may think

#1 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -
IGN

So apparently that whole thing played out differently than what we saw. That "ever so out of place" ladder doesn't exist. There is a lot more focus on exploring and finding items that you can use to craft other items with, and you can totally tackle those enemies differently than a knockdown-dragout brawl.

Seems to me like the weirdly-non-functioning stealth from Uncharted has been fixed to the point of it being a viable option as opposed to open gunfighting.

When Ellie asked Joel if he wanted to go around the looters last time, he seemed to do just that. This time, he went straight at their location. Rather than go through the doorway, Joel ran up to the broken windows and waited for the enemies to disperse. Then, he hurled a beer bottle into the room on the far left and waited for a guy to come investigate. Joel hopped in, took him hostage, and choked him out. Rather than engage the rest of the enemies, Joel and Ellie took off in a new direction.

The game certainly has a lot more depth than "shoot this guy, get forced into a scripted battle with this guy, and then burn this guy". GET HYPE.
#2 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Great, just what I was hoping for then.

#3 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

This isn't really anything new, the presentation is just fooling people. This game looks amazing but the fact you can stealth or gun blaze isn't a new concept.

The fact it was done to this level of intensity and visual presentation is perhaps something to get excited over, but this isn't a new step in AI like I've seen some people praising.

#4 Posted by BBQBram (2236 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx: Fair enough, but all he was saying is that the actual game isn't as scripted as the on-stage demo made it look. That's definitely a good thing.

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

@BBQBram said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx: Fair enough, but all he was saying is that the actual game isn't as scripted as the on-stage demo made it look. That's definitely a good thing.

Agreed I may be getting a little hyped for this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.