Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

The Last Of Us Remastered Reviews: It Can't Be For Nothing

• 97 results
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix
    No Caption Provided

The remastered version includes the Left Behind & Multiplayer maps DLC with the base game. It has been upgraded to 1080p / 60 FPS with an optional 30 FPS lock. Reviews have been coming out and as you expect this game is alright.

IGN - 10/10 - Whether you’ve already experienced it on PlayStation 3 or have no idea what you’re missing, The Last of Us: Remastered is worth your time and attention. PlayStation 3’s best game just became PlayStation 4’s, too.

Videogamer - 10/10 - All told, The Last of Us Remastered is the best version of one of the last generation's best games. Those expecting it to look totally 'next-gen' may be disappointed, as even at its peak it resembles a last-generation game being played at Ultra settings on PC. Still, it's obvious a lot of work and care has gone into this, and it will please both newcomers and old fans alike.

Game Informer - 10/10 - All the graphical improvements are wonderful, but you may be wondering if The Last of Us Remastered is for you. Like the best visual updates, Remastered plays like you remember it. If you played 2013's Game of the Year near release and have been dying to return to the dark tale, then this is a great opportunity. If you never played The Last of Us at all, this is absolutely the way to do it. But be careful - you'll never want to go back to the PS3 original again after reveling in all the improvements.

Polygon - 8/10 (PS3 Review 7.5) - I might not adore The Last of Us as much as the crowd that Remastered is clearly targeting, but I can't help but appreciate the enthusiasm that has gone into this edition. It reminds me of a great Director's Cut DVD of a beloved movie — a collection of everything a fan could want and a celebration of it at the same time. It's another sign that Naughty Dog understands and respects its fan base, and if nothing else, that's worth supporting.

More reviews will be coming soon. I might be in the minority but i am really looking forward to playing the Multiplayer again. The Single player experience will be better with the increased performance.

Okay Amazon don't fuck this up buddy.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By iceman228433

I preordered the digital version today before the Reviews now I am glad I did lol. You can really tell how much of a difference the frame rate makes it looks like a new game at this point.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@bigjeffrey: Oh Arthur Gies, you gave Dead Space 3 9/10 and now you're a constant source of amusement for me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

The Last of Us is still good a year after release. SURPRISE!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

@adam1808 said:

@bigjeffrey: Oh Arthur Gies, you gave Dead Space 3 9/10 and now you're a constant source of amusement for me.

I would say I enjoyed playing Dead Space 3 more than The Last of Us. The narrative in Last of Us is a crowning achievement for emotional storytelling in gaming, the gameplay is not. Although I will agree that Arthur Gies is not qualified to review anything, I will also say that it's not such a crazy notion to not be completely enamored by this game.

EDIT: I also think it's kind of funny this is getting reviewed again. Are we seeing scores for the graphical overhaul or is this actually being treated as a completely separate product?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arthur Gies didn't review The Last of Us, nor did he update the review.

Also, he was right about Dead Space 3. >_>

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

Surprised to see the game dipping down into the high 40's in the Digital Foundry frame rate test. For the most part it's stable at 60 though, which I hope sets the stage for other PS4 games going forward.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Excited to play again, plus the downloadable content. The multiplayer didn't do much for me though. I'd love to see the Uncharted games given this treatment, never forget seeing that video of Uncharted 3 running at 60fps, looked gorgeous.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hassun

What I want to know (and would love to have confirmation of) is if the European version of the multiplayer is censored just like the PS3 version.

If anyone can confirm this I would very much like to know so I can opt to import the game instead of buying it locally.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By BonOrbitz

I'm excited to pick this up! I'm not going to get a PS4 until the white Destiny system bundle drops in September, but I have to get it now if I'm to take advantage of the 50% off deal Gamestop is offering.

I hope more games will get released with the "remastered" approach because of the current gen systems' lack of backwards compatibility.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Are you going to complain about Jeff giving Last of Us an 8.9 next?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

What are they reviewing? The Last of Us, or its technical improvements?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good thing the price of these remasters is never factored into the reviews.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Good job Naughty Dog, you made a PS3 game look better on a more powerful system.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By turboman

Both? I think a good way to approach reviewing this is to come from it at an "What if I never played The Last of Us" angle.

I gave my PS3 away and I never got to play Left Behind... I might wanna hop back in.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Surprised to see the game dipping down into the high 40's in the Digital Foundry frame rate test. For the most part it's stable at 60 though, which I hope sets the stage for other PS4 games going forward.

The game was amazing/lauded as a masterpiece at sub 30. It's cool that they increased it, but the fact of the matter is that "console gamers" don't really care about frame rate and probably never will. Console games will never consistently hit 60 fps because developers like pushing visual fidelity over it. Instead, games that benefit the most from higher framerate will optimize/develop around 60fps (fighting games, shooters, competitive game, etc) and everyone else will target a stable framerate around 30 (fun fact: I asked Tommy Refenes what he thought about framerate gate for these new consoles and he said maintaining a stable framerate is what developers should strive for).

This really isn't setting the stage for anything on ps4 because it's an HD remaster of a ps3 game. It wasn't built from the ground up for ps4 and it was probably difficult to port from ps3-ps4 properly (I actually think I heard somewhere that it was). And when the next Uncharted comes to ps4 I bet you a million salty bucks it will target 30 over 60. It's the way the cookie crumbles with console games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@turboman said:

@video_game_king said:

Both? I think a good way to approach reviewing this is to come from it at an "What if I never played The Last of Us" angle.

So this would essentially be a review of The Last of Us? There's just something about this that rubs me the wrong way.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: All those reviews purely cover the improvements made to the game. I don't really see the problem.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By EuanDewar

@rongalaxy said:
    @mb said:

The game was amazing/lauded as a masterpiece at sub 30. It's cool that they increased it, but the fact of the matter is that "console gamers" don't really care about frame rate and probably never will.

I don't know that they don't have the capacity to care, rather that they just don't know enough to do so. I'm also not sure that "console gamers" is the right audience to point to in this case. Sure, someone who just plays on consoles is gonna inherently encounter less discussion in general about framerate but there's still a ton of people who fit into that group that are knowledgeable on the matter. I know I was one until I got a PC.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@rongalaxy said:
    @mb said:

The game was amazing/lauded as a masterpiece at sub 30. It's cool that they increased it, but the fact of the matter is that "console gamers" don't really care about frame rate and probably never will.

I don't know that they don't have the capacity to care, rather that they just don't know enough to do so. I'm also not sure that "console gamers" is the right audience to point to in this case. Sure, someone who just plays on consoles is gonna inherently encounter less discussion in general about framerate but there's still a ton of people who fit into that group that are knowledgeable on the matter. I know I was one until I got a PC.

60fps may be nice, but every time someone complains that a game isn't running at a perfect 60fps all of the time, or is only a consistent 30, my eyes just gloss over because I seriously just don't care that much about framerate for it to matter.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EuanDewar

@hailinel said:

@euandewar said:

@rongalaxy said:
    @mb said:

60fps may be nice, but every time someone complains that a game isn't running at a perfect 60fps all of the time, or is only a consistent 30, my eyes just gloss over because I seriously just don't care that much about framerate for it to matter.

And that's cool but I still think there's a lot of people who would care.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By conmulligan

@adam1808 said:

Phil Kollar reviewed The Last of Us for Polygon, not Arthur Gies. Also, complaining about review scores is, always has been and always shall be the dumbest thing.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RonGalaxy

@euandewar said:

@rongalaxy said:
    @mb said:

Is it really a lot of people though? What is your definition of a lot of people in this situation? out of the millions of people who play console games how many do you think care about framerate? It seems like a lot because a lot of people talk about it on gaming sites, but the audience of people who really take part in these communities is nothing compared to the amount of people who play console games.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

The game was amazing/lauded as a masterpiece at sub 30. It's cool that they increased it, but the fact of the matter is that "console gamers" don't really care about frame rate and probably never will. Console games will never consistently hit 60 fps because developers like pushing visual fidelity over it. Instead, games that benefit the most from higher framerate will optimize/develop around 60fps (fighting games, shooters, competitive game, etc) and everyone else will target a stable framerate around 30 (fun fact: I asked Tommy Refenes what he thought about framerate gate for these new consoles and he said maintaining a stable framerate is what developers should strive for).

This really isn't setting the stage for anything on ps4 because it's an HD remaster of a ps3 game. It wasn't built from the ground up for ps4 and it was probably difficult to port from ps3-ps4 properly (I actually think I heard somewhere that it was). And when the next Uncharted comes to ps4 I bet you a million salty bucks it will target 30 over 60. It's the way the cookie crumbles with console games.

Naughty Dog has already said they are targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4. They even released a 60fps version of that first trailer. Now, achieving 60fps with the fidelity the game has already displayed will certainly be a much more challenging task than getting a port of a PS3 game to run at 60, but Naughty Dog have time and again proven to be technical wizards when it comes to getting stuff running on consoles.

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_4_a_thiefs_end_2014_e3_trailer/

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: As far as I know, but there might be some issues with DLC and/or European PSN accounts with a US copy.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Well I sure as shit am not going to support censorship so it better work.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I think it's enough people that I would make the distinction.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Porting a Last of Us size game to PS4 in the time, and with the quality, they did is actually an amazing feat.

I wish people had any respect for game engineers.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll respect them for making the PS3 game look magnificent. I'm not taking a peek at the remaster til I've finished the vanilla game.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As someone who never played it on the PS3 because my PS3 died in March of 2013 after a nice long life, I'm really excited to finally get to see this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might play it again on Normal, because I played it on Hard and that makes the clicker sequences into the most frustrating stealth since 2002.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think i would pick it up again even if i had a PS4. Certainly not at full price.

It's a great game to be sure and i liked it enough to make it my GOTY last year but after a year i get a strong feeling it's not going to become a timeless classic for me. It's a great game of its time that comes and goes and one which i'll forget about eventually. In large part because where the game succeeds the most, it does so in spite of being a game.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did they need to review this? Isn't it just a prettier version of The Last of Us?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to skip it, but since I can trade in the PS3 version at Gamestop for half off I'll pull the trigger. Finally get on the Left Behind DLC and possibly get into the multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus Christ, it's coming back to me now. All the perfect scores and shit this game got really annoyed the shit out of me back then. It's a VERY good game, but it's not perfect.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adam1808 said:

Uh, you guys do know that Phil Kollar reviewed The Last of Us, right?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

Jesus Christ, it's coming back to me now. All the perfect scores and shit this game got really annoyed the shit out of me back then. It's a VERY good game, but it's not perfect.

I wouldn't even call it a very good game. I enjoyed my time with it for the most part (aside from the awful first chapter), but it's definitely one of the very few games where I just don't " get " why so many people think it's a masterpiece.

Maybe once this drops way down in price I'll give it another go and see if my opinion on it changes.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@random45 said:

I don't think anyone is saying it is. 10/10 doesn't mean its perfect that doesn't exist its merely a indication that its receiving the highest recommendation from whatever outlet scored it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another digital purchase coming back to bite me in the ass. No way am I buying TLOU when I still have it on my PS3. Not at full price.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@random45 said:

I don't see why that would annoy you, unless you have a personal thing against Last of Us or Naughty Dog. It was a fantastic game in pretty much every respect, which is why it got the scores that it did.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Apparently Gamestop is doing a deal where if you trade in your ps3 copy, you get Remastered half off. That means I'll be picking this up tomorrow. Time for a third playthrough and many more hours spent in Factions.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@euandewar: There are. Those precious few seconds where you look at the ground and everything moves super-smooth. Ahhhh. 60FPS.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@gaspower: Just going off the picture. Phil Kollar is a numpty too if he thinks the Last of Us is just good.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Oh, really video game press outlets? You're saying that a better looking version of a game you gave near perfect scores to last year will get them this year too? Get outta here.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

My review for last of us remastered: "It's still the same game."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.