Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

This game is slightly overrated.

• 115 results
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yummylee: Yes.. once again we clash. Granted I haven't finished it but I'm at the town with booby traps and were going after the battery. By this point I assume I've seen the bulk of what the gameplay will be like. The shooting is simply not very good but I understand there is a narrative reason for that. Ok, make it wobbly, make it more "realistic" but then don't make enemies take multiple shots to the chest to kill. It is pretty difficult to get headshots, especially when you're swarmed by 3-4 enemies at once. This makes the gunplay seem to have no "kick" as you said. When I got a revolver I assumed it would be this powerful hand cannon with a slow reload, but it seems to be just as ditzy as the 9mm. Melee combat feels awkward and simplistic as I just mash on square and watch Joel wail on my opponent. The way he will smash enemies into walls and such when you're near them is a neat touch but it all feels very hands off. Also one hit kill enemies are cheap and break up the flow of gameplay. By now Clickers have become a source of dread for me, but not because I'm genuinely frightened of them but rather because they're such a chore to get around.

I like the story, and the voice acting is top notch. Maybe I've played too many post apocalyptic games this generation but having to traverse through these broken down husks doesn't do anything for me anymore. Everything is fucked up and broken, time to move a garbage can over to get up to this ledge, another room with broken desks. I don't know what it is. I was really excited for this game after seeing all the trailers but apart from the great VO I'm just not feeling anything. The gameplay is really simplistic and so far it's just boiled down to an often times tedious crouch-marathon through "puzzle ruins" except unlike games like Uncharted, Enslaved or Tomb Raider there is no tension in the traversal. Since this game is grounded a lot more in reality the act of making your way from point A to B is oftentimes quite mundane.

I'm glad you're enjoying it (enjoyed it) and I wish I could feel likewise but unfortunately I just don't.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee

@ares42 said:

@yummylee said:

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

Nope, I think The Last of Us totally lived up to the hype.

The gameplay is pretty average. It's basically a second rate stealth game without the full nuance of a real stealth game.

Average? Are you serious? Both the gunplay and the melee combat have an incredible kick to them, which when combined with the lack of ammunition, makes every bullet feel special; every a headshot is a victory worth celebrating. The stealth is simplistic, but works within the confines of how the enemies function. Plus the game is primarily a mix of both stealth and combat; you're to often try and stealth-kill as many enemies as you can before you sometimes invariably get caught and start shooting. Plus just because you're caught, that doesn't mean you can't get away again and go back to sleuthing around the environment.

We have had our differences concerning... well, just about every recent game I can remember that we've discussed. But The Last of Us one game where I can't relate to your perspective. The combat in this game was one of my favourite aspects of the whole game.

The melee combat = mash square, not really very engaging. And the gunplay falls under the good old "realism and games doesn't mix well". As for the ammo situation, it might be because I play on normal but it seems to have dynamic ammo drops so the lack of ammo comes off as much more dire than it really is. Every time I've gone full commando I suddenly get a bunch of ammo from enemies (to the point that sometimes I come out with more than I spent).

The stealth is fine, but I think there was a moment in the QL that crystalized the main issue with it. Ryan asked how you knew if an enemy could see you or not, an expectation of clarity we have from modern stealth-based games, which doesn't exist at all in Last of Us. It is very much in the old tradition of going by feel and suddenly being discovered by something you didn't expect would notice you.

The gameplay is by no means horrible, but like certain other games I find that every gameplay session ends with me at the beginning of a new gameplay segment without the willingness to slog my way through to the next storybeat.

The melee isn't the draw, though, it's meant to be a last-resort sorta deal considering that it's rare that you also won't get hurt yourself when getting involved in a scuffle; plus you occasionally have to counter with triangle if an enemy has his own melee weapon. I don't see what you mean with ''realism and games doesn't mix'', though. The way you aim your weapons, while a little more difficult than what we're used to, still works so as long as you take your time. Not to mention if you also invest in the decreased weapon-sway abilities.

Also, I always knew when I was going to be spotted when in the middle of stealth. With the human enemies, there's a noise that'll grow louder if you're in the enemies sight (kinda video-game-y, but eh, it's useful all the same). With stuff like the runners, it's pretty much the same deal, but you also need to move all the slower because of their heightened sense of hearing. And of course it should go without saying that you make liberal use of Joel's... super-listening power or whatever to keep an eye on where everything is.

As for ammo, well, I played it on hard mode and the only times that I was ever stuffed with ammo was when the game gives it to you, and that's often because you're going to need it because it's a mandatory action-sequence.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Yummylee

@ares42: The melee isn't the draw, though, it's meant to be a last-resort sorta deal considering that it's rare that you also won't get hurt yourself when getting involved in a scuffle; plus you occasionally have to counter with triangle if an enemy has his own melee weapon. I don't see what you mean with ''realism and games doesn't mix'', though. The way you aim your weapons, while a little more difficult than what we're used to, still works so as long as you take your time. Not to mention if you also invest in the decreased weapon-sway abilities.

Also, I always knew when I was going to be spotted when in the middle of stealth. With the human enemies, there's a noise that'll grow louder if you're in the enemies sight (kinda video-game-y, but eh, it's useful all the same). With stuff like the runners, it's pretty much the same deal , though it's a lot harsher since as soon as you're in their sight, you're spotted. That and you also need to move all the slower because of their heightened sense of hearing. And of course it should go without saying that you make liberal use of Joel's... super-listening power or whatever to keep an eye on where everything is.

As for ammo, well, I played it on hard mode and the only times that I was ever stuffed with ammo was when the game gives it to you, and that's often because you're going to need it because it's a mandatory action-sequence.

edit: well, that was weird. thread kinda broke for a while there.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Yummylee

@humanity: When you're swarmed by enemies that's often your cue to run, though. The shooting is usually meant to service one-on-one encounters, like after you've taken one guy hostage and you're staring down another. Otherwise running away, maybe making a molotov if you have the necessary resources, and waiting for them to follow into your trap is your alternate solution. Or again just trying to lose their sight so you can try and stealth-kill a couple more. The clickers one hit kills will no doubt be annoying to some, but the game places you back in the game pretty quickly and checkpoints are often rather generous at that. Plus it's a perfect method in making you fear for whenever you, for example, turn around a corner to spot one slowly fidgeting towards you. If it kills you, yeah you'll find that annoying, but if you're able to shiv it if not just escape its clutches, then it's an incredibly satisfying victory. That's how I see things anyway.

Tbh I'm kinda glad that this game is turning out to be so divisive, because that's pretty much the calling card of this style of survival-horror-esque gameplay. It's a love it or hate it kinda deal. It's why I'm expecting that The Evil Within will inspire such dissenting opinions, considering it sounds like it's shaping up much like how The Last of Us plays. Stealth gameplay, limited ammo, setting up traps ect.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I don't think it's divisive I'm pretty sure (as usual) you're just wrong!

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Klei

The gameplay is totally fine by me. I dig how messy it is, how uneasy it is to carefully shoot and how shit always hits the fan. It makes for some very entertaining encounter, which my girlfriend just love to watch as I play. Headshotting a guy with the bow and arrow, shiving another only to get spotted, forcing you to retreat behind cover. Then, pulling out a sugar bomb to stop the incoming bullets, leaving your foes in disarray. Then, rushing it with a brick toss at an unsuspecting adversary, grabbing him as he's dazed, killing another dude, disposing of your meat shield and rushing back to cover, only to toss a molotov in the face of two thugs, who burns in screams.

THIS is how you make an unpredictable survival game. You rarely stay behind cover, sucking your thumb and hoping for headshots. Because in a matter of seconds, someone will grab you from behind and force you into brutal melee. Sure, its hard to pull off headshots before you get the weapon sway perk, but who cares? It's so much more fun that way. Getting silent kills with the bow? Priceless too. Because each kill have to be earned.

I don't like the dodgy framerate, but since this game is quite slow-paced, I can forgive it a lot easier. Now I just wish for the inevitable '' PS4 '' revamp at 60 FPS in one year.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@yummylee: I don't think it's divisive I'm pretty sure (as usual) you're just wrong!

... >=/

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Next thing you'll tell me is that Remember Me isn't a really good game that was way underappreciated by gaming press ..

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I give it an 8.8, you guys.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#63  Edited By Undeadpool

But a 10/10 NEVER means "game is perfect," or if it does the reviewer is either lying to themselves or playing Earthbound (the only piece of entertainment to achieve actual, true perfection).

I know it's a bit trite to say "reviews are opinions," but I feel like that's being trumpeted without realizing how TRUE it is. And yes, the perfect scores are "sweeping," because multiple people wrote those reviews and they don't (and shouldn't) account for one another.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The age of 10/10 being a true perfect game is over. Even as a game that its true value is 9/10, just having a new IP made in this day and age should sufficient to bump that to a ten.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninessc2 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Slightly? It's massively overrated.

Graphically it just looks really rough.

aaaaaand I stopped reading your post.

Guess you need to get your eyes checked. You should look into that.

@ninessc2 said:
    @kishinfoulux said:

You should check out his other posts about The last of us it hurts my brain looking at them.

Translation: Waaaaaaaaaah I don't agree with you and I'm not slobbering over the game like others so I must be wrong.

I've pointed out legit problems with the game. As usual gaming media and gamers ignore them though because "oh hey isn't this game pretty wheeeeeee it's so linear but I don't care". One of the many reasons I can't take reviews seriously. You can't just glance over that stuff and disregard it.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker said:

A sure 5/5. But on a 10 point scale I would give it a 8.5-9. Definitely not a sweeping 10/10 perfect game.

No Caption Provided

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A sure 5/5. But on a 10 point scale I would give it a 8.5-9. Definitely not a sweeping 10/10 perfect game.

There's something wrong here...

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@yummylee: Yes.. once again we clash. Granted I haven't finished it but I'm at the town with booby traps and were going after the battery. By this point I assume I've seen the bulk of what the gameplay will be like. The shooting is simply not very good but I understand there is a narrative reason for that. Ok, make it wobbly, make it more "realistic" but then don't make enemies take multiple shots to the chest to kill. It is pretty difficult to get headshots, especially when you're swarmed by 3-4 enemies at once. This makes the gunplay seem to have no "kick" as you said. When I got a revolver I assumed it would be this powerful hand cannon with a slow reload, but it seems to be just as ditzy as the 9mm. Melee combat feels awkward and simplistic as I just mash on square and watch Joel wail on my opponent. The way he will smash enemies into walls and such when you're near them is a neat touch but it all feels very hands off. Also one hit kill enemies are cheap and break up the flow of gameplay. By now Clickers have become a source of dread for me, but not because I'm genuinely frightened of them but rather because they're such a chore to get around.

I like the story, and the voice acting is top notch. Maybe I've played too many post apocalyptic games this generation but having to traverse through these broken down husks doesn't do anything for me anymore. Everything is fucked up and broken, time to move a garbage can over to get up to this ledge, another room with broken desks. I don't know what it is. I was really excited for this game after seeing all the trailers but apart from the great VO I'm just not feeling anything. The gameplay is really simplistic and so far it's just boiled down to an often times tedious crouch-marathon through "puzzle ruins" except unlike games like Uncharted, Enslaved or Tomb Raider there is no tension in the traversal. Since this game is grounded a lot more in reality the act of making your way from point A to B is oftentimes quite mundane.

I'm glad you're enjoying it (enjoyed it) and I wish I could feel likewise but unfortunately I just don't.

This is exactly how I feel about this game, so far, and I'm as far as you. Maybe with a little more emphasis on those Clickers. Pass/Fail enemy encounters are the worst. It feels super lazy on the part of Naughty Dog to include them IMO. Just make a 4-5 pack of Runners; they're just as deadly, and communicate to you that you should find a way around them, but can fight them head on if you have (and don't mind wasting) the supplies.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mrfluke

playing it today and yea its a BIT overated, i personally prefer bioshock infinite over this.

also i dunno i find it a bit more uncharted than i thought.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By GnaTSoL

If a story is only alright just cause it went the zombie route, then that saddens me. We surely are going through an overdose of zombie stuff but the surrounding elements to that game/story are absolutely amazing.

Don't discount games or look to debunk the swell of positivity. You'll get bummed regardless. Embrace and delve properly into the game, every game of at least standard quality deserves that.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

Two days, that was quick.

We need to wait a full week. By then, it'll be scorned at as 'mainstream drivel' as opposed to just being 'slightly overrated.'

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Rasmoss

I'm nearing the end, and my main problem with it is that I'm getting tired of the combat. It was really great in moderation, but now it's just combat scenario after combat scenario with tons of dudes. It's not even hard, it's just a grind. And it takes out of the realism. By now Joel and Ellie are basically just the bogstandard video game "I can take on 50 dudes and live"-characters, that I thought they were trying to avoid.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not overrated from what I've played (which granted is just the beginning) Love this game - agree with the review so far!

Just bought it and posted a VERY SPOLIERY set of video impressions about the opening. Watch if ya like :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35f39pQGk54

AnyGamer

Rating it by just the opening isn't a good idea though, since It's by far the best part of the game (in my opinion). If I were to rate the game solely by its intro, then yeah, I would definitely give it a 10/10 - this game has one hell of a good first impression.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By colourful_hippie

Who would have expected that the game reviewers shouting the citizen kane bullshit were actually the typical kind of people that easily get swept up by the hype? It's a great, well made, game with a story that so far (haven't finished it yet) has already been told many times before....at least this retelling is a good one.

@jasonr86 said:

This thread took longer to come then I expected.

and this.

@armaan8014 said:

i came here to console myself cause its not for the PC T_T .

still feel terrible

Ugh, imagine if it was! The game is already having trouble maintaining 30 for large parts of the game. If the game wasn't already slow-paced the framerate issues would be a bigger problem because it would break the experience for me. 60 frames would be fucking glorious.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it is still pretty great. A sure 5/5. But on a 10 point scale I would give it a 8.5-9.

No. This is a silly thing to say. Forget about the video game, I reject quoted statement on principle.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By AssInAss

I am going to say two things. Nothing is perfect in this world and The Last of Us will be remembered, talked about, argued and lauded over for many years.

Why? Is it groundbreaking in something like last year's Spec Ops The Line did about violence in games, the hero fantasy, and the examination of military shooters? Haven't played the game or have a PS3 at the moment, so I'm curious.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninessc2 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

He does have a point, Ive noticed objects vanish and reappearing, ive watched parts of the map become pure white, then fill back in, can defo tell theres no AA on the game as objects look jaggy and specially noticeble on character models when they stand in certain lighting. Sometimes when you start a choke hold animation, the enemy vanishes then quickly appears in the "being choked" animation. In my recording on youtube, there is a part where the enemy walks right into Ellie, and im right next to Ellie, but he dosent register her existence, and as a result it acts like I am behind cover and he cant see me too. Its a good game, really good game, but it does seem like alot of people are sweeping those things under the rug and makes everyone like "Yay, best game ever!", yet the reviewers that spot these things as negatives like they are supposed to, get flamed and doubted.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By sasnake

@ares42 said:

@yummylee said:

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

Nope, I think The Last of Us totally lived up to the hype.

The gameplay is pretty average. It's basically a second rate stealth game without the full nuance of a real stealth game.

Average? Are you serious? Both the gunplay and the melee combat have an incredible kick to them, which when combined with the lack of ammunition, makes every bullet feel special; every a headshot is a victory worth celebrating. The stealth is simplistic, but works within the confines of how the enemies function. Plus the game is primarily a mix of both stealth and combat; you're to often try and stealth-kill as many enemies as you can before you sometimes invariably get caught and start shooting. Plus just because you're caught, that doesn't mean you can't get away again and go back to sleuthing around the environment.

We have had our differences concerning... well, just about every recent game I can remember that we've discussed. But The Last of Us one game where I can't relate to your perspective. The combat in this game was one of my favourite aspects of the whole game.

The melee combat = mash square, not really very engaging. And the gunplay falls under the good old "realism and games doesn't mix well". As for the ammo situation, it might be because I play on normal but it seems to have dynamic ammo drops so the lack of ammo comes off as much more dire than it really is. Every time I've gone full commando I suddenly get a bunch of ammo from enemies (to the point that sometimes I come out with more than I spent).

The stealth is fine, but I think there was a moment in the QL that crystalized the main issue with it. Ryan asked how you knew if an enemy could see you or not, an expectation of clarity we have from modern stealth-based games, which doesn't exist at all in Last of Us. It is very much in the old tradition of going by feel and suddenly being discovered by something you didn't expect would notice you.

The gameplay is by no means horrible, but like certain other games I find that every gameplay session ends with me at the beginning of a new gameplay segment without the willingness to slog my way through to the next storybeat.

You can tell the enemy can see you, because a kinda..wind sound kicks in, and it gets louder and louder until BOOM spotted.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I finished it today, it was pretty rad.

Giraffes 5/5

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assinass: its not a commentary on violence in gaming in the same way spec ops was, but it does do an admiarable job of making the player feel like shit after each kill.

Its aims are much higher than that. Not only does it completely subvert what is expected from naughty dog and the post apocolyptic genre, it also succeeds at discussing humanity and human choice in ways I have never seen before (in video games or otherwise).

Its the first piece of media/art that has made me feel physically anxious/ill.

The gameplay succeeds at making the player feel completely vulnerable (play it on hard). It isnt a fun game to play (in the same way a movie like the pianist is not fun to watch), but it still desverves to be played.

Its unclenchingly brutal and raw; each violent act has impact

If you like what spec ops did, I urge you to buy a ps3 and play this game. In my opinion, its worth more than the asking price

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninessc2 said:
    @kishinfoulux said:

@ninessc2 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Guess you need to get your eyes checked. You should look into that.

My eyes are fine, buddy. Unlike your objectivity. The fact that you pick the graphics of all things as the first thing to shit on, automatically removes all validity from anything you actually say. Either you're a huge troll, or you're just one of those people who view the world through black and white lenses where things are either great or complete shit. You're kind of like the devoted fanboys who thinks the game can do no wrong, just hanging out at the opposite end of the spectrum, you know? A different kind of turd. You can respond to do this if you please, but I won't argue with you. It was probably a mistake to respond to you in the first place. KEEP FIGHTING THE FIGHT!

That was an unexpectedly aggressive reaction. The game is undoubtedly looking pretty dated at this point - not that I would place the blame on ND, but simply because the PS3 is only capable of so much. Given that I've been playing predominantly PC games for the past few years, the aliasing and muddy textures in TLoU are pretty noticeable to me - not to mention the abominable frame-rate.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By NMC2008

I can't speak for the play experience personally but while watching a play-through I found it to be extremely boring to be honest, I didn't watch the whole game but up to a certain point I don't quite remember. Just to give you some perspective on myself, I watched Splinter Cell Conviction's play-through to the end days before it came out and still bought it day 1, so I care not for spoilers, the play-through made me want to play it, that's why I watch em since demos are seemingly on a hiatus. Overrated? Maybe, but what highly anticipated AAA game isn't these days?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

After seing it through, I understand if some reviewers out there didn't think it was as great or 'perfect'.

I think the main problem with the game is that there is almost no sense of danger from the enemies. In that E3 trailer, it seemed like 3 guys in a hotel lobby were the ultimate threat but in the retail version it seems Joel can take out 10 dudes without any real risk. As long as you scavenge enough, you'll have enough health, ammo and molotovs to take on anything. It also doesn't help that sometimes the enemies are complete morons.

I respect naughty dog for not falling back on endless set pieces like some of their other famous franchises and instead sticking to more gameplay. I just found some of it to be not so good, and when compared to the story and emotional moments, it almost falls flat. If for whatever reason there is a 'Last of Us 2' then I hope it doesn't just turn into Uncharted. I want any sequel to refine the gameplay because I know that studio can really make the mechanics shine if given another shot.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its pretty awesome so far.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

@vinny_says: I've started the game on hard from the beginning and anything more than three guys is terrifying, because I barely have enough recourses as it is, let alone encounters that'll just waste up even more of my recourses.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake: Referencing your post about the graphical anomalies: does Joel's backpack constantly fade in and out of focus for anyone else? It's not like every few minutes but literally every few seconds when I move the texture on his backpack seems to blur and then go back into focus.

It's also pretty clever of them to use in-engine for all their cutscenes but they're obviously using a higher resolution version with AA and AF bumped up. It is almost scary as the game comes out of a cutscene and into gameplay and the AA goes from x16 to x2.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@assinass:

Its aims are much higher than that. Not only does it completely subvert what is expected from naughty dog and the post apocolyptic genre, it also succeeds at discussing humanity and human choice in ways I have never seen before (in video games or otherwise).

Sounds like what I Am Alive did or what State of Decay does, maybe it might not feel as new to me. Well, glad to see your liked it so much.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rasmoss said:

I'm nearing the end, and my main problem with it is that I'm getting tired of the combat. It was really great in moderation, but now it's just combat scenario after combat scenario with tons of dudes. It's not even hard, it's just a grind. And it takes out of the realism. By now Joel and Ellie are basically just the bogstandard video game "I can take on 50 dudes and live"-characters, that I thought they were trying to avoid.

Honestly it was like that from the get go.

"Look out a bunch of infected/clickers"

*five minutes later*

lulz all dead. ZOMG so dangerous.

I will say, at the very least, I'm enjoying it more then Uncharted. Then again that's not really saying much.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People giving the game a 10 doesn't mean that it's perfect. I would personally give the game a 10 despite some gripes because I had to really look for them. The whole winter section was some of the best pacing I have seen in any game this generation and they somehow keep going with more amazing moments in the Spring. I do feel that the game is slow to start (although the prologue is amazing) but once you near the end of Summer, the game is on a whole other level of pacing and storytelling than most games out there. I think the end of Summer sets a tone which the rest of the game follows until the end

thebarrylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of the criticisms are justified. But I am perplexed that people would actually pass comment on how entertaining or well made a game is after they watched the ending online, or watched a lets play. Come on. You're not exactly endearing yourself as someone whose opinions are worth subscribing to. Just seems like you're going out of your way to scrounge an excuse to hop on the bandwagon. I wouldn't read the lyrics from an album online and then pass comment on how bad it is.

I also think to write the story off as average or worse is a pretty huge leap, but I guess it is subjective. But if you're argument is "why would they do this just for a couple of guns" I don't think you were paying close enough attention or are far enough into the game to start writing it off.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far, i love the characters and voice acting but the gameplay is kinda awkward feeling. I just started though, maybe it'll pick up when i start fighting infected, but i just ran through a group of guards and I felt like it was best just to slug it out instead of shoot or go stealth.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Having just finished the game, I don't think it's overrated at all.

I'd give it somewhere between a 9.5 and 10/10. (for reference, some of my other 10/10 games would be Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Persona 4 Golden and few others - but certainly not many).

I loved it - and I totally agree with both the lower scored reviews (to a lesser extent, of course, but the game does have its failings), and certainly the higher end of the reviews.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the motivations for the plot are incredibly weak. Hey let's do this super dangerous mission for some guns. Guns for what? They're two people. The hell do you need a bunch of guns for?

Probably because that was their job and way of sustaining themselves? You know, being smugglers and all.

Clickers being a one hit kill can be frustrating and it just feels cheap honestly, especially when you clear a whole area of enemies and then are done in and get to repeat all of that AGAIN.

Superfluous checkpoints would break the immersion. Screwups are not meant to be forgiven. That's the nature of the game.

And I don't know why people have to bring up the number that reviewers scored it. Who cares? It doesn't need to be perfect from your perspective to still be a good game. Trivial nitpicks don't make it average.

lizzard2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in New game+ survivor diffuculty and that shi*t is tense.. too bad that mode is not unlocked from the start,would be amazing to had played it not knowing the layout of the maps. Best game this year for me atleast 9.5 /10

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divisive opinions, must mean it's a good game.

Foxillusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By Foxillusion

@ares42 said:

The melee combat = mash square, not really very engaging.

I think this mentality is really bizarre; a lot of people use it. What, would mashing square and sometimes triangle be better?

Arkham was excellent combat and constantly cited and borrowed from these days, but it was at its core also just mashing square, in different directions. And sometimes pressing triangle when you see a prompt.

It's not about what buttons you're pressing, it's about the tension. That one opponent is super dangerous and if you don't get rid of him quick he can end you pretty fast. You spend so much time hiding in that game and trying to avoid getting seen that when you do go for melee, it's intense and stressful.

And just try just mashing square at dudes playing as Ellie and see how long you last. There's more going on here, it's just higher level design choices that make it interesting and a cool experience to play. Who cares what buttons you're pressing.

gottem_guiz123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By gottem_guiz123

It's the best survival horror game of all time, the best game of the year and the best game of the generation. That said it might not be better than Super Metroid. I hope Naughty Dog makes something to bridge the gap between Uncharted and The Last of Us to make another Resident Evil 4 of joy and courage. The gameplay is excellent, let's say, Patrick's gripe about having too much stuff is ill founded as there's nothing wrong with having a sense of progression even in a game with a serious tone (also you absolutely can marathon the game, just take the occasional break when something disturbing or heartbreaking happens to reflect). In fact it sort of goes along with the narrative. There are a shitload of ways to approach most encounters and I could see replaying this 5 or 6 times and not getting bored, and that's not even touching the superb multiplayer.

That said there are a few extremely minor issues with the game; the vast majority of the combat arenas do not have blatantly obvious chest high walls but there are 2 or 3 that due and it's kind of immersion breaking, sadly one of those is within the first hour. The first few combat sections don't have as much variety as the rest of the game and thus aren't quite as interesting, but you still get the toss brick/toss molotov joy relatively early on.

The story isn't great? Compared to what? Every other story in a game ever? Did you mean to say plot? It's a better story than every movie that's come out this year except Mud, and games almost never have anything even scratching the surface of vaguely decent cinematic structure.

Jesus Christ lol...well I guess that's your opinion and I can't fault you for it.

But you're totally wrong.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gottem_guiz123: Well argued sir, good show. U R RONG is a tough argument to beat.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Divisive opinions, must mean it's a good game.

anymore it seems to be a sign of something worth playing at the very least

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.